Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Report: McVay/Goff relationship needs ‘marriage counseling’...

January 18, 2021 04:27PM
Report: Sean McVay and Jared Goff's relationship needs 'marriage counseling'

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

As interesting and unpredictable as the Rams’ 2020 season was, the upcoming offseason could bring about even more surprises and questions. We’re not even two full days removed from the team’s season-ending loss to the Packers and there are already major questions about Jared Goff’s future with the franchise that gave him $134 million less than two years ago.

Things took a hard turn in the final month of the season when Sean McVay started John Wolford over Goff in the wild-card round. And then on Sunday, McVay wouldn’t commit to Goff being the starter in 2021 – or even on the roster, for that matter.

And now a report from Steve Wyche of NFL Network has added fuel to the fire. According to Wyche, the relationship between Goff and McVay isn’t great and one person he spoke to said “they need marriage counseling.”

“We know John Wolford came in and they were excited about him when Jared Goff got hurt and the way he performed, and then he got hurt,” Wyche said. “So I think a lot of people are wondering if they’re going to bring in a veteran type of quarterback to push Jared Goff this offseason. Or at least have that threat there as a backup to see if they can elevate Goff.

“The people I’ve spoken to said basically, at this moment, the relationship with Goff and McVay: not great. They need marriage counseling is what one person said to me. I think this is something that they’re going to be able to work through, but there’s got to be some healing and that’s not just with Jared Goff’s injured thumb.”

Mike Silver of NFL Network reported last week that Goff wasn’t happy about Wolford getting the start over him against the Seahawks, and the quarterback himself told Silver it was one of the toughest things he’s had to go through.

McVay could’ve avoided all of this speculation by simply committing to Goff on Saturday and Sunday following the Rams’ loss, but it’s abundantly clear that he isn’t sold on Goff being handed the starting job like he was in each of the last four seasons.

The Rams can’t outright cut Goff without eating more than $65 million in dead money, but a trade is feasible if they can find a trade partner – ideally, one willing to take on some of Goff’s guaranteed money. That will be difficult, and it seems we’re only getting started on the rampant speculation about who will be under center in Week 1.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Report: McVay/Goff relationship needs ‘marriage counseling’...

Rams43121January 18, 2021 04:27PM