Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Troy Aikman: Matthew Stafford winning NFL MVP ‘wouldn’t shock me at all’...

May 22, 2021 07:10AM
Troy Aikman: Matthew Stafford winning NFL MVP 'wouldn't shock me at all'

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Matthew Stafford came into the NFL with high expectations as the first overall pick in 2009, hoping to be the Detroit Lions’ savior after a historically bad 0-16 season the year before he arrived. Now 12 years later, the pressure on Stafford might be even greater than it was during his rookie year.

That’s because he’s entering his first season with the Los Angeles Rams after a blockbuster trade during the offseason. The Rams went all-in once again by making this massive deal and as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl, Stafford has plenty of pressure resting on his shoulders.

Three-time Super Bowl champion Troy Aikman knows all about pressure and success, and he fully expects Stafford to put together the best season of his career. In fact, he wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams quarterback wins NFL MVP in 2021.

“I know Matthew well. I love the guy. I think he’s terrific. And I think he’s going to play his best football this year. I really do,” Aikman told Sam Farmer of the L.A. Times. “I think for him to get to work with Sean McVay and that offense, I really expect Matthew to have his best season of his career. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he’s the MVP of the league.

“But with that being said, there are expectations … and he knows it. And that’s what he wants. I mean, that’s what he’s been dreaming of. That’s what he’s wanted the whole time he’s been in Detroit: he’s wanted to be on a contender. And at the end of the day, that’s how you make your mark. And so I’m excited for him and this opportunity that he has.”

According to BetMGM, Stafford is +1800 to win MVP. Those are the seventh-best odds in the NFL, behind the likes of Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray and Tom Brady.

That’s some good company to be in, but Stafford still has a lot to prove. He’s made the postseason just three times and has never won a playoff game. For a player to win MVP, his team also has to have success.

Missing the playoffs would assuredly eliminate Stafford from MVP contention and likely mean a disappointing season for the veteran quarterback.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Troy Aikman: Matthew Stafford winning NFL MVP ‘wouldn’t shock me at all’...

Rams43192May 22, 2021 07:10AM