Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 5/1... Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -

May 01, 2021 04:45PM
DL Earnest Brown IV

(On how he is feeling right now)
"I’m the happiest man alive right now. You don't understand."

(On who is there with him) 
"My sister, my mom, my brother-in-law, two groups of my family friends and my niece and nephews."

(On if he feels like he can be an outside/inside player along the defensive line) 
"Oh, of course. I mean, I feel like I'm a versatile player. I could play outside, inside. I think that's what Northwestern had me do to get prepared for the next level, so I feel like I could play anywhere."

(On how he felt after he found out he would be joining a defensive line the included DL Aaron Donald)
"Like I said, I'm going to say this the whole day, the happiest man alive. Y'all had, well now I can say we, we had the best defense the last year, coming up and I can just put some more on that as well and learn after some defensive linemen from the Rams, it's the best feeling in the world, especially (DL) Aaron Donald."

(On if he had a good feeling that the Rams would be interested in him)
"I definitely did. I talked to (Defensive Line Coach Eric Henderson) ‘Coach Henny’ a lot. We kept in contact almost every week leading past, I want to say February, but we just kept in good contact, probably the best relationship at of everybody and I appreciate him for believing in me. I appreciate the Rams for believing me and I will put forth the work every single day when I get to the Rams’ facility."

(On how he feels about being on the West Coast and his relationship with Chargers T Rashawn Slater)
"It is amazing. That's my boy. Just going up against him at practice every day, well this was two years ago, but it just got me better. He went first round, he helped me out. He critiqued me on what I should do, and I critiqued him on what he should do. It just, it feels amazing because I've never been on the West Coast like that. I was born in the West Coast for six months and I left here for Texas. So, I get to feel that again as 22 years old. So, it's going to be pretty amazing." 

(On the physicality of the Big Ten Conference and how it prepped him to play at the NFL level)
"Oh yeah, of course. At Northwestern, we learned the fundamentals. (Northwestern Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald) Coach Fitz does a great job. (Northwestern Assistant Coach - Defensive Line Coach Marty Long) Coach Long, my defensive line coach, we all talk about the fundamentals of football and we get down and we got a punch, physical punch, lockout, extension tackle, all of that stuff. So, I think it really did prepare me for the next level."

(On what the last 48 hours have been like)
“Just looking at the draft and realizing that I might have the potential to be a part of this thing is so amazing. It's a once in a lifetime chance, and you look on the screen and to see your name called – it's the best feeling in the world. I just can't believe that you all believe in me. I'll put forth the effort every single day. I'm going to show you all what I can do. I'm just really the happiest man alive right now.”

(On what his conversations were like with the Rams leading up to the Draft)
“I had a great relationship with Coach Henderson. We talked almost every single week. It was just catching up. He's putting my mindset as being a ‘dawg’ every day and that's really helped me out through training all throughout this time and it has been basically that.”

(On how evolved into a starter as a senior for Northwestern University)
“Freshman year, I was a young pup, of course, 18 coming out at 255 (pounds). I played almost every single game except for one, I played like five snaps a game. Then going into sophomore year, I was a little lighter. I was about 250 and (DE) Joe Gaziano, who is now with the Chargers, great player, led the team in sacks and was starting over me, and we had (Northwestern DL) Samdup (Miller), another great one that is going in next year, he came back from injury. Had that happen, was great on my last stretch, my last half of the season. And then junior year came in and I was 270, gained a couple pounds and felt the best at that weight. I was stopped shortly because of injury, my pectoral injury, but then motivation happened, and my senior year came, I started and that’s what happened.”

(On spending time in California when he was younger)
“So, I was a baby. I was in San Francisco, actually Walnut Creek. I was born there, but then six months – I don’t remember as a little kid, but six months passed and then I moved to Texas. So, this will be my first time actually since I was a little baby that I go back to the West Coast.”

(On if he has any experience in L.A.)
“No L.A. experience. First time in L.A.”

(On if he has any family still in Walnut Creek)
“No.”
  RB Jake Funk 
(On his feelings after being drafted)
“It’s a dream come true, I couldn't be happier right now.”

(On what he would tell now himself as he was recovering from injuries)
“Just to not give up. I mean, a lot of people counted me out, especially through the injuries. I would just go back and tell myself that it was all worth it in the end. All the tears, all the worry, all the doubt, it was all worth it in the end. I mean, you just continue to persevere through hardship and it's something that I've learned just about life in general, through the ACLs. But would just tell myself to just never give up.”

(On if he had any conversations with the Rams prior to becoming drafted)
“I was in contact with (Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs) Coach (Thomas) Brown for a good portion of it. Also, in contact with some scouts. But really, my role is to just come in and compete. I feel like I can come in and contribute a lot on special teams. Obviously, the competitor in me is just going to come in and compete for whatever running back position or role they give me. My job is to just come in and compete and give everything that I have for this organization who gave me a shot.”

