Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - January 12, 2021 Head Coach Sean McVay and Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley

January 13, 2021 01:27AM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
January 12, 2021
Head Coach Sean McVay and Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley

Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“We just had a walk-thru today. So, these did not participate things, kind of take it with a grain of salt. (Qcool smiley John Wolford, (OL) David Edwards, (DL) Aaron Donald, (WR) Cooper Kupp and (OLcool smiley Terrell Lewis were the guys that did not participate. No updates on anything as far as some of the plans for what we're going to do for the game.”

(On the Packers rush defense)
“They played really well as of late. They do a great job. They have a really physical front. I think they're doing an excellent job, really on all three levels. They play hard. They mix up some of their personnel groupings. You look at the way they've played against some really good offenses later on in the year - Chicago was really rolling, they really stopped them in their last game. Tennessee was one of the better offenses in the league and they did an excellent job really slowing them down, at their place, in a big Sunday night win. So, it's going to be a great challenge for us. They’re the No. 1 seed and won 13 games for a reason. I think that's a reflection of a great team.”

(On clarifying that he doesn’t have an update on starting quarterback)
“That's exactly right.”

(On if DL Aaron Donald will be ready to go Saturday)
“He's feeling really good. We’re just going to really rest him the whole week and be as smart as possible. I mean he was just in there getting a workout in the weight room and he looked like he's feeling pretty good to me. So, unless something unforeseen happens, the Terminator will be ready.”

(On if Donald will need any protective gear for Saturdays game)
“I think that's probably a better question for (Vice President, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and Aaron. I think we'll just take it a day at a time and really just see how he's feeling, but I know he's going to be ready to go. You guys know what an elite competitor he is and how important these games are. For a guy that's accomplished so many individual accolades, he's all about the team, and all about accomplishing those team goals and continuing to try to advance against a great opponent, in what we know is going to be a very, very difficult challenge.”

(On his recollection of offensive meetings with Packers Head Coach Matt LaFleur)
“I would say this, (Packers Head Coach) Matt (LaFleur) is one of my closest friends in life. I think us getting a chance to work here together my first year, where really, I think sometimes you end up being harder or having that comfort level with one another and with the people that you're closest with. And so, I think as we were both getting comfortable in the roles and trying to do a great job as we got here, I always appreciated his ability to say, ‘I don't care what you are.’ He always has the right approach as far as being honest. It wasn't one of those tell you what you want to hear. He told me what I needed to hear, and it was good, even though sometimes we wanted to choke each other out. But I love him. He's like my big brother and we've been close for a long time. I can remember even just going back to when we started working in Washington. He and his wife lived right across the street right when they had their first son, Luke. That was before I had met my fiancé and so I'd come third wheel it with them a lot. They kind of took me under their wing. So, they're very close friends of ours. Hey, this is about the Rams versus the Packers, but it's a blessing to be able to be in these positions.”

(On who won the battles between himself and LaFleur)
“I think it was a good balance. I'm not afraid to listen or admit when I'm wrong. So, there was sometimes when I'd say, ‘I can't promise it won't happen again, but I can always promise to apologize.’ So, it was a good back and forth balance with us.”

(On what he needs to see from Wolford and his recovery)
“I think the first thing is relying on the doctors to get their feedback. Is this even a possibility? Then we'll take it from there.”

(On if he’s optimistic that Wolford will play on Saturday)
“I would say I'm in a wait and see mindset from the experts.”

(On if he prefers to have the best offense or best defense and does the theory “defense wins championships” still hold true in the league today)
“I think it's about who plays the best in that three-and-a-half-hour window. It's going to be a five-star matchup between a great defense and a great offense, but really, it is about our teams. I would say I'll take the defense, because that's the team that I'm on and I feel very confident in the way that they've carried us in a lot of games this year. They were obviously a huge part of how we got it done the other day. I thought (Ccool smiley Darious Williams’ pick-six was kind of the turning point in the game. But just the energy, the effort, and the execution at which they play with week-in and week-out has been so impressive, that consistency that seems like we talk about week-in and week-out. I think this is the greatest challenge that we've had yet as a defense and I’m looking forward to it. It’s really just kind of stacking blocks one day at a time, getting a good plan together, putting these guys in the right spots and seeing if we can go have another great performance against a great quarterback, great system, and a lot of great players. They have a bunch of All-Pros for a reason and Matt's done an outstanding job with Nate (Packers Offensive Coordinator Nathaniel) Hackett of setting it up the right way.”

