June 21, 2021 08:13PM
RockRam
I think Troy Reeder is on his way to becoming the 2021 ILB starter.... probably alongside Jones. He just looks right out there on the field. Reeder has a good feel for the game, right place, right time, doesn't seem to blow assignments, he just needs to keep improving his game in all phases. I suspect Young is gone unless he really steps up ($$).

All-Pro? I seriously doubt it. But reliability, availability, and consistency is hugely valuable in a football player. Why do I think Jones will also start? His brain. His on-field leadership. His ability to call D's which has been his calling card for years. They need an ILB to wear the green dot if possible. And that has a ton to do with why (to many's consternation) was drafted a little earlier than expected when there were bigger names still on the board. Snead and McVay echoed one another that Jones was a guy they had targeted.... just as was Tutu.

It is an interesting conversation to consider Reeder and Jones on the field together. I don't think that would work too well (both are very similar height/weight/speed and physical LOS type LBs), but vs some teams maybe that's what they'll do, i.e. vs the really strong run fronts.

But I agree that Reeder is going to hold Jones off a bit. The guy played quite well for us last year and has room to get better. Jones will really need to excel in camp to beat him out. It's coming of course. But maybe not right away. I've watched Reeder on defense quite a bit after the season and even though I really wanted an ILB added I have to admit he straight surprises a lot on tape. The guy has a really respectable high hustle game and he's a smart player.

In that Green Bay game he had a great play vs the pass in the redzone where he saved a TD. Then he turns around and whiffs in the hole when he had the RB dead to rights. So it can be a mixed bag granted. But I think the value of Reeder is he allows Jones to really settle in without being rushed. Let him have full command of things before you put him out there as the guy and all that. And either way we are going to have better competition now at that position which tends to produce better starters. I'm pretty happy right now even waiting on Jones to arrive. Feels good to know we might have that future guy who can snuff out the run games. thumbs up smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

5 Rams players whose stock is on the rise after OTA’s…

Rams43632June 21, 2021 06:46AM

Some guys just develop and play better than their metrics

RockRam203June 21, 2021 08:17AM

Re: Some guys just develop and play better than their metrics

merlin142June 21, 2021 08:13PM

I still have hopes for Reeder

21Dog206June 22, 2021 04:00AM