Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - December 2, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley, QB Jared Goff and Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury

December 02, 2020 05:06PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
December 2, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley,
QB Jared Goff and Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury

Head Coach Sean McVay

(On injuries)
“Everybody's feeling pretty good. (DL) Sebastian (Joseph-Day) had a little bit of a hip that limited him today. (OL) Brian Allen's knee is still limiting him a little bit, but other than that everybody's feeling good.”

(On OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo returning this week)
“I think this is the week for him. It would be good to get him back.”

(On the matchup between Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins and CB Jalen Ramsey)
“These guys have a lot of experience playing against one another. Two great players, two perennial Pro Bowlers, All Pros. You see the plays in the production that (Cardinals WR) DeAndre (Hopkins) has made throughout the course of his career. He can do it all. They do a great job of trying to make sure he gets his touches. There will be some situations where he and (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) will be going against one another. Jalen’s had a great season. He's done so many things. I think Jalen is a guy that's not just playing star coverage, he's playing all over the field. He's a great football player for us. I know that he relishes the opportunities to go against great players that he has a lot of respect for. I've talked to him about DeAndre and I know he feels really strongly and respects his game. That's what you love about the NFL.”

(On the Cardinals defense)
“This is a really good football team. What's occurred in the past has nothing to do with this game. There is continuity at the coordinator spots, but these guys are playing really well. They have great playmakers in all three phases. I think (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Vance) Joseph does an excellent job. You see the impact players. Obviously, (Ccool smiley Patrick Peterson has been producing at such a high level. (OLcool smiley Chandler Jones, not being there, you know what a great player he's been. I think (S) Budda Baker has ascended into one of the best players in this league. If you watch and you say, ‘What does it look like to compete with a relentless passion every single snap?’ you watch #32 (Budda Baker) for their defense. I think (OLcool smiley Markus Golden's been a really good addition for them. They're getting really good play on all three levels. They play hard, they're an aggressive defense and it's going to be a really good challenge for us. Everybody's looking forward to bouncing back and it’s not going to be easy, but that's what you love about the opportunity to respond and that's exactly what I believe our guys will do.”

(On if it is a relief getting consistency from K Matt Gay)
“Yes. I think it was a step in the right direction. It's been two weeks and he was automatic the other day. He is definitely demonstrating all the things that you look for in somebody that, hopefully, is that long-term solution, like we talked about. I really like his demeanor. I liked the way he's handled himself. He has a great way about himself and the production speaks for itself. I’m looking forward to seeing that continue. Looking forward to seeing, hopefully, just more extra points. Not as many field-goal opportunities but finishing drives in the red zone and then a lot of kickoffs. But a good opportunity for him to show why we have such a high level of confidence in him through the two weeks that he's played with us.”

(On if he is confident QB Jared Goff will bounce back after Sunday’s loss and how he looked a practice today)
“Yeah, I am. He looked good. I mean, it's practice. You have to attack the week the right way with a great week of preparation and then we have to play when the game counts. You can never truly simulate that once you get to this point in the season, but you can create competitive reps. That's something that we try to do. Try to stress our guys throughout the course of the week and that's really for all three phases. But I liked the way that he started out. One of the things that you do really appreciate about him is he steady, he's neutral. He's coming back ready to go, and that's what you want. You don't want somebody that's going to ride the emotional roller coaster. I think there's too many ebbs and flows, especially at that quarterback position. I am looking forward to seeing him bounce back. I know he's going to do everything in his power to have the right kind of preparation with he and (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin (O’Connell) this week and hopefully it leads to a good performance.”

(On how the wind advisory affects practice)
“Yeah, it definitely does. Because of the wind advisory and tomorrow being a really important workday – I think last week with the short week, I probably did our guys a disservice not giving us an opportunity to practice with the fundamentals and the techniques. I thought it was the right decision, but you always have to be honest with yourself, reflect, and look back. I think it's important enough that we'll do virtual meetings in the morning, and then we'll go down and practice that SoFi (Stadium) tomorrow in a more controlled setting because we need to get that work in. You can see the amount of good work that gets in, even though it is minimal once you get this late in the season, is something that you can't take for granted. That’s what we'll do tomorrow as a result of the wind advisory.”

