Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jake Funk could play significant role immediately

May 09, 2021 06:01PM
Jake Funk could play significant role immediately; update on undrafted free agents

ByJEFF ERMANN

While most seventh-round NFL Draft picks are simply hoping to make the roster, former Maryland standout Jake Funk could be looking at making an immediate impact for the L.A. Rams according to NFL analyst of Peter Schrager of FoxSports.com and the TV show Good Morning Football.

“I assure you this: The Rams are not taking offensive players in the seventh round if they don’t plan on using him in some way,” Schrager, who appears to have a good relationship with Rams coach Sean McVay, said on Good Morning Football last week. “You could be looking at your third-down back in that Rams offense. With Cam Akers playing running back, you always have to have that yin and the yang. That could be Jake Funk. Furthermore, special teams. This guy made his pitch on ‘Good Morning Football’ and said ‘I can do it on coverage teams, I can return kicks, I can return punts.’ Guess what? He’ll do just that for the Los Angeles Rams. I don’t know what number he’s going to wear – maybe 34 – I think we’re going to be wearing that jersey.”

Schrager ranked Funk the fifth-best pick of the entire third day of the Draft. The former Terps running back, who ranked second nationally in yards per carry last season, can help his cause for a roster spot by showing his special teams ability.

"I never gave up faith. I knew L.A. really liked me. I knew that they love the special teams component that I bring and it's something that I think helped me get to the point where I'm at I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the special teams aspect of my game and that's something that L.A. just continued to preach, is that you're gonna make our team through special teams," he said last week.

[247sports.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Get to know Jake Funk

RamBill246May 09, 2021 05:22PM

Jake Funk could play significant role immediately

RamBill211May 09, 2021 06:01PM