Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DeSean Jackson receives strong signals about Rams’ potential…

June 09, 2021 06:40AM
DeSean Jackson receives strong signals about Rams’ potential​

[www.ocregister.com]

THOUSAND OAKS — In 13 NFL seasons, DeSean Jackson has caught passes for very good teams and very bad teams.

Knowing what makes certain teams championship contenders, he already sees the 2021 Rams in that class.

“First day I came here, man, I could see there was something different about this team. The camaraderie, the mentality, you could tell it’s something special,” Jackson, the L.A. native and former Long Beach Poly star who signed with the Rams in March, said Tuesday after the first practice of a three-day minicamp.

“I’ve been on teams where certain individuals had contract issues or personal issues or had a situation with the GM or (another) player. When you come here, you don’t feel none of that. You feel like everybody’s on the same page, everybody has one common goal. All the personal stuff, the outside world, none of that matters.”

Jackson sees it starting at the top with the coach and star players.

“(It’s) Sean McVay setting the tone, and having guys like Jalen Ramsey, Aaron Donald, Matthew Stafford, Robert Woods, Coop (Cooper Kupp), I could go on and on. The energy is great here,” Jackson said of his head coach and new teammates.

He compared these Rams to the team he joined as a second-round draft pick from Cal. Those were the 2008 Eagles coached by Andy Reid and led by Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook and Brian Dawkins. They went to the NFC championship game, only to be upset by Arizona.

“They had a demeanor,” Jackson said of the veterans. “Those guys held accountability for every player from top to bottom.”

One test of the all-for-one culture Jackson sees could come in the wide receiver group, which has more hands competing for touches since Jackson, 34, and second-round draft pick Tutu Atwell joined Kupp, Woods and Van Jefferson. (Josh Reynolds departed.)

Jackson calls it a “scary group,” and is counting on the maturity of the receivers to embrace their roles as McVay and quarterback Matthew Stafford decide who gets the ball.

“In the NFL, there’s always other great guys. It’s not me, me, me,” Jackson said. “As you get older, you understand the Patriots of the world, the Steelers. They have a system, and once you understand that system, it’s kind of interchangeable. Every guy can be the next man up.”

Jackson’s comfort with the Rams is enhanced by his familiarity with the playbook, since McVay was Washington’s offensive coordinator when Jackson was there.

Said McVay of Jackson: “He’s always been a really smart player. And fortunately, because of our pre-existing relationship, if I’ve changed the vernacular or verbiage on some things, (I can) say, ‘Hey, what you knew as ‘NASCAR’ is now ‘spear.’”

Said Jackson of McVay: “The only thing I can say has changed about him is he’s got a lot more smarter. And he already was smart.”

Jackson hopes the team spirit he has seen so far continues from June to January.

“It’s all pieces to the puzzle,” he said, “and if everybody plays their part, you have something special.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

DeSean Jackson receives strong signals about Rams’ potential…

Rams43603June 09, 2021 06:40AM

Re: Music to my ears...LOVE IT!

oldschoolramfan225June 09, 2021 08:03AM

video interview

Axl212June 09, 2021 08:13AM

Everybody's on the same page

PHDram198June 09, 2021 08:27AM

Geez Louise...

DaJudge236June 09, 2021 09:13AM

Re: Everybody's on the same page

Rams43193June 09, 2021 09:25AM

Re: Everybody's on the same page

oldschoolramfan188June 09, 2021 11:23AM

DeSean receives strong signals about Rams’ potential: Stay healthy!

Anonymous User147June 09, 2021 02:41PM