Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A nice Aug 10 camp report by 49RH8R…

August 11, 2021 10:12AM
Here’s 49RH8R…

Great day at UCI yesterday. I got there early and grabbed some food so I could focus on watching my LA Rams. I cannot emphasize how big this event has become. Their first year back you could get up close and see everything and the players would come along the fence with no threat of being hassled for an autograph or whatever. Now they have various stages for interviews, more bleachers, exclusive VIP areas, and gourmet food trucks. Tofu poke anybody? On the stage when you first came in they had LeRoy Irvin, Mike Lansford, Reggie Doss. I saw Roland Williams and some other guys walking around too. The legend’s tables were packed but I’m not an autograph guy so I blew it off. I wanted to talk to Rosey Grier and Frank Corrall but when I went back, all the players were already done signing autographs and were milling around. Great location for this.

Some things I saw, observed, and overheard in no particular order:

Jake Funk was going 100% with no knee brace. Thought he’d have a brace for practice at least.

Brian Allen took a lot of reps at OC.

They did a lot of work on jet sweeps with every WR. Can’t wait to see Atwell and DJax turn the corner during the season.

Robert Woods is clearly a team leader and McVay leaned on him during practice and had him lead off a lot of drills.

Best part of the day was when they were doing drills on 10-yard hitch routes. Stafford was throwing and the WR’s were quickly rotating in and out. When Atwell was up, McVay ran over and covered him like a DB. It surprised everybody especially Atwell. Then McVay started covering everybody. They switched to go-routes and he was still playing DB. DJax burned him for a TD which was hilarious. It’s no wonder players love McVay.

Desean Jackson and Van Jefferson both looked exceptionally good.

There is some chemistry between Stafford and VJ for sure. Beautiful TD to VJ.

Atwell has great hands and is a WR first. I don’t think I saw him drop a ball all day.

Hopkins got a lot of playing time behind Higbee. He and Blanton are huge. The Rams have a lot of size with Hopkins, Blanton, Harris and Skowrenek. That was clearly an offseason priority.

Xavier Jones reminded me of Robert Holcomb wearing #25 (Long Jr. was #25 last year).

There were more than a half dozen guys fielding punts/kicks. It looks like totally an open competition. Calais, Anderson, Funk, Haydel, Koski, all got reps. Calais probably got the most reps and I got the feeling they want him to win the job. That would add another RB to the 53 and would allow Atwell to focus on offense.

That being said, Atwell was just on another level when it comes to speed.

Funny rookie mistake by Atwell. He was kind of doggin’ it after a return and his back was to the punter. The punter kicked it and the 2 coverage guys were running down the field towards Atwell. They could’ve creamed him if they wanted to but Atwell was totally surprised how fast the next rep came. This ain’t college anymore TuTu!

Skowronek was on all possible ST units so I think they want him to win a job too.

My guess is Calais will get every chance to be the PR/KR.

Hollins was starting opposite Floyd.

Deayon took lot of reps at CB2, not sure why D Williams wasn’t practicing but he may have been banged up. I saw a little limp and his left ankle looked taped.

Didn’t see Rochell out there but he was suited up with the broken wrist.

Reeder is built like a tree trunk. He’s solid from head to toe.

SJD was not in pads but was joking with Aaron Donald when they were walking off the field so I’m sure he’s fine.

LeRoy Irvin lives in Rosarito beach Mexico which is pretty cool. I wonder how many old school LA Rams fans run into him down there and get the shock of their lives. He looks the same.

All these new numbers will take some getting used to so get ready!

Someone got carted off at the end of practice and saw it was 87, Jacob Harris. I assumed he was injured but they drove him to the field behind the bleachers where the soccer field was. He started kicking the ball around and the Rams org was filming it so it might be for an interview or profile coming up soon.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the entire starting OL out on the field when practice was over and all the fans left. Whitworth, Noteboom, Havenstein, were working together and Euro designate Max Pritcher and UDFA Jordan Merideth were also out there. One would play the DL and the other would be the OL and then they’d switch.

An employee of the Rams was talking to a friend on the fence and said they are definitely looking in house at RB’s first before (if) signing a FA.

McVay watches everything and everybody like a hawk out there. Always hyper focused.

I had a long talk with D’Marco Farr after practice and he is super cool and a very nice guy. He made time for every fan that wanted an autograph or a picture. He said it was great to see all those guys in Canton last week.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A nice Aug 10 camp report by 49RH8R…

Rams43605August 11, 2021 10:12AM

Re: Agree on this point

leafnose201August 11, 2021 04:28PM