Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good takes

April 26, 2021 07:23PM
Deadpool
I thought I would put together a post where I just kind of ramble about all things draft related, Rams related or prospect related or just general thoughts. it might end up being all over the place as I think of it, but I'll try and keep it coherent.

1.Medical risk draft prospects - I will copy/paste what I said in another thread:

I know a lot of fans think the teams have more info on medicals than the average fan, and they are partially right. They do, but not near the info they would normally have.

The had no physicals at the combine or combine medical rechecks because there was no combine.

And teams had no physicals done or medical checks done by their own doctors at their private visits at team headquarters because there where no private visits. NONE.

So, yeah, I don't think teams are nearly as comfortable with their med evals as in years past and some of these guys, esp. the smaller school guys or opt out guys are going to slip.

That said, it will be interesting to see where these guys land:
Caleb Farley - back surgery
Dylan Moses - knee pain a year after ACL
Walker Little - ACL followed by opt out
Jaelen Phillips - multiple concussions
Justin Fields - Epilepsy
Greg Newsome - multiple injuries
Landon Dickerson - Ankles and Knee
Rondale Moore - multiple injuries
Just off the top of my head

I think Dickerson and Moses are in the most trouble. it only takes 1 team, but I could see Moses day 3 and Dickerson well into day 2. I think Fields is fine, Farley is falling IMO, some had him as the #1 CB, he is no longer in the top 2.

2. Opt outs

These are the real wild cards in the draft. Some teams have publicly said they won't draft them, some have zero issues. Some are judging them on an individual basis according to NFL Radio.

The 2 Stanford guys were both borderline 1st rounders before opting out. They are no longer 1st rounders, and I doubt 2nd rounders. Tryon could have played his way into the middle of the 1st round, now is he a late 1st or mid 2nd? Twyman was on his way to top 50 before he opted out, I bet he lasts into the 3rd at the very least. Sewell is not being punished at all it seems, too much talent. Collins probably didn't hurt himself. Parsons probably didn't do any damage to himself. Chase is not getting dinged either.

Like I said, wild cards.

3. Draft picks

This might be the year to easily gain picks for the 2021 draft by giving up 2022 picks, simply because FOs are just uncomfortable with the lack of knowledge on medicals, background checks and college games played. New age teams like the Rams could clean up in a draft like this.

4. Class strength or weakness:

IOL - weak at the top end for OCs, good in the middle to end. OGs - Steady throughout the top 5 rounds, weak at the tail.
OTs - Solid depth throughout, good depth for any system. Really strong in the top 50
TEs - This is a 1 TE draft, generational type in Pitts, then 2 pretty decent TEs and then its cooks choice. Very weak after the top 3. Value can be found though.
WRs - Talent top to bottom, lots of #1 WR types early, lots of slot options scattered through out the draft. Possession types as well. Deep
RBs - 3 good RBs and then its a bunch of specialized guys or committee backs or backup RBs. Not that impressed.
QBs - Its really 5 guys at the top, 1 in the 2nd and then not much. Some like Mills, I don't.

DL - Weak at the top, decent in the middle rounds to the end. Best value at DL is round 3 or 4 to round 7. Lots of variety though.
Edge - No real super stars like a Bosa, or Young or Chubb, but plenty of decent day 2 and day 3 guys. I think the value on them is rounds 3 to 5.
LB - decent depth top to bottom, depending on what you are looking for. I like a lot of day 2 and day 3 guys.
CB - Deep again. Not sure there is a superstar in this group, but the top is nice, the middle is great and good development late. Someone for everyone
S - again, no real crazy good talent, but plenty of good, good football players. And I think value starts in round 2 TBH

5. Random Thoughts on day 1:
a - I don't think a OC goes in round 1
b - I think 1 RB goes round 1
c - I think only 1 S goes round 1
d - Biggest dropper on day 1 - Caleb Farley, everything I hear on the radio is that teams are scared of that back surgery.
e - biggest surprise of the day - Najee Harris is the first RB taken

Random thoughts on day 2:
a - I think you will see a bunch of OTs, CBs and WRs taken early
b. - this is where we will find out about what teams feels about medicals and opt outs
c. - I think there will be a ton of moving to get a specific player in a draft with less info

Random Thoughts on day 3:
a - This is going to be a total crap shoot. Lack of knowledge will make it seem like teams are reaching. Truth is there are no reachs this year
b - again, I think lots of teams trade their 2021 day 3 picks for 2022 picks. That will not be the Rams.
c. - I personally think if you are willing to take chances and have done your homework, there will be a ton of value in day 3.
d. UDFA is going to be like throwing chicken parts into an alligator pool.

