Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Matthew Stafford says thumb fine, outlook bright in first offseason with Los Angeles Rams

May 27, 2021 04:31PM
Matthew Stafford says thumb fine, outlook bright in first offseason with Los Angeles Rams

May 24, 2021
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Matthew Stafford says his offseason thumb surgery isn't an impediment to anything he wants to do during his first offseason workouts with the Los Angeles Rams.

Learning a new offense and getting to know every player in the Rams' locker room present more than enough challenges for the veteran passer, but he's confident he has enough time to get everything done.

And after the NFL missed out on most offseason team work last spring due to the coronavirus pandemic, Stafford is grateful he picked this year to switch teams.

"Selfishly, I'm liking these times," Stafford said Monday in his first public comments since the start of the Rams' offseason program. "It's giving me the chance to be on the field and calling plays and going against our defense a little bit. Just above-the-neck stuff, being able to work the mental aspect of the game. So that part of it has been great for me. ... I feel like everybody is figuring out what works best for them as an organization, and I feel like we've accomplished that."

After four months of offseason rest and several weeks of getting used to daily sunshine in his new home, Stafford said he is settling in nicely with the Rams.

Stafford also said he is feeling healthier. He played through a torn ligament in his right thumb for the second half of last season with the Detroit Lions while throwing for 4,084 yards and 26 touchdowns. Stafford also injured his ribs, his left knee and his right ankle, yet still started all 16 games for the ninth time in 10 years.

[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill238May 27, 2021 04:31PM