Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking at Watson from a big picture view, both sides

January 29, 2021 11:01AM
Its easy to say Watson is better than Goff, it would be a no brainer move. But why beyond that does a trade for Watson make sense? For Watson and the Rams.

If I'm the FO (and you are all glad I am not) here's what I know:

1. The Rams finished in the top 4 in the NFC this year.

2. They have the best defensive player in the league and maybe the best DT of all time. In his prime.

3. They also have the top DB in the league. In his prime.

4. By many metrics, they had the top defense in the league this season.

5. They have 2 very good (not great) WRs and a rookie RB that has the makings of a franchise back.

6. They have a very good LT for maybe 1 more season. I doubt 2. And at what level if more than 1?

7. They know what they have currently in Goff. They also know what they had in Goff 2 years ago. Those 2 are not the same and (again if I'm McVay and Snead) I have a pretty good idea why.

8. They also know what Watson is, and what he has done with a lot less in Houston.

9. They know Brees is retiring or really, really close to retiring. They know Brady cannot play forever (maybe he is immortal) and Rodgers is 37 going on 38.

10. They also know they can go toe to toe with the Seahawks with Goff.

11. So its safe to assume they know the NFC is ripe for the picking. Right now and into the next few years.

So knowing all this, if Im McSnead, and I feel Watson moves the needle enough to push them over the top whether its next year or 2022 or 2023, I'd strike while the window for AD, Whit, Woods, Kupp, Ramsey and Akers (RBs have short shelf lives) is still open. So yeah, trade your 2022 and 2023 for Watson. If they are willing to move 2 firsts for Ramsey, it wouldn't even be a thought to do that for a top 5 franchise QB that is 25.

Why would Watson want to come to LA?

Now here its less facts and more me just thinking outloud:

1. He does not like how mcNair is running things in Houston.

2. He knows for a fact the Rams run one of the more diverse FOs in the league.

3. He knows (apparently, because they share an agent) Ramsey loves it with the Rams and is actively recruiting him.

4. its LA. LA is showtime. You are a baller in LA and your star is shining brightly. It opens up all sorts of windows and avenues to branch out. Look at Gurley.

5. You walk into an immediate winner. No rebuild, no questions about young (not age but experience) head coaches.

To me (and its my opinion only) if McSnead thinks the window is now and Watson wants a forward thinking FO and a winner on the field, this is a marriage made in heaven. Unless you are the rest of the NFC.

Now does Watson guarantee a SB? Of course not. But it sure seems like they would be one massive step forward. IMO

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Looking at Watson from a big picture view, both sides

Deadpool500January 29, 2021 11:01AM

Re: Looking at Watson from a big picture view, both sides

alyoshamucci273January 29, 2021 11:07AM

oldschoolramfan186January 29, 2021 12:19PM

I'm not a voice of reason

Deadpool149January 29, 2021 01:04PM

Ramboni221January 29, 2021 12:24PM

Great post!