Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

From my favorite Rams writer! Rams O line 2020 Final results

January 09, 2021 10:05PM
[www.turfshowtimes.com]

The Rams rank 7th in pass block win rate (63%), tied with the Chiefs. This is a big improvement compared to last season. In 2019, the Rams were 22nd in pass block win rate at 57%. The Rams are only 19th in run block win rate at 70%.

Whitworth 88.7 (4th best OT out of 83 OTs per PFF.) Best pass block win rate (94%) among OTs, per ESPN. 8th best run block win rate (79%) among OTs, per ESPN. Those marks are superior to those of Bakhtiari for the Packers.

Noteboom 60.3 (68th/83 OTs.) He scored better at LT compared to LG, which doesn't surprise me at all. Still a work in progress, he's at least flashed some reps at the potential to develop into a decent pass blocker. I don't know if he'll ever be much of a run blocker, but the primary job of the LT is in the passing game.

Edwards 70.3 (14th/84 OGs.) The overall ranking for both Edwards and Corbett is good. On the other hand, Wyatt Teller for the Browns (the 2018 fifth round pick by the Bills who they traded away for very little) was the top graded guard in the league with a 92.9 grade. So, the Rams guards were over 20 points behind Teller in grade.

Blythe 69.3 (13th/37 Cs.) Similar thing with Blythe. I'm pleased that he ranked in the top half of starting centers. Way better than some of the centers the Rams might have drafted or pursued in FA at higher cost. But, Corey Linsley for the Packers had an 89.9 grade, over 20 points higher. Frank Ragnow, a player I really liked in his draft, had an 80.3 grade. So, while the interior of the Rams line was solid overall, none of them were really difference makers or Pro Bowl level performers.

Corbett 70.9 (12th/84 OGs.) Entering the year, I wasn't sure what type of season Corbett would have. The trade has been worth it, he's been a good addition to the roster. At times, Corbett had made some outstanding blocks. Other times, he hasn't been as great. Overall, he's not the bust he appeared to be when he was in Cleveland. If this is mostly Kromer or just how many NFL guards take about 3 or 4 years to develop, the Rams might have to make a decision down the road with Corbett. He's under contract next year on the final season on his rookie deal. He was a 2nd round pick, so there is no 5th year option. Should the Rams try to sign him to a new deal right away? Should they wait and see what happens in 2021, just in case he doesn't play as well or gets hurt? Should they assume that he'll become too expensive to keep and try to groom a cheaper replacement?

Havenstein 80.0 (17th/83 OTs.) A healthy, rebound season from Hav was essential for the Rams OL to improve in 2020 and that is exactly what we got. I went out on a limb prior to the year and predicted that Hav would have a better season than Mitchell Schwartz. If this doesn't sound too bold to you, consider that Schwartz was named the best OT in the league by PFF prior to the season and ranked the 5th best lineman at any position by CBSSports. Moreover, while Hav had suffered a variety of injuries over his career, Schwartz had been an ironman in the NFL, playing virtually every single snap and never missing a game due to injury. While Schwartz was solid when he was on the field (74.7 PFF grade), he had a back injury that limited him to 6 starts this season. He's expected to miss the remainder of the season and not be available for the Chiefs in the playoffs. Last year, he was so impressive in the playoffs that PFF called it one of the greatest playoff performances of any player at any position.

In 2019, the Rams had the 31st OL, per PFF. Entering this season, PFF projected them to have the 25th best OL. Cynthia Frelund's projections ranked the Rams with the 20th best OL. The projections for the OL generally mirrored the overall projections for the team. Most preseason predictions had the Rams ranked in the bottom half of the NFL (17th to 23 range). ESPN's analytics said the Rams had a 45% chance of making the playoffs. Many people predicted that the Rams would finish 3rd or 4th in the NFC West.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

From my favorite Rams writer! Rams O line 2020 Final results

Steve223January 09, 2021 10:05PM