(On CB Jalen Ramey’s development from last year and how Cornerbacks Coach Aubrey Pleasant has helped with that)
“(Cornerbacks Coach) Aubrey (Pleasant) has done a great job. Aubrey has such a good ability to connect with these guys. He has a great mastery of the technique that's required, specifically from those guys in the secondary, understanding how to see it through an offensive lens to be able to give you an advantage. I think really just another year of experience, you're more familiar with (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey). I think you guys have seen the versatility that he possesses, where it's not exclusive to just a great corner that can play star coverage, that has ball skills, can play physical, and can do all those things. I mean, he can bump inside, set edges on your defense, he can blitz. I think what (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley) Aubrey, our defensive staff, ‘E’ (Safeties Coach Ejiro Evero) and (Defensive Quality Control) Jonathan Cooley, have done such a good job of, is really making sure that you say, ‘All right, when you have an elite talent, who also has great football instincts and intelligence, let's make sure we maximize the ability for him to influence and affect the game, not exclusive to playing star coverage, but the different ways based on how we feel like we match up, and sometimes that's different within the framework of situations during a game.’ So, he's just evolved. I think he's really showing why he's the most complete DB in this league and the tape doesn't lie.”

(On how it has been having K Matt Gay)
"Woo. I'll tell you what, it's been huge. Man, he's Mr. Automatic, as of late. I've been really impressed with just the continuity between he, (P) Johnny (Hekker) and (LS) Jake (McQuaide). I think that's something that you don't take for granted. He's done a great job and it looks like we found our guy for a long time, really for the future."

(On his relationship with LaFleur and what made him think that he could be the successful head coach that he has become)
"I think it's just the command, the capacity for the game but most importantly, the ability to connect with people. I think he's a great communicator and one of the things that you can really appreciate about Matt is he's very demanding. He has high standards for the players that he's coaching. He's consistent with how he upholds those standards and he's got those values and I think that consistency, kind of like I've talked about our defense, is why Matt's done such a good job. You guys know too, anybody that knows Matt, he's a great guy. And so, he kind of checks all the boxes. I think what he also did, was I thought he hired a great staff around him. Then they've got great players and that's really the winning edge. I think that's why you've seen him win 13 games in the regular season, each of the last couple years, win the (NFC) North and go to a conference championship last year and be the one seed in automatic bid to the Divisional round this year, so nothing but good stuff about Matt and not surprised in the least bit."

(On if there is something about going up against a close friend like LaFleur and how you handle it)
"I don't think you want to be naive to the fact that they know a couple things that you want to make sure that you're aware of, but I also think you've got to be careful of not overthinking it. It's about your team versus the opposing team. There's an evolvement and an adaption in this league over the course of time. I think you've seen that from really, the amount of close friends that you have. I think it's a cool reflection of guys doing well and then you're seeing other close friends of yours and you kind of know how they think. But you don't know when they're going to activate certain plays and I think it can be a little bit blown out of proportion, but you don't want to be blind to the fact that they do know a couple of just foundational things that you don't want to ignore. But I think it's about the Rams versus the Packers this week. You see a lot of things that you're familiar with, but you don't know when they're going to activate them and that's where you have to do a great job of playing in all three phases."
(On the fourth preseason game in 2017, when he let LaFleur call plays)
"You know what, Matt used to call all the preseason games. In the fourth one, that was our first year, so yeah, he called that game. He had a couple of good calls and then, we like to go back and forth at one another. So, he was the first one to give me some tough comments when I'd make a bad call and so, I didn't pull any punches when he did that day. I think you've got to be able to have some fun with one another and it was a pretty special night, being there. It's sad that there won't be the fans that makes that atmosphere and environment so special. I know there'll be a few. But yeah, I do remember that. He was probably pretty mad at me. You'd have to ask him about that, see how he felt."

