Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cam Akers vows to learn from ‘very immature’ fumble in week 17...

January 05, 2021 08:16AM
Cam Akers vows to learn from 'very immature' fumble in Week 17

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Cam Akers hasn’t looked like a rookie this season for the Rams. He’s run hard, showed patience behind his blockers and rarely made costly mistakes. But he committed a costly error in Sunday’s win over the Cardinals, one that could’ve changed the course of the game if not for the Rams defense coming up big with a safety.

On second down from the Cardinals’ 2-yard line, Akers reached the ball out toward the goal line while being tackled by a defender. Another player came in and knocked the ball out of Akers’ hand, leading to a fumble recovery by Arizona and zero points scored by the Rams.

“I just tried to reach the ball over the goal line, which is something that is very immature, I would say,” he told reporters Monday. “It’s something we preach week in and week out, don’t reach the ball over the goal line unless it’s a do-or-die situation and that was just 100% on me. Something that can’t happen, something that won’t happen, something I can learn from. Second down, no need to reach the ball out, take it and learn from it.”

Fortunately, the Rams went on to win the game and clinched a playoff berth, but that fumble could’ve been devastating and Akers knows it. Approaching the postseason, he now knows not to make that mistake again.

And speaking of the playoffs, Akers is feeling good heading into Saturday’s game against the Seahawks. He was asked about his ankle injury, which caused him to be a game-time decision Sunday, and said it feels “110” percent.

“I’m good. I came out of the game the same way I went into it, so I’m blessed,” Akers said.

He clarified that he wasn’t on a snap count at running back, having no limitations on his workload. That won’t change in the wild-card round, either, with Akers saying he’s going to be full speed moving forward.

“No dialing back. It’s all in overdrive at this point. Hurt, not hurt, it’s time to go,” he said.

Darrell Henderson will miss at least two more games with a high ankle sprain of his own, so Akers doesn’t have much competition left for touches in the backfield.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cam Akers vows to learn from ‘very immature’ fumble in week 17...

Rams43205January 05, 2021 08:16AM

Re: Cam Akers vows to learn from ‘very immature’ fumble in week 17...

Rams43122January 05, 2021 08:18AM

I don't know, you may be right... but to me..

JamesJM117January 05, 2021 08:23AM