Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low priced FAs have a real disincentive to sign with a California team

May 15, 2021 05:39AM
While this could apply to all players, the reality is that signing with a California based team is costly.

Brady flat out said he would ONLY play for a Florida team and this due to Florida having no personal income tax.
Imagine if you are a $1mil per year low level FA. Signing in California is going to cost you around $100K out of your pocket that in many other teams/states would be far lessened or eliminated altogether. $100K is not chump change for someone like that.

If you are a $20 mil player that number jumps closer to $2mil (and yes I know that there are deductions). But even if it was $1mil, I don't care how big your salary that is one heck of a lot of money.

What I'm saying is that each year that goes by California raises taxes and eliminates deductions or tax preferences (like capital gains) that costs serious money. I'm not bashing. I'm saying that these players and their agents are usually well aware of this. Of course, I'm sure there are other factors involved in making a choice of teams..... assuming a player is given a choice.... but don't think that California teams may not be paying a little more for signing desired vets than other places to at least partially offset the extreme cost of living and the high high taxes.

It's just the math. And it does matter. I'm even wondering if the NFL might not some day have to figure out some kind of salary cap equalizer to adjust for high cost of living and high tax states.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Low priced FAs have a real disincentive to sign with a California team

RockRam645May 15, 2021 05:39AM

IMO Not As Big a Deal as you think.

den-the-coach324May 15, 2021 07:00AM

Re: IMO Not As Big a Deal as you think.

BearlyThere210May 15, 2021 07:24AM

And though not huge, there is the NFL Playoff $$

stlramz154May 16, 2021 09:15AM

Relatively few players get that big 2nd contract or endorsements

RockRam388May 16, 2021 11:08AM

Re: 9 States do not have a state income tax