(On the Packers scoring on first drives this season and how to keep the ball away from QB Aaron Rodgers and their offense)
"I think it's really important. I mean, first of all, when you look at it, it's amazing as you follow the Packers, just watching how efficient they are, really on every drive, but especially the opening drives when they can play with the lead. Then they usually just pile on and it puts their defense in favorable situations where they can really tee off and make the opposing offense one dimensional. You say what's the best way to neutralize (Qcool smiley Aaron Rodgers, (WR) Davante Adams, (RB Aaron) Jones, all these guys that can make a bunch of plays for them, (TE Robert) Tonyan, it's while they're on the sideline. It keeps your defense fresh. I think it is an important element and I think you've got to do a great job of taking care of the football. You can't give them short fields. So, all those things that you just talked about are going to be huge parts of how we go up there and give ourselves the best chance to win against an excellent football team."

(On holding back who will be the starting quarterback last week and if he could possibly use Wolford because LaFleur is familiar with Goff)
"I don't know about that. I think I was proud of that and I think is an element of, it does help, where you've got to kind of prepare for two guys, that while it is the same offense, there's some different things that you can activate with each one of those quarterbacks. With the limited inventory of film on John, there's a couple of things that we've been able to do in the two games that certainly haven't seen, and we haven't shown, so there's no tendencies, no self-scout. I was proud of that because when we announced it to the team, you tell them that you want to keep it in house and for as many people to know, and then for it not to get out, it's a credit to the caliber of people that we have. I think they also understood that it was helpful for us to really make them kind of prepare for both guys and whether we take the exact same approach this week or not, I think that'll kind of unfold organically."

Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley
(On if the same amount of time is spent preparing for Packers QB Aaron Rodgers as was with Buccaneers QB Tom Brady)
"Same amount of time is required to face this guy, because those two are very alike. You're talking about two of the great players to ever play that position. I think (Packers Qcool smiley Aaron (Rodgers) is probably going to win his third MVP this year, rightfully so. Being able to have an up close and personal seat, being in a division with him in Chicago, being able to play against them last year in Denver. Then really following him his whole journey, as a player in the NFL and in college going back to Cal, I just have so much respect for him. What he's accomplished. What he's meant to that team, being able to follow a legend like (Qcool smiley Brett Favre and then have the career of your own, that stands on its own. He's as good as it gets and (I’m) excited to compete Saturday.”

(On pivoting from the Seattle game straight into interviewing for head coach openings)
“Just a busy day, but Sundays are always busy after a ball game. You just said it, took more time for those interviews, but had two really great visits with the Chargers and the Jets. Humbled, as I mentioned to you guys last time to be considered for a position like that in this league. An exciting opportunity to compete and meet with those teams. Then as soon as those interviews were over, you get right back to work on Green Bay. It was a busy day. It was a long day, but it was a good day.”

(On the approach this week if DL Aaron Donald isn’t available on Saturday)
“We have a deep group upfront. (Defensive Line Coach) Eric Henderson has done such a good job molding that group. I think you've seen the depth of that unit express itself just in that last game, in the last quarter and a half when Aaron went out, I think you saw guys make plays – (DL) Greg Gaines, (DL), A’Shawn Robinson, (DL) Morgan Fox, (DL) Sebastian Joseph-Day, (DL) Michael Brockers. So, that's a group that really, really excels as a group. Sometimes the strength of the group is just as important as anything, especially in a long season like this. We're hoping that ‘AD’ (DL Aaron Donald) can go. But those guys know what Aaron Donald means to our defense and that there's a high that they have to live up to. That we all have to live up to. I thought that they did that in that last quarter and a half.”

(On what DL Michael Brockers’ presence has meant)
“So much the intangible value of that guy on the team. It's something that you can never quantify. You have to see it to know it. When ‘Brock’ (Brockers) got to that game on Sunday, what it did for our locker room, and then when he got on that field, you just have to see it to know it and to believe it. It means so much to our team and to me personally when you come into a team as a first time defensive coordinator, who no one's ever heard of, to have a guy like that accept you and to believe in you and then to perform the way he has this year being a career year for him. He just means so much to me. I'm a huge Michael Brockers fan.”

