Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

View this email in your browser Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Bryce Perkins - August 13,

August 13, 2021 04:45PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean

Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Bryce Perkins

Head Coach Sean McVay (On QB Bryce Perkins and being able to use his legs to make plays) “I think it just keeps defenses honest. So much of what you see is predicated on defenses. Usually plan 11 on 10, where they're not necessarily having to account for the quarterback as a runner. You can certainly do those things with him and then when things break down off schedule, if somebody gets beat, that athleticism, he can kind of find a way of when it's wrong, making it right. That’s what he did at his career in Virginia, he's done that at practices for us over the last year, now you guys will get a chance to see it too.”

(On coaching a running quarterback to go through their progression and not just scramble)
“I think it’s a fine line. I mean, when things do break down, there's always a timing and a rhythm in the pass game that we're trying to get these guys to intrinsically feel and to be able to work through progressions, we talk about exhausting progressions. Sometimes it doesn't always work how you draw it up and somebody might get beat up front and that's where you feel like, ‘Hey, let your instincts take over and be able to keep the play alive.’ I think he's done a really good job. (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin (O’Connell) and (Assistant Quarterbacks Coach) Zac (Robinson) have done an outstanding job of really communicating with him. I think he's shown really good progression as a quarterback.”

(On what he hopes to see from the team in the first preseason game)
“I think you want to see guys enjoy themselves and play well, put good tape out there for themselves. There's a lot of guys, like we mentioned, that won't be playing, but this is important to a lot of guys. It's important for us to continue to get evaluations, especially for those younger players. You want to see good, sharp operation. I think what you want to make sure is guys compete to the best of their ability, but also go play with a quieted mind. Guys are usually at their best when they're, ‘Hey, we're going to go compete.’ We're going to have an urgent enjoyment. You hear me talk about that. I want to see guys do that. And then the guys that aren't playing, (I) want to see them do a nice job of pouring into their teammates, being able to offer advice and perspective that they're seeing, because some of the things that their own teammates see is it's really powerful coming from the (DL) Aaron Donalds of the world or the (Qcool smiley Matthew Staffords, the (Ccool smiley Jalen Ramseys – that's what I want to see tomorrow.”

(On how he arrived at the guys that will and won’t play tomorrow)
"How it's unfolded has been interesting, but really what you look at is in a lot of senses, guys that have played a lot of football, we're going to err on the side of caution. Now, can you take that approach throughout the whole preseason when you go from 85 to 80? We're probably going to have to get creative and see what that looks like. You also want to be mindful of all right, how do these guys play well, knowing that you still have to fill out the special teams. Ultimately what it boiled down to is a lot of the guys that we’re resting are guys that have played a significant amount of meaningful snaps in this league. So, we're going to have a good evaluation of a lot of our younger players. That's kind of how we got to where we're at. And then there are some guys, there's a handful of those players that I mentioned yesterday, in terms of when I throw out that 35 number, a lot of those guys would be playing, but they're actually injured and we're forced to hold them out as precautionary reasons.”

(On what it’s like playing former Rams Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley)
“It’s interesting. Being a preseason game, it's a little bit different, if it was a regular season game, there's always a fun chess match, but you know, the players make all this stuff come to life. (Chargers head Coach) Brandon (Staley) is a great coach, did a phenomenal job for us. Very grateful for all the contributions and excited to see these guys compete tomorrow.”

(On if he felt like Staley would be with the Rams that he would be here longer than a year)
“I wasn't surprised about what happened. You could see he did a great job, being able to lead the defense. In addition to our other defensive coaches who have done such a great job. The players played really well. I wasn't surprised. I knew that if he got a chance to compete for a job, based on his organizational structure, his thought process, he's a really deep thinker. You could see he had been preparing himself for those opportunities for a while. He'll do a good job with those guys.”

