Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: depth chart

April 23, 2021 07:55AM
oldschoolramfan
I get it merlin,

Go look at the Rams Roster and depth chart.

I wonder, what do you think of....

Christian Rozeboom....6'2" 230.
Justin Hollins...6'5" 248.
Travin Howard...6'1" 219
Micah Kiser...6'0" 244.
Derrick Moncrief...6'2" 220
Troy Reeder...6'3" 245
Kenny Young...6'1" 234

There's kind of a log jam at ILB on the roster....

I think Reeder is a marginal starter as a SILB type. He is our best SILB and better than Kiser because he has some size to him and can at least stuff things up. The guy has reasonable strength at the point when he takes on blockers but his short area quicks tend to remove him from plays if anyone gets in his way.

Hollins has been a nice edge rotation piece. I don't think he factors in for us at ILB. But he does have surprising athleticism, unless I'm mixing him up here I can recall him running with some surprising athletes on wheel routes last season. I don't always trust my memory though, but I'm pretty sure it was him. If the Rams draft edge and move him to ILB I would be very intrigued but we don't know if he's got those instincts to quickly take the right path to the ball.

Kiser is a strong side type in a small body. He has slightly better change of direction than Reeder but in range I think they're quite similar. Reeder beat him out last year and rightly so. But you can't play Kiser and Reeder both on passing downs, far better to replace one of them with a safety.

The Rams love Howard but he's a weak side safety type. He's also probably too small to stand up to too much work vs the run. Either way I don't see that guy replacing Reeder. His competition is the safety who comes on in pass play packages and from that perspective I prefer most of our safeties to him because they cover better.

Young's an up and down guy which is to say he's never going to give you snap to snap consistency. He's a marginal starter at best. Also he's a weak side type like Howard and they probably favor Howard over him. I think he had his shot last year and they know he's a JAG and will move on to either Howard or a rook.

Looking at the draft you gotta sort the roles. Jamin Davis would never leave the field and can do both roles. Cox and Surratt (both are 4-3 WILL types IMO) would stay on the field on 3rd down over all our current ILBs but would be hit/miss on earlier downs vs a heavy run front like say SF where they'd probably use Reeder strong side with them on early downs. Werner would be a Reeder replacement but I think Reeder is probably better than him just vs the run. Lot of projection stuff here and I'm sure many differ on them but from what I've seen that's my best take.

Bolton seems to me to be a likely target if they go ILB. He'd upgrade us over Reeder immediately and add range. He is very physical. Guy's built like a rock and will probably be on the board for us as opposed to Jamin Davis who is just too good a prospect to make it to 57 IMO. BUT if they want to upgrade next to Reeder then they'll go with Cox or Surratt.

EDIT: gonna add that I am really intrigued by McGrone. Because that defense had him blitzing on what seemed like every play. And as a result we don't know what the guy can do in zone, he's a big projection. He might be that guy from this draft that gets overlooked a bit due to this. The guy is very aggressive, has plenty of physicality to him he won't shy from contact. And we know he can blitz.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2021 08:06AM by merlin.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

NFL Mock Draft Simulator: Who are the Rams most likely to draft?

Rams43724April 15, 2021 11:43AM

Re: Thanks 43...This stuff is what makes sense.

oldschoolramfan262April 15, 2021 01:31PM

Rams43273April 15, 2021 01:55PM

oldschoolramfan278April 15, 2021 02:22PM

Re: NFL Mock Draft Simulator: Who are the Rams most likely to draft?

oldschoolramfan284April 22, 2021 10:57AM

Rams43179April 22, 2021 11:45AM

oldschoolramfan191April 22, 2021 01:49PM

Serious question: do these simulations ever prove to be even marginally right?

RockRam157April 22, 2021 11:23AM

Surratt & Cox

merlin258April 22, 2021 12:38PM

Re: Sounds like Littleton...

dzrams190April 22, 2021 01:36PM

merlin289April 22, 2021 01:47PM

oldschoolramfan138April 22, 2021 02:00PM

Re: depth chart

merlin202April 23, 2021 07:55AM