(On if pressuring Rodgers or covering the Green Bay receiver group is more challenging)
“That question sort of expresses why these weeks are so tough, because you got a lot of things to deal with. You’ve got to deal with him and certainly all his capabilities as a player. Just all the talent he has physically and then mentally all the experiences that he's had in all these big moments. He's got this inventory that just extends far deeper than most players. Then, he's got a really talented supporting cast. You don't put up the numbers that he's been able to put up without a really talented group of players. I think he would probably tell you that the way their offensive line has performed, two who are First-Team All-Pros, (OL) David Bakhtiari, who I just want to say I have so much respect for that guy being in the division and competing against them every year. He's not playing, but man, what an amazing player that guy is and tip my cap to him and hopefully he gets back next season in a big way, because he's one of the elite players in the league. But their line has played extremely well in front of him. Then he's got a cast of receivers and backs that's really deep. We all know that (Packers WR) Davante Adams is one of the top players in the league. I mean, you guys are aware of his production and their chemistry and Davante has set a very high standard for a receiver in the league, let alone offensive player or any player. One of the premier guys in the league, in the entire league. Then they've grown up these younger receivers and then they've got a really deep running back corps. (Packers Rcool smiley Aaron Jones, (Packers Rcool smiley Jamaal Williams and then the new guy, (Packers Rcool smiley A.J. Dillon. They're just really deep, so they have a really deep offensive team and that's why you see them being able to stay balanced, productive, run and pass in all field zones – third-down, red area scoring. They're one of the elite offenses in the league.”

(On any specific moment where he realized the Rams defense was playing at a high level)
“It takes so much time to get to the point that we're at. It's been so much work and so much purposeful work in order to kind of operate, I think, how we are now. I think that's why we have created something special, is because we are doing it together. I think people have that sense of purpose for one another, which is what team sports is all about. I think when you see these guys, it doesn't matter who the guy is coming in the game and perform at a high level. You see the type of energy and the spirit that we play with, then you got a good thing. I'm talking about coaches and players, both sides of the ball, and that's what you need in order to compete at this level, this deep in the season, because it's not just going to be a couple of players or a couple of coaches that get it done. The best teams are the ones that win in the playoffs. We’re hoping that we can keep it going.”

(On Rodgers’ mobility)
“This guy's one of the elite movers at that position. I think that just as you get older, you get wiser. I just think he uses his legs more tactically now than he did when he was a younger player. He still has that athleticism to buy time to create late in the down, that's what makes him so challenging. When he moves, this guy is one of the most accurate throwers in the deep part of the field on the move in the history of this game. It's one thing to be mobile and to get out of trouble, but then to be as accurate as he is in the deep part of the field, it makes him that much more dangerous to defend. It's a real strength of his game.”

(On if CB Jalen Ramsey will travel with Adams in coverage)
“I like how you tried to sneak that one in there, it was smooth. We're still working through that right now. They present a lot of challenges formationally and how they operate. Davante is such a good player, but we're working through that.”

(On the strengths of Packers RB Aaron Jones)
“There are several. Great contact balance, tremendous vision, this guy can see can set up his blocks at a high level can create offense when there isn't any offense to create. He's got a gear that's, I think, deceptive, because this guy can really run. I think that he's a really good short-yardage, goal-line runner as well. I think that what separates you as a runner, is when you get into those scoring zones or in those ‘Gotta have it’ situations, can you get the tough yards? He can do all those things and he is a very capable pass catcher. Which truly makes you a complete back, is can you add value in the passing game and Aaron trusts him that way. Very good in the blitz pickup game as well. So, he's a very complete back. He has been for a long time a real key to their offense.”