(On how SoFi Stadium has influenced whether he would like an indoor or outdoor practice facility)
“I think you'd like to have the availability for both. I just know out here, once it gets later in the season, it's nearly impossible. We've had different challenges each of the last few years since I've been here, whether it be the fires or whether it be the winds. Those are things that are really important. You don't get enough time to practice. Fortunately for us, we do have SoFi. But we'll see, talking about a new facility. That’s probably about 15 years away right now (laughs). What are we talking about? Let’s just get our eighth win, lets try to go get ready for this. We will go to SoFi and practice. You want to talk about a new facility, I’ll be aged about 50 years by then.”

(On how happy he is with the offensive line) is
“I think they've been pretty steady for the most part. I thought last week was not one of their best performances for the expectations that we have. I think you have to give San Francisco credit, but I think, for the most part, we've done a better job of handling movement, covering people up in the run game and creating movement. We weren't really able to really do that, with the exception of a couple of runs. I've been pleased with them and I think (Run Game Coordinator) Coach (Aaron) Kromer does an outstanding job, but I do think last week wasn't reflective of the standards and the expectations. I know those guys are itching to be able to get a chance to compete against a tough front this week.”

(On Cardinals QB Kyler Murray)
“When you watch him, the one thing that stands out is this guy's playing the quarterback position at a high level. He can stand in there, he can recognize coverage, he can progress through things. When he ends up breaking contains, he’s keeping his eyes down the field. And then when he is activated as a runner, he's a great quarterback that has amazing running skills. What I'm so impressed with is his ability to slip punches. Usually you see guys that run the football and carry as much as him, they're taking a lot of shots. He just has such a great way about being able to slip those punches, almost like a great boxer. You never saw Floyd Mayweather really get caught. That's kind of how I look at him, but then he's got the speed and athleticism like (Former Falcons QB Michael) Vick to be able to run away from you. You see some of the runs that he's making against All Pro type of players and he's running away, separating. Sometimes you're watching and you're saying, ‘Holy, this is a joke, man. I can't believe we got to freaking defend this guy’. But as a fan of the game, this guy's awesome. Not looking forward to having to play him twice a year, but I do know that our defense is excited about the challenge. He's a great player. He's a great quarterback. (Cardinals Head Coach) Kliff (Kingsburry) does an outstanding job with him and I've been very impressed with the way that he handles himself. I love what type of competitor he is when I watched the way he handled himself throughout the course of games. His guys believe in him and that's what you look for in a quarterback.”

(On Goff improving his play last December)
“I just remember he finished strong. I know that you earn every opportunity to play well. I thought he did a great job against the Cardinals. You have to have great preparation. He got into a good rhythm early, guys made plays for him, he was able to hit somethings where guys were creating after the catch. Then I thought he saw the field well, I thought guys protected. He was able to progress, hit spots, and do a bunch of different things that are reflective of playing the position at a high level. Being a great point guard, distributing the ball, and he was really efficient on third downs. Those are the things that we're looking for and he's done that in spurts this year. It's not a matter of is he capable of it? It's just a matter of let's be more consistent, let's understand the focus and concentration required snap in and snap out. The one thing too is, with the position being as difficult as it is, inevitably, I don't care how great you are, there's always going to be a couple of plays each game you want back. We just have to make sure that, situationally, we have a great understanding and like we talked about, continue doing a great job of trying to take care of the football and make good decisions snap in and snap out. This isn't an ability question. It's just let's go get an opportunity to play at the level that he has and now we have to do it.”