(On if he gave up hope about being drafted as the days went on)
“I never gave up faith. I knew L.A. really liked me. I knew that they loved the special teams component that I bring. It's something that, I think, helped me get to the point where I'm at. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the special teams aspect of my game and that's something that L.A. just continued to preach, is that you're going to make our team through special teams.”

(On where he’s speaking from)
“I am speaking from my house right now, which is where in Maryland. Damascus, Maryland. I'm in my backyard actually.”

(On what the past two days have felt like watching the draft unfold)
“It was definitely crazy. You have a lot of teams that are interested in you throughout the whole entire way.    You constantly are like, you look through the draft and you're like, ‘All right, well this pick, I'm alive at this pick and then they ultimately pick some other position or another guy in your position.’ So, you're like, ’All right.’ Your mind is just continuously racing, right? It’s like a roller coaster it's up, down, up, down, where you could get picked and you don't get picked. Then, when you finally do get picked it's a real special moment with family, with friends. I'm very fortunate to have a great support network that I'm here celebrating with right after I get off the phone with you guys. So, now just very fortunate.”

(On who called him from the Rams to inform about his selection)
“(General Manager) Les Snead.”

(On what was said to him)
“He just said, ‘You’re going to be a Ram. We’re excited to have you.’ I immediately then told everybody and saw the pick. So yeah, so Les was the one who called me and very, very, very thankful and blessed to be able to be somebody that they value so high to pick.”

(On if he’s followed the Rams in the past and his initial impressions)
“Honestly, I haven't. I was never really a Rams fan growing up, so I never avidly watched them. They're a contender every single year and they added (Qcool smiley Matt Stafford this year and I'm just excited to just come in and just see what it's all about. The winning program, the winning culture, I'm excited to be able to just step into something and help this team win championships, because that's what I'm here to do in any way that I can.”

(On the mindset to approach a role on special teams)
“You just have to be excited to make a play. Like, football is about making game-changing plays no matter when you're on the field. If you can run down on a kickoff, pin somebody inside the 20 (yard line), create a big hit that gets the defense fired up and ready to go, it helps the team win. It's all about the team. So for me, that's just been my core, where it's like I'm going to do whatever it takes to help our team win. And if that's being a cover guy on special teams and going down there and getting a tackle or a big hit inside the 20, I'm going to do it. If that's a contributing role on offense, I'm going to do that. Whether that's first, second-down back, third-down back, doesn't matter. Whatever opportunities you get on the field, you have to be able to take advantage and be that ballplayer that goes out and just makes a play when the team needs it.”
  WR Ben Skowronek
(On what the last 48 hours has been like)
"It's been the craziest 48 hours of my life. You try to kind of get your mind off the draft. You have an idea where you're going. You have no idea where you're going to go. But it's been great. I was blessed to be surrounded by my family and my close friends. So, just having a support staff around me was great, but it was definitely a stressful 48 hours. I'm just happy I was finally picked."

(On if he had calls from other teams)
"Yeah, I had a handful of teams. A lot of zoom meetings, coaches, scouts, a lot of people calling, so I had no idea where I was going to go, but I knew a lot of teams were interested."

(On what types of questions they asked him)
"There's a lot of get to know you type questions. I transferred after my senior season for my fifth year. So, a lot of questions about the transfer. Then, just about my upbringing, my family, stuff like that. And then, we got into the football aspect of things and did some plays that type of stuff."

(On what he spoke to the Rams about)
"Yeah, actually the Rams and I, we really didn't have a lot of contact. I talked to them maybe once or twice, but that was it leading up to the draft. So, they were one of the teams that I didn't have a ton of contact with, but during those calls, just me being the type of guy, whatever I'm asked to do, to do it, come in, compete on special teams and compete for a spot on offense as well. So, that's what a lot of the talks with teams involved and with the Rams as well."

(On how he describes his game as a receiver)
"Tough, physical and reliable. I love to get in there blocking. That's my favorite thing to do on the football field is hitting people. Maybe I play the wrong position at receiver, but that's what I love to do. I think I have some of the best hands coming out in this year's draft. Strong hands, I catch everything and I'm also a high IQ player. I love the game of football. I study the game of football. I've been around the game of football growing up. So, I feel like I'm savvy in that way and just a high IQ type guy."

(On the Rams liking receivers that block)
"I just got off the phone with the receiver coach (Wide Receivers Coach Eric Yarber) and that's what we talked about a little bit. So, I can't wait, I can't wait to hit somebody. It's been a while."