(On Cornerbacks Coach Aubrey Pleasant working with CB Jalen Ramsey this season)
“As I mentioned last week, (Cornerbacks Coach) Aubrey Pleasant is one of the elite coaches in the league. I told you guys last week about the minority coaching situation in this league and that we've got three guys, Aubrey (Pleasant), (Safeties Coach) ‘EJ’ (Ejiro) Evero and Eric Henderson who are as good as you're going find. Aubrey, all you’ve got to do is ask (Ccool smiley Jalen Ramsey, ask (Ccool smiley Darious Williams, ask (Ccool smiley Troy Hill about their relationship with Aubrey. He's a tireless worker. He's a really talented communicator. He can see the game in all levels of the defense. Sometimes as a secondary guy, okay, do you just know the back end. He knows how the front and the back tie in together. He and ‘EJ’, they're a team back there and they're just a dynamic group of teachers. ‘EJ’ and Aubrey and Eric, those guys are all just teachers, leaders. Just so thankful that we have them on our staff and I know that our DBs, you can just see how our guys have played together to see what Aubrey and ‘EJ’ and Eric have meant to all of our guys.”

(On the advantage of having a ‘shutdown’ corner and how all the remaining playoff teams currently have one)
“Great points and so much respect for all those players. I think it changes the math in how you can approach a way of covering their eligible receivers. Traditionally, if you need to help a corner on a premium wide out, then there are going to be individual matchups elsewhere that affect the other players on your defense. When you have a corner like Jalen, it changes the math. Then, you know when you have a player that is as versatile as Jalen, where you can put him several different places within a formation, then it increases his value and the value that he creates for his teammates. I think that those guys you mentioned, those guys are all outstanding players, but you know, we feel like we have the best guy.”

(On if he has had sleepless nights preparing for Rodgers)
“The sleepless thing, it actually could actually make you sleep longer, because you're so tired thinking about it. You know you could go that way too, that's happened to me too. You either lose sleep or you fall asleep right away because you're just so tired. So, it goes both ways. Guys like this, I think the physical ability of Aaron and his talent as a thrower, as a mover, all that I think is obvious to people. But I think that game within a game that make this makes the truly elite quarterbacks special is how they beat you with their mind. He's got an incredible awareness of all 22 guys on the field. He's aware of your sideline. He's aware of the officials. He has full command over what's happening on the field and that's what truly makes him special. It's something that requires all of us working as a team in order to compete against him, because he does bring that element to the table. I think that's why he's one of the special players to play at that position.”

(On if there was a specific moment in his career where he felt he made a breakthrough)
“I think as a competitor, you're always engineering yourself to be able to handle the moment that you're in. I think that it takes special focus to achieve at the highest level in whatever profession that you're in. But you have to have that focus to be able to maximize your ability. So, that's all it is, is just being fully present, being able to thrive in that moment. Trusting all the preparation and trusting all the investment that you have in your craft to be as good as you can be in that moment, whatever it is, whether it's a practice, a game, an interview, and that's the way I've always approached things like that.”

(On Packers RBs Jamaal Williams, AJ Dillion, and Jones and the matchup between the defense and the Packers offense)
“With those backs, when you have three backs that, that can all do something a little bit different, I think it makes your offense that much more diverse and much more challenging to defend. I think what they try to establish with those guys is a physicality. When you have a fresh back in the game, that's running as hard as he can, because he knows that there's a guy that can come right in for him, I think that's an advantage that can wear defense down if the run games going. I think it gets the O-line going, when you have fresh backs in the game. The O-line, they love to run it, they love to come off the ball. So, they love fresh backs that are going to come in there and run hard. I think that those guys are all unique. I think they all do something different for that offense and I think it's a big key to why Aaron's having such a good year. Because when you have the true marriage of the run game and the pass game, it makes it that much easier to play the quarterback position. He doesn't need very much help, Aaron, but if he has it, watch out. I think that's why you've had an MVP caliber season again from him. Truly, a great group of runners. Then as for the matchup, this is why fans love the game, is to see matchups like this, to see two teams playing against each other. Their offense versus our defense, it's still a team game. It’s not going to be one side of the ball versus the other, it's going to be the Rams versus the Packers and that's what makes football so amazing, is that it's the offense, defense and kicking game coming to the field in that game, in that moment and laying it on the line for however long the game goes. It's just a matchup I think we're all excited about because they have a really good coaching staff, a really good group of players, certainly in a great venue. It's going to be good for the game.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - January 12, 2021 Head Coach Sean McVay and Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley

Shaky346January 13, 2021 01:27AM