Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thoughts on our slot need

April 30, 2021 08:03AM
It occurred to me that the Rams immediately prioritized run support in the slot after they hired Staley.

First they targeted and drafted Burgess in large part for his ability to play in the slot and even specifically mentioned that post-draft. He was also a fit over the top, but that slot element was more of a priority for them than I realized at that time.

Why do I say that? Because they pulled Jalen Ramsey into the slot in large part to supplement the run game in 2020. It was also partially for matchups as well but that run element was definitely a priority to them.

So as it pertains to our slot need I am going to assume the run stopping ability is still a priority. Which means they do (as expected) probably love Molden. But Burgess did get his feet wet last season and was coming on a bit down the stretch. Also even if he does win that slot job we have a second year stud at one safety spot and a second rounder picked the previous year who has played well for us when healthy at the other. And last but not least we have Scott who played surprisingly well and seemed to be pushing for a role last year as well.

Sort of a stream of consciousness here. But there is a reasonable chance they want Burgess in that role. That they trust him to perform in that role next season. So it's going to be really interesting tonight to see if they pass on the corner options that should be there.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Thoughts on our slot need

merlin217April 30, 2021 08:03AM

Re: Thoughts on our slot need

Rams4389April 30, 2021 09:12AM