6. Rams draft thoughts:

1. Positions:
a - they won't draft a QB. they are 3 deep now
b - they won't draft a RB unless its super late.
c - they won't draft a OG. Im not sure they ever will. They convert OTs to OGs
d - If they draft a S, it'll be early and one that is versatile enough to handle the slot.
e - they won't draft a TE. I think thats the Hopkins pick from last year.
f - DL is going to get drafted somewhere. I think a guy that can play inside/outside. No NT types.
g - CB will get drafted unless they decide to go with that combo safety I was talking about in d.
h. - I think a WR gets drafted, but he will have deep speed and return skills. Not in the top 2 picks
i - Edge will see a pick somewhere, but I have zero feel on where
j - ILB - also gets some love, but honestly, it could be 57, it could be 253
k - OT goes in the top 3 picks.
l - I think they do draft a OC. But its early or late

So I am thinking OT, CB, Edge, ILB, S/CB, OC, DL and WR - Thats 8 spots so obviously I think the Rams accumulate more picks somehow.

7. Rams prospects (or not Rams prospects) I am curious about:

Asante Samuel - I think the Rams are really interested and he would be a perfect fit, but I don't think he lasts.

Elijah Molden - I think the Rams like him, are hiding that fact and pray he lasts until 57. Is he an outside/ inside CB? No, but he is a slot/safety combo with all the intangibles the Rams love in a prospect.

Quinn Meinerz - According the to the director of the Senior Bowl on the radio a few days ago, he isn't getting out of the 2nd round. So if the Rams want him, he their first pick.

Creed Humphrey - I'd be absolutely shocked to see him last until 57. He could go in the first.

Jabril Cox - another team captain, highly athletic, long LBer that checks all of the Rams boxes. He makes a ton of sense in round 2 as well.

Dylan Moses - He is slipping, I think all the way into day 3. He'd be hard to pass on in round 4, but that knee is a concern.

Walker Little and Paulson Adebo - obvious Stanford connection, 2 years ago, both were viewed as potential 1 round picks. I think 3rd round is perfect for both of them. Both are perfect fits and both would be tremendous value in the 3rd giving the Rams 1st round potential.

Payton Turner, Rashad Weaver, Milton Williams, Osa Odighizuwa, Chauncey Golston, Jaylen Twyman, Darius Stills - I think the DL pick comes from this group. Twyman is my favorite, but it would take a late 3rd to early 4th rounder. Stills is my 2nd favorite and can be had in round 6 at the earliest.

Joe Tryon/Joseph Ossai, Quincy Roche, Hamilcar Rashed, Jon Cooper, Elerson Smith, Shaka Toney, Ronnie Perkins - I think the Edge comes from this group. Tryon is a favorite of mine, as is Ossai, Rashed and Cooper. Smith would also be just fine. Roche is OK, Toney is a developmental guy and Perkins is too much like Obo. Better but too similar.

Creed Humphrey, Josh Meyers, Quinn Meinerz, Trey Hill, Drew Dalman, Michal Menet, Jimmy Morrissey, Drake Jackson - there are your OCs that fit. Favorites are Humphrey and Meinerz. Best value is day 3 on Hill.

Dillon Radunz, Sam Cosmi, Walker Little, James Hudson, Brady Christiansen, Stone Forsythe, Spencer Brown, D'Ante Smith, Adrian Ealy - there are your OT fits. Walker makes too much sense as a fit and value. Cosmi is most likely gone. Same with Radunz. Honestly, I think it comes down to Little/Hudson/Forsythe and Brown. I like them in that order.

Amari Rodgers, D'Wayne Eskridge, Demetric Felton, Dyami Brown, Elijah Moore, Anthony Schwartz, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Simi Fehoko, Josh Imatorbhebhe, Jonathan Adams Jr., Jaelon Darden - there are your WRs that fit one way or another. I left off Nico Collins and although I love him and he makes alot of sense, you need to grab him at 57 and I just don't think the Rams will take a WR first. Brown in the 3rd, Smith-Marsette in the 4th, Schwartz in the 4th or 5th make sense to me. If Darden lasts until round 6, that is a no brainer pick.

CB - Too many to name, I will name my favorite fits - Samuel - 2nd, Molden - 2nd, Robinson - 2nd, Adebo - 3rd, Joseph -3rd/4th, M. Wilson - day 3, Wade - day 3, Vincent - day 3.

S - Again, so many fits I will name some favorites - Johnson - 2nd (most like JJ3) Richie Grant - 2nd, Sterns - 4th, Stevens - day 3, S. Davis - day 3, Ford - day 3

ILB - This is still my biggest mystery. I obviously value LBers and OCs more than the Rams, in fact, I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Rams skip ILB all together. That said, here is your list: Cox - 2nd, Bolton - 2nd, McGrone - 3rd, Werner - 3rd, Surratt - 4th, Moses - 4th, Wallow - day 3, Barnes - day 3, Jones - day 3, Niemann - day 3, Britt - day 3

8. Rams Draft Options by Round:

Round 2 - I feel this is really OT or CB. If they feel their LT of the future is there, they might take him. I heard just today, Walker Little in the 2nd round isn't a crazy pick for anyone. That said, if Asante Samuel Jr. is there he is the pick. He won't be IMO. I think Molden is their backup plan. If both CBs and the OTs are gone, look for a trade back, look for Meinerz and look for Cox. it seems like a lot of options, but really, its 2 to 3 OTs, 2 CBs, a OC and a LBer. 6 or 7 guys. This is assuming guys like Ossai, Tryon and Humphrey are gone.