(On why Perkins was passed over in the draft and what the Rams saw in him)
“I can't speak for anybody else. I know that we really liked the player. (General Manager) Les Snead was a big fan and watching him when his son, Logan (Snead) was at Virginia and being really familiar with watching (Qcool smiley Bryce (Perkins) lead the way. You talk about really raising the level of play of everybody around you, being able to lead those guys to a conference championship game. I can remember watching that opening drive as he takes them right down the field. Clemson is a pretty impressive team and they ended up getting the better of Them. But Bryce is an elite competitor. I can't speak for that. I'm just glad Bryce is with us.”
  QB Bryce Perkins

(On how tomorrow’s game will feel for him) “It's going to be fun. Last year, we didn't get for a chance of a preseason. So, kind of the first time getting out there in a game environment, competing, going out there, performing all the things that we practiced over the last year, for me, for the last two years this year and last year. It's going to be exciting, I know energy is going to be up. We're all locked in and prepared. Our coaches do a great job of preparing us in practice for these moments. I think everybody that's playing tomorrow, we'll be in good hands.”

(On how much more comfort he feels now versus being here a year ago)
“A lot. I mean from last year, I remember hearing some of the play calls, I'm like, ‘Oh, there's no way I'll ever be able to get these play calls down,’ but now, feel really comfortable about hearing the play call, getting in and out, and then going out there and executing it. That alone just allows you to play faster. As we know, when you're allowed to take some of the stress off thinking a lot at quarterback, you perform better.”

(On if he’s nervous, anxious or ready for live game action)
“No, man. I'm ready for real. A big part of my game is my legs. So, we'll get a chance to kind of do both and showcase what I got speed-wise. I'm ready. I mean, being a football player and not playing football, really in the whole year, kind of gets you anxious to get back out there. I'm excited. I know the guys out here excited and we're ready to go.”

(On if he thinks the playbook will be similar to when QB John Wolford plays)
“The great thing about (Qcool smiley John (Woldford), and me and really even (QB Devlin Hodges) ‘Duck,’ a lot of the play calls are still the same. Some variations of it will change. But definitely, a chance for us to get out there and kind of show our legs a little.”

(On what QB Matthew Stafford has brought to the team)
“It's just a new perspective. (Lions Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) brought one perspective in last year, then (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) brings in another one being in there for, I think this is his 13th year. He's great to work with. He definitely shows he cares. When the young guys that are in, he comes in and tells us and coaches us and, he just doesn't let us go out there and make a mistake without learning from it. So, he's a great guy to be around, a better human being. He's always smiling, always laughing, having a good time. As a young guy seeing that, that's what you want.”

(On what he’s most looking forward to in tomorrow’s game)
“I think a big part of offense is getting the play call, going up there and making everything a smooth operation. Everybody's emotions and energy is going to be high. We know there's going to be mistakes here and there, but for the most part, how do we come out and make everything kind of look uniform –everybody together, going out one heartbeat, executing what we got and then learning from mistakes as we go and keep pushing on.”

(On putting up big numbers in college and finally getting his opportunity to display his talent)
“I know how the league goes. My brother was in the NFL for probably 4 years when I was in college, so I always just take every opportunity to learn. My biggest thing is growth mindset. I'd rather go out there when I feel ready mentally, than going out there, rushing out there just because I want to be out there. I love coming out here and learning and watching the guys and taking different stuff from different guys and learning how to be a pro’s pro.”

(On his run game and balancing the passing mindset)
“Just really sticking with your feet and your reads. (Offensive Coordinator) Coach (Kevin) O’Connell does a great job of teaching feet. Letting our feet take us through our progression. So, when you really dial in that in (individuals) and team and 7-on-7, it's easier for you to play a rhythm. You’re not using your feet prematurely or just things kind of look muddy and then you're sloppy and you can't make a throw. So, you just use your legs as a default source. That's another part of my game, my feet and going through my progression.”

(On having fans in the stands)
“I know it's going to be a live atmosphere, especially (with) fans not being able to come last year. We did a little bit of stuff in the OTAs, our fans were able to come out, but first action will come against a different team, competition. I know it's going to be filled (with) both of us being from Los Angeles. It's going to be exciting and I'm looking forward to it.”

(On Hodges competing for a roster spot)
“I love it. I mean, I love coming out here, competing and learning different stuff from different guys. The biggest thing is, it's a competition, but that synergy and that relationship in the QB room is important. ‘Duck’ has been great. I love having him in the QB room. All four of us, it's a very comfortable QB room. I'm excited for both of us to go out there and kind of do what we do. We’ve been talking about it just on the sideline, as John and Matthew get most of the reps, we were like, ‘You know, our time to shine is August 14th.’ So, we're both prepared and ready to go out there.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

View this email in your browser Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Bryce Perkins - August 13,

Shaky310August 13, 2021 04:45PM