Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WR D’Wayne Eskridge could fill Rams’ need for speed, says he’ll run a 4.2...

March 03, 2021 05:37PM
WR D'Wayne Eskridge could fill Rams' need for speed, says he'll run a 4.2

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Wide receiver isn’t at the top of the Rams’ shopping list this offseason, but it sure is somewhere on their list of needs. With Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods and Van Jefferson projected to be the top three pass catchers, the Rams not only need depth, but also speed.

Woods, Kupp and Jefferson are similar receivers who mostly win on short and intermediate routes, with the occasional deep pattern. There’s a clear void of speed in the receiving corps, one the Rams must fill after trading away Brandin Cooks last offseason.

D’Wayne Eskridge of Western Michigan is one of the fastest-rising prospects in the 2021 NFL draft class and he might just be the perfect solution for the Rams’ need for speed. Having already met with Eskridge virtually, Los Angeles’ front office has an eye on the dynamic playmaker.

After his pro day, there will probably be even more watching Eskridge in the lead up to the draft. Eskridge told USA TODAY that he plans to run a 4.2 in the 40-yard dash at his workout.

“Yeah, I’m gonna run a 4.2. Most definitely,” he said.

Needless to say, that would be an eye-opening time for the speedy receiver. He shouldn’t be considered the next Tyreek Hill just yet, because Hill is a well-rounded wideout who can win in multiple ways, but the speed is certainly there with Eskridge.

And when it comes to studying receivers, Eskridge tries to model his game around Hill.

“I feel like in a sense, I kind of model myself around some of the things that he does really well,” he said. “I try to implement it to my game. But I still feel like we’re two different players. He plays in a different style than I do, but I definitely get a lot of pros from him.”

Eskridge was a touchdown waiting to happen in college. He scored eight times on just 33 receptions last season, racking up 768 yards receiving. He also returned a kickoff for a touchdown, averaging 27.5 yards per return. In five seasons at Western Michigan, he averaged 18.5 yards per catch and scored 15 touchdowns.

As for where the Rams could draft Eskridge, that remains somewhat of a mystery. Some project him going as high as the first round, while others could see him falling to the middle rounds. The Rams don’t have a first-round pick anyway and will make their first selection at No. 57.

Could Eskridge be a target in the second round? Depending on how the board falls, it’s certainly possible. McVay and Les Snead both said recently that they want the offense to be more explosive next season.

“It’s guys that can make things happen with the ball in their hands,” McVay said. “I know we talked a lot about it throughout the season of plays down the field. I think there’s different ways of creating explosives, but it’s a collaboration of certainly I’ve got to do a good job of giving us opportunities and then the players are the ones that end up making it come to life, so that’s always going to be a big part of it.”

Eskridge certainly fits the bill of a guy who can make things happen with the ball in his hands, showing that often in college. He’s someone to watch as the draft approaches.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

WR D’Wayne Eskridge could fill Rams’ need for speed, says he’ll run a 4.2...

Rams43505March 03, 2021 05:37PM

Gonna have to pick him at 57 if he does

Ram_Ruler210March 03, 2021 06:31PM

Re: Gonna have to pick him at 57 if he does

SoCalRAMatic235March 03, 2021 08:20PM

Come again?

Ram_Ruler220March 04, 2021 12:58AM

Re: Come again?

nicecatchellard171March 04, 2021 04:10AM

Yeah i dunno that I would take him at 57

Ram_Ruler150March 04, 2021 05:15AM

Re: Gonna have to pick him at 57 if he does