(On coaching the players to bring out their best)
“You really keep it real and you say, ‘What we can't allow is the 49ers to beat us twice.’ The best thing is as a competitor, any great competitor – you show me a great competitor and I'll show you somebody that's responded from adversity. You can't allow setbacks to just be demoralizing. You use it as a setup for a comeback and you have to really continue to believe it. All you can do is be totally present. What happened in the 49ers game, has nothing to do with what we're going to do this week, unless we allow it to. I know I didn't feel that at all from our players. Are they disappointed we didn't get it done? Yeah. But I can promise you this, we’ll be a lot more disappointed if we allow it to filter into this week. I haven't sensed that at all. I know our coaches are excited about the preparation. I thought the players handled today really well and we have to stack a couple more good days and then let's go let it all hang out on Sunday against the Cardinals.”

(On injuries)
“Everybody's feeling pretty good. (DL) Sebastian (Joseph-Day) had a little bit of a hip that limited him today. (OL) Brian Allen's knee is still limiting him a little bit, but other than that everybody's feeling good.”

(On OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo returning this week)
“I think this is the week for him. It would be good to get him back.”

(On the matchup between Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins and CB Jalen Ramsey)
“These guys have a lot of experience playing against one another. Two great players, two perennial Pro Bowlers, All Pros. You see the plays in the production that (Cardinals WR) DeAndre (Hopkins) has made throughout the course of his career. He can do it all. They do a great job of trying to make sure he gets his touches. There will be some situations where he and (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) will be going against one another. Jalen’s had a great season. He's done so many things. I think Jalen is a guy that's not just playing star coverage, he's playing all over the field. He's a great football player for us. I know that he relishes the opportunities to go against great players that he has a lot of respect for. I've talked to him about DeAndre and I know he feels really strongly and respects his game. That's what you love about the NFL.”

(On the Cardinals defense)
“This is a really good football team. What's occurred in the past has nothing to do with this game. There is continuity at the coordinator spots, but these guys are playing really well. They have great playmakers in all three phases. I think (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Vance) Joseph does an excellent job. You see the impact players. Obviously, (Ccool smiley Patrick Peterson has been producing at such a high level. (OLcool smiley Chandler Jones, not being there, you know what a great player he's been. I think (S) Budda Baker has ascended into one of the best players in this league. If you watch and you say, ‘What does it look like to compete with a relentless passion every single snap?’ you watch #32 (Budda Baker) for their defense. I think (OLcool smiley Markus Golden's been a really good addition for them. They're getting really good play on all three levels. They play hard, they're an aggressive defense and it's going to be a really good challenge for us. Everybody's looking forward to bouncing back and it’s not going to be easy, but that's what you love about the opportunity to respond and that's exactly what I believe our guys will do.”

(On if it is a relief getting consistency from K Matt Gay)
“Yes. I think it was a step in the right direction. It's been two weeks and he was automatic the other day. He is definitely demonstrating all the things that you look for in somebody that, hopefully, is that long-term solution, like we talked about. I really like his demeanor. I liked the way he's handled himself. He has a great way about himself and the production speaks for itself. I’m looking forward to seeing that continue. Looking forward to seeing, hopefully, just more extra points. Not as many field-goal opportunities but finishing drives in the red zone and then a lot of kickoffs. But a good opportunity for him to show why we have such a high level of confidence in him through the two weeks that he's played with us.”

(On if he is confident QB Jared Goff will bounce back after Sunday’s loss and how he looked a practice today)
“Yeah, I am. He looked good. I mean, it's practice. You have to attack the week the right way with a great week of preparation and then we have to play when the game counts. You can never truly simulate that once you get to this point in the season, but you can create competitive reps. That's something that we try to do. Try to stress our guys throughout the course of the week and that's really for all three phases. But I liked the way that he started out. One of the things that you do really appreciate about him is he steady, he's neutral. He's coming back ready to go, and that's what you want. You don't want somebody that's going to ride the emotional roller coaster. I think there's too many ebbs and flows, especially at that quarterback position. I am looking forward to seeing him bounce back. I know he's going to do everything in his power to have the right kind of preparation with he and (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin (O’Connell) this week and hopefully it leads to a good performance.”

