Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IMO it has to be the right guy

April 02, 2021 08:29AM
RockRam
I look at these mock drafts, and I swear they just have a list of 1 - 250 and who ever pops up whenever it's a team's turn they just insert the next guy on their list.

The Rams haven't prioritized MLB since James Laurenitis that can tell. And since Snead, they seem content to man it with late picks that were developmental players.

Perhaps it's the belief that 3-4 ILBs are different guys..... kind of oversized safeties now.... or that it has become one of the lesser important positions on a D.

But I think it would be a reverse of policy and direction if suddenly the Rams used a higher pick on an ILB. For one thing, unless the guy is an absolute freak, you're going to have to get big or you're going to have to get mobile and fast. Rams seem to want mobile and fast. Not only that but in today's game, you want pass rushers and pass defenders..... OLBs, DL, and Secondary. ILB's? Not so much.

Way I see it Rock is that this is about winning the division first. Getting better at QB was a decision made after we lost to SF with a backup at QB. But we also lose in the trenches to the 9ers and that has to be rectified. There is no way McVay is not aware of that issue so there's a good chance they address that.

So one big key of course is how they stack the OL. And the other is our front seven.

At ILB I think it has to be the right guy. Otherwise you take someone midrounds or use UDFA competition to try to unearth gems. What is the right guy? Well none of us know for sure but I think it's finding a plus run stuffer who has the upside in this scheme to be a 3 down player.

Also just my take here but Bolton should slide. Because he's just not as physically gifted or as capable as some of these other guys. But if any of Bolton, Collins, or Davis are there they have a chance to be the pick IMO. I don't mention Cox because he is a 6'4" safety to my eye, he is weak vs the run. Maybe I'm way off base here but he is not what we need, although if they were to take him it's not like I'd think it's a mistake or anything. I simply don't think he has the aggressiveness you need off ball in this defense. Those other three are probably off the board though, because as usual those really good ILBs are hard to find. I am certain that Collins is gone. Davis is probably a "likely" in being off the board. Bolton though... Probably not but boy would he help us. IMO.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams select QB-turned-LB Chazz Suratt in McShay’s new mock...

Rams43595April 01, 2021 07:19AM

Re: Rams select QB-turned-LB Chazz Suratt in McShay’s new mock...

alyoshamucci249April 01, 2021 07:48AM

Suratt's pro day #s

LMU93208April 01, 2021 09:31AM

Maybe I'm living on Mars, but I just don't see the Rams prioritizing ILB

RockRam207April 01, 2021 07:50AM

I agree....I think it'll be CB or OT...if we stay put at #57

SunTzu_vs_Camus176April 02, 2021 06:09AM

IMO it has to be the right guy

merlin180April 02, 2021 08:29AM

Re: Nah...your feet are firmly planted on earth...

dzrams101April 02, 2021 08:40AM

If only he balled like he plays chess nm

merlin94April 01, 2021 06:30PM