(On his transfer from Northwestern to Notre Dame)
"Yeah, you know it was a tough decision obviously, leaving Northwestern after being a captain there but I got hurt the third game of my senior season and I was dead set on going to the NFL. I did redshirt on the front end of my career, so before that season I was dead set on going to the NFL. God had a different plan for me, I guess. I got hurt. Kind of took a step back from everything. I was involved helping the younger guys out, but it was the first time I took a step back and the coaches at Northwestern convinced me not to go to the NFL, to come back to college for another year and I talked with my family, I talked to the Northwestern staff and I just took a leap of faith. I really wanted just new scenery and a fresh start somewhere and just kind of prove myself all over again. I love to compete and when I went to Notre Dame, there was no promises. So, when I went there, it was so much fun to compete for a spot, meet new teammates and learn a new offense and all that. But it was definitely a tough situation. There's no bad blood between Northwestern and I, I love all the guys there. (Northwestern Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald) Coach Fitz actually just text me after I got drafted, so those guys are family to me, but I felt like I had to do what was best for me."

(On DL Earnest Brown IV)
"Yeah, (DL) Earnest (Brown IV) is a great kid. He has a strong personality. He was always dancing on the field, in the locker room, he's obviously part of the guys in the locker room, but on the field, he's a beast. I think that his best football is yet to come. He's still kind of growing into his body a little bit. He's just a natural freak athletically. So, I believe he's going to be a great NFL player. He's strong, he's powerful and he loves the game of football. He's going to work hard and he's also just a great teammate, so I'm excited to be reunited with him and see him again. It's been a while."

(On earning a spot on the team)
"Yeah. I'm not sure what my role is going to be with the Rams, but I'm going to come in and compete and do whatever (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay asks me to do. Obviously, I don't even know if I describe myself as a receiver. I did a lot of things at Notre Dame where I inserted and was blocking linebackers. I'll play anything. At Northwestern, my senior year I had played some tight end in some packages, so anything the coaches ask me to do, I'm going to do it to the best of my ability and I just want to win football games. So, I'm excited to be on the Rams and I can't wait to get started." 
  OLB Chris Garrett
(On how he’s feeling)
“The emotions are just going crazy right now just to have this dream come true and for it to be the Rams and what their defense and what they’re known for. I'm just excited.”

(On his journey to Concordia-St. Paul)
“Right away when I got there, I was just small, and I had a hunger to get better and it really showed through just my relentlessness on film and just trying to get after the quarterback and getting the ball out. So just every step of the way I knew I had a goal in mind, and this was it – to get drafted and to play in the league for a very long time. So, a lot more to do, but I'm here.”

(On what the coaches saw in him)
“Just the passion that I have in my life. Who I am as a person, I'm just passionate (inaudible). That's all I know is to just give 100 percent. So that is really what they saw, just a kid who was willing to give everything to reach his goals.”

(On what the Rams asked him during the draft process)
“Most of it was just like how do I see myself and obviously what the teams see me as. It wasn't many questions, but they just wanted to get to know me, see what I'm all about, and obviously they think I'm a good guy the fact that they drafted me (laughs).”

(On getting noticed by NFL scouts despite playing at a small school)
“Playing at a small school and getting noticed, you have to stand out a lot. You have to make plays, you have to do all the extra stuff too so when they see your film, they know you're different than everybody else you’re on the field with. I think I did that just with how relentless I played. Every other play I'm trying to get the ball out and just in my pursuit of the quarterback, for an example, I don't think it was matched. I don't think it was matched just how relentless I’ve played.”

(On how he ended up going to Concordia-St. Paul)
“I just was overlooked coming out. I had a lot of walk on opportunities, but coming from a poor family, I really couldn't afford to go to Wisconsin. So, I just had to take the most money offered to me and that was a Division II school, Concordia-St. Paul.”

(On his impressions of the Rams defense)
“Big impressions – (DL) Aaron Donald, you have to start there. You see that man right in the middle and you're going to get a couple of free sacks just because of that. So, to say I'm excited, that would be an understatement. Just knowing what I know about this defense and how firey they play, I think it definitely matches me more than any other team, for sure.”

(On his versatility as an OLcool smiley
“I wouldn't want to cap myself to just being a pass rusher, but obviously that's what got their attention and they told me that's what they're going to try to use me as. They're going to put me in different positions to make plays and to kind of see where I'm at. You know, coming from a small school, you can't really see much but my pass rush ability and I have a lot more in my arsenal.”

--RAMS--

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

5/1... Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - fixed

Shaky599May 01, 2021 04:45PM

Re: 5/1... Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -

Shaky313May 01, 2021 04:45PM

Snead/McVay Day 3 Press Conference-video

RamBill171May 01, 2021 09:00PM