Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams LT Andrew Whitworth Looks Forward to Playing at 40

June 03, 2021 02:59PM

Veteran OL trains with teammates at home gym nicknamed "The Dojo"

ERIC D. WILLIAMS
JUN 2, 2021

Andrew Whitworth knows the game on this year’s schedule when he’ll turn 40 years old.

It’s a Week 14 road contest on Dec. 13 against the Arizona Cardinals.

Whitworth turns 40 years old a day earlier on Dec. 12.

However, entering his 16th NFL season, the 39-year-old veteran doesn’t take anything for granted; Whitworth knows he must make it through the league’s grueling, marathon season first -- which includes playing a 17-game season for the first time in his NFL career.

“If we get there and we have that opportunity, it would be a really cool feat,” Whitworth said. “Honestly, just playing my 16th season is the first thing to check off, and I can’t wait to walk out Week 1, and just the journey to get to that. I take it step by step, and I’m looking forward to this season. I’m excited about it.”

Whitworth was unable to do that in 2020, missing seven games during the regular season due a PCL and MCL tear in his left knee.

However, the hunger to get back on the field and speed of which he returned for the postseason confirmed Whitworth’s desire to play another year.

“As soon as I realized in the offseason that rehab and all of those things had gone really well and we felt like we were in a great spot, I knew I wanted to play the game mentally and, in my heart, so it was a pretty easy decision,” Whitworth said.

Of course, there were some financial considerations to take care of first.

“You’re sitting there, and you’re trying to figure out how to fit yourself under the salary cap,” Whitworth said. “And at the same time, I’m joking that, ‘Hey, if I would have stayed healthy, I would be asking you guys to double my salary. But unfortunately, I didn’t, so here we are and let’s figure it out.’”

[www.si.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill233June 03, 2021 02:59PM