Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anticipating the most compelling matchups of 2021

May 10, 2021 04:48PM

May 10, 2021 at 11:13 AM

J.B. Long
Voice of the L.A. Rams

There's not a bad game on this 2021 schedule.

Sure, I have my favorites. And hopefully, you do, too.

But no one has to look very hard to find riveting reasons to like each and every showdown.

Below, I've ranked the Rams opponents from least-to-most compelling, with a brief blurb on their post-Draft latest. Note that this is not meant to anticipate the strength or competitiveness of the foes; purely just a reflection of my interest level in the associated storylines.

For tough calls, I prioritized home games over road, NFC over AFC, and division rivalries over all (except one).

Let me know where you agree and disagree.

Cannot wait to have the dates and times locked in this Wednesday at 5 p.m. PT.

at Houston Texans

Not many are high on Houston right now, which is why some 2021 mock drafts already have the Texans on the clock.

Coming off a 4-12 season and with uncertainty at quarterback, the Texans didn't draft until the third pick of Round Three. Having already signed Tyrod Taylor in free agency, Houston also selected Stanford's Davis Mills.

Who takes the snaps is still to be determined, but at least seeing former Ram Brandin Cooks in person will be something to look forward to.

at New York Giants

Last year's game at SoFi Stadium against the Giants was a slog, with the Rams needing a late, diving interception from Darious Williams to finally seal it in the fourth quarter.

New York went to work on their passing game – offensive and defensive – in the New Year, adding WR Kenny Golladay from Detroit and using their first draft pick on Florida receiver Kadarius Toney. They also invested in corner Adoree' Jackson in free agency, while selecting Georgia edge defender Azeez Ojulari and Central Florida corner Aaron Robinson on Day Two.

With these investments, the Giants could be uniquely equipped to combat the Rams talents on the perimeter in 2021, even if 2020 was a grudge match in the trenches.

Jacksonville Jaguars

The NFL's No. 1 overall selection Trevor Lawrence visits Inglewood as a rookie, and so does one of the biggest names in coaching, as Urban Meyer tests the NFL waters.

Oh, by the way, it's also Jalen Ramsey's first opportunity to face his former franchise.

Tennessee Titans

This is one of 15 Super Bowl rematches on the 2021 slate, according to NFL Research, as the Rams and Titans reprise Super Bowl XXXIV. And it's conceivable this might not be the Titans' only visit to Inglewood next season.

Tennessee made one of the more significant risk-reward selections of the first round considering Virginia Tech cornerback Caleb Farley's injury history.

The Titans also handed out the second-biggest contract in free agency. Only Niners offensive tackle Trent Williams ($138 million) signed for more potential money than edge Bud Dupree was offered ($82.5 million) to leave Pittsburgh for the AFC South.

at Minnesota Vikings

If I could place this game on Thursday Night Football right now, I would, if only because of how spectacular the last meeting between these teams was in that same spotlight (Week 4, 2018).

But returning to U.S. Bank Stadium comes with a much different memory, one in which the Rams punched in an opening touchdown, only to see the Vikings score the next 27 unanswered (Week 11, 2017).

McVay and Kirk Cousins always make for good theater. However, the feature film has to be the first career collision between Ramsey and Minnesota phenom Justin Jefferson, who was All-Pro as a rookie receiver.

at Indianapolis Colts

We could go so many directions here, and the trip to Lucas Oil could easily rank higher on this list.

Some see Indianapolis as an AFC contender; Carson Wentz in a new uniform reunited with Frank Reich is a fascinating experiment; the Colts took edge rushers Kwity Paye and Dayo Odeyingbo (likely to redshirt after tearing his Achilles in January) with their first two picks, adding to a defensive arsenal that already includes All-Pro tackle DeForest Buckner and linebacker Darius Leonard (who happens to be the best-case projection for new Rams linebacker Ernest Jones).

But honestly? Just give me a camera isolated on Colts guard Quentin Nelson and Aaron Donald for a full game. That alone would be a ratings bonanza.

[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill262May 10, 2021 04:48PM