Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Perspective on Goff

December 02, 2020 05:21PM
There's obviously been a lot of talk about Goff this week and I try to look at things from different perspectives to try and see things in context. Since the KC game in '18, Goff just hasn't been the same QB. Now, part of that is the ridiculous standard set by him the first half of '18. It's unfair to expect him to maintain the perfect storm level of standards from back then.

So, I wonder if I, among others, have been too critical of him? Maybe too much is expected of him? I've looked at film studies and compared his numbers to his peers and I feel like my criticism is warranted. I think it's telling that Goff and Baker Mayfield have the exact same passer rating this year and that that should make people realize Goff's level of play.

But, I was also curious how Goff would compare to our previous #1 overall QB. The Spagnuolo led/Fisher led Rams were a mess and a comparison would surely illustrate, even though Goff has been frustrating, how much better we have things now.

Bradford's last 32 regular season games as a Ram: 41TD/23INT 80.9 rating.
Goff's last 32 regular season games as a Ram: 44TD/32INT 86.7 rating.

Sadly, Goff is barely producing more TD's than Bradford did and he's actually turning it over much more. Bradford never really produced TD's at a high level and part of that was the conservative coach and lack of personnel. It was largely due to Bradford too but his situation wasn't exactly ideal for a QB. I think we can all agree on that. So, for Goff to be very nearly replicating that low level of play is downright disturbing. I would have bet that the numbers wouldn't be close at all. That although Goff has had his struggles, he's still be much better than what we had back in '11 - '13. I mean, that was during the lame duck, 2-14 season under Spagnuolo.

For 2 years worth of games now, I think it's important to realize just how much Goff has struggled and I hope this will illustrate that idea and put into perspective how much he needs to get back on track.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Perspective on Goff

moklerman301December 02, 2020 05:21PM