Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Leaner A’Shawn Robinson ready to fill Rams’ opening

June 07, 2021 05:58AM

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

The Los Angeles Rams signed A’Shawn Robinson in free agency last year with the intention of having the former Alabama All-American replace Michael Brockers in their defensive line.

That didn’t happen for a couple of reasons, both related to the coronavirus pandemic. But this year, Robinson appears ready to join All-Pro defensive tackle Aaron Donald and nose tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day at defensive end after the Rams traded Brockers to the Detroit Lions this offseason.

The Rams’ roster lists Robinson’s weight as 330 pounds, but that’s not the Robinson that is working at Los Angeles’ offseason practices. He wants to play at 300 or 305 pounds this season, “then next year I’ll think about getting down to 290, and we’ll see from there,” Robinson said.

The weight loss has Robinson feeling “great.”

“It all started when I first came here,” Robinson said. “They wanted me to lose some weight, and I thought about how I played in Detroit and how big I was and how much better I would be if I leaned up some. So I got my chef in place, I got my workout regimens in place, I started doing my Pilates and yoga -- really just harnessing in my body, working on every bit of it. …

“It stemmed from my diet and getting my bloodwork done and just seeing what I can’t eat and can eat and how it affects my body, how it doesn’t affect it. I really invested a lot of time in my body just so I could be ready for the team.”

Robinson said to reach his weight goals, he had to stay away from “carbs” and “anything fried.”

“I do a little bit more of like a vegan/pescatarian,” Robinson said of his new eating habits. “Get my protein through, like, my supplements and whatnot so I can still keep charged up and everything. I really try just to harness on eating as clean as possible.”

The Rams had the No. 1 defense in the NFL in 2020, yielding the fewest points and the fewest yards in the league. Likely to enter the lineup for a nine-year starter, Robinson said he didn’t want to be a weak link for Los Angeles.

“I want to be the best for these guys,” Robinson said of his new physique. “I’m not going to go out here and slack and let any of these guys down. I don’t want to let AD, Bash, Greg and Coach Henny and them down. I don’t want to let nobody down on this team.

[www.al.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill267June 07, 2021 05:58AM

Thanks RB for posting the actual article

ferragamo79154June 07, 2021 07:13AM