Round 3 - The reason I think they want to go CB in the 2nd is because Walker Little at 88 is their plan for their LT. He might or might not last that long. IF they do go LT in the 2nd, I can certainly see a CB like Adebo or Joseph being in play if they are available. I also think Edge, WR and IDL start to come into play. Brown, Smith-Marsette and Amari Rogers come into play. I think Eskridge is gone. Edge guys like Roche and Rashed are the 2 that makes sense. IDL Twyman makes some sense here. Lastly, ILB - I doubt they take a LBer with their first 3 picks because the Rams FO actively hates seeing me happy. But McGrone is a HR pick, so is Werner.

Round 4 is a bit of a mess because as it stands this is the last pick in the top 200, so they need to hit this one. Im thinking OT, CB and WR or Edge are the first 3 picks, so the position that makes the most sense to me is probably WR if they bypass one in the first 3 picks. There are some really good DL prospects here as well.

Round 5 - I want a pick, because I want Garrett Wallow. Badly if they haven't gotten an ILB. Either way the Rams need more picks, so this is a good round to have one.

Rounds 6 and 7 - I am squarely set on a DL in round 6 or 7, ILB could happen in round 6 or 7. As could a WR if they let that position slide. I have a fascination with a FB and the new OL coach that used a FB in his blocking schemes. One of hte best I have seen in years is there in the 7th, he'd be really tempting.

UDFA - this is gonna be crazy I think. Mason Stokke is the other FB I like. He should be an UDFA. He'd work for me. I think the Rams add a RB as well. Spencer Brown is a good Malcolm Brown replacement. Jamien Sherwood from Auburn is a S prospect that would be a nice signing. I have no idea where Kenny Randall ends up draft wise, too many questions, but if he goes undrafted, sign me up. Get a TE. Or 3. Luke Farrell is at the top of my list. Get an Edge rusher, Wyatt Hubert from kansas State is a lot of fun to watch. Nice stats and a horrible pro day. I still love him.

Anyhow, just thinking out loud for a minute or 2.

Appreciate the thoroughness of the summary too.

I'm of the mind that DL is so terrible that they will convert an edge if one of the rangy/stronger ones falls to them in the right spot. So IMO the hybrid types (Tryon, Weaver, etc) are in play potentially. Also the DL group is so bad that it might affect other things. Teams still need DL. They're gonna take it and may do it a little early due to supply/demand. So if the Rams see a hybrid type and they like his game he's in play in rounds 2 or 3 IMO. I didn't watch film of the entire group but I watched a lot of them and I really don't like any of them outside of the bigger and more physical edge types who might play 5T.

This is a great draft to just hit the OL. No idea what they're thinking but this class is the opposite of the DL so I have to think the Rams come out with a couple offensive linemen. Certainly one. Also saying they won't take OG is fine and all but there are some guys who blur the lines like Green who is a scheme fit as well as Meinerz who is basically an OG for now until he has a lot of work under his belt in a pro camp/regimen. So personally I'm not ruling that out though I do think you're on the right track with the idea if that makes sense. The LT who can play OG for us year one thing is very possible and it fits what they like to do so yeah makes perfect sense.

I agree they like Molden. He's scrappy and fits our secondary very well. But there's so many corners in this draft. So I feel like it's in play but only for certain guys as has been discussed (I feel the inside/out types are in play more than the slot types). Molden I would not rule out but it doesn't wash for me logically is all. But maybe the Rams love him that much.

I think they are picky with centers. They may want to convert the right guy over too. And as I have mentioned a great deal I think QB changes the equation on what they are looking for (Stafford enables room for error on calls). Meinerz is in play because of that and maybe Green too. If Goff was our QB Meinerz would not be in play.

Lastly I suspect they might be thinking conversion at TE too. Fehoko for example, the guys like him who they can run on crossers and wheels and get him the ball underneath but also stretch it here and there. IMO what they want is a guy who can challenge the WRs for playing time. Hopkins didn't sniff the field last year so I don't think he's in a good spot in their minds right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 07:26PM by merlin.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

NFL Draft General and Rams specific thoughts with a few days to go

Deadpool801April 26, 2021 05:43PM

Good takes

merlin203April 26, 2021 07:23PM

This might be post of the year...

Rams43183April 26, 2021 09:28PM

Thank you, again!

BlueRidgeHorns284April 27, 2021 01:54AM

I actually printed out your big board; I might this one too

RockRam141April 27, 2021 02:00AM

Always excellent, Dead!!