(On how the wind advisory affects practice)
“Yeah, it definitely does. Because of the wind advisory and tomorrow being a really important workday – I think last week with the short week, I probably did our guys a disservice not giving us an opportunity to practice with the fundamentals and the techniques. I thought it was the right decision, but you always have to be honest with yourself, reflect, and look back. I think it's important enough that we'll do virtual meetings in the morning, and then we'll go down and practice that SoFi (Stadium) tomorrow in a more controlled setting because we need to get that work in. You can see the amount of good work that gets in, even though it is minimal once you get this late in the season, is something that you can't take for granted. That’s what we'll do tomorrow as a result of the wind advisory.”

(On how SoFi Stadium has influenced whether he would like an indoor or outdoor practice facility)
“I think you'd like to have the availability for both. I just know out here, once it gets later in the season, it's nearly impossible. We've had different challenges each of the last few years since I've been here, whether it be the fires or whether it be the winds. Those are things that are really important. You don't get enough time to practice. Fortunately for us, we do have SoFi. But we'll see, talking about a new facility. That’s probably about 15 years away right now (laughs). What are we talking about? Let’s just get our eighth win, lets try to go get ready for this. We will go to SoFi and practice. You want to talk about a new facility, I’ll be aged about 50 years by then.”

(On how happy he is with the offensive line) is
“I think they've been pretty steady for the most part. I thought last week was not one of their best performances for the expectations that we have. I think you have to give San Francisco credit, but I think, for the most part, we've done a better job of handling movement, covering people up in the run game and creating movement. We weren't really able to really do that, with the exception of a couple of runs. I've been pleased with them and I think (Run Game Coordinator) Coach (Aaron) Kromer does an outstanding job, but I do think last week wasn't reflective of the standards and the expectations. I know those guys are itching to be able to get a chance to compete against a tough front this week.”

(On Cardinals QB Kyler Murray)
“When you watch him, the one thing that stands out is this guy's playing the quarterback position at a high level. He can stand in there, he can recognize coverage, he can progress through things. When he ends up breaking contains, he’s keeping his eyes down the field. And then when he is activated as a runner, he's a great quarterback that has amazing running skills. What I'm so impressed with is his ability to slip punches. Usually you see guys that run the football and carry as much as him, they're taking a lot of shots. He just has such a great way about being able to slip those punches, almost like a great boxer. You never saw Floyd Mayweather really get caught. That's kind of how I look at him, but then he's got the speed and athleticism like (Former Falcons QB Michael) Vick to be able to run away from you. You see some of the runs that he's making against All Pro type of players and he's running away, separating. Sometimes you're watching and you're saying, ‘Holy, this is a joke, man. I can't believe we got to freaking defend this guy’. But as a fan of the game, this guy's awesome. Not looking forward to having to play him twice a year, but I do know that our defense is excited about the challenge. He's a great player. He's a great quarterback. (Cardinals Head Coach) Kliff (Kingsburry) does an outstanding job with him and I've been very impressed with the way that he handles himself. I love what type of competitor he is when I watched the way he handled himself throughout the course of games. His guys believe in him and that's what you look for in a quarterback.”

(On Goff improving his play last December)
“I just remember he finished strong. I know that you earn every opportunity to play well. I thought he did a great job against the Cardinals. You have to have great preparation. He got into a good rhythm early, guys made plays for him, he was able to hit somethings where guys were creating after the catch. Then I thought he saw the field well, I thought guys protected. He was able to progress, hit spots, and do a bunch of different things that are reflective of playing the position at a high level. Being a great point guard, distributing the ball, and he was really efficient on third downs. Those are the things that we're looking for and he's done that in spurts this year. It's not a matter of is he capable of it? It's just a matter of let's be more consistent, let's understand the focus and concentration required snap in and snap out. The one thing too is, with the position being as difficult as it is, inevitably, I don't care how great you are, there's always going to be a couple of plays each game you want back. We just have to make sure that, situationally, we have a great understanding and like we talked about, continue doing a great job of trying to take care of the football and make good decisions snap in and snap out. This isn't an ability question. It's just let's go get an opportunity to play at the level that he has and now we have to do it.”

(On coaching the players to bring out their best)
“You really keep it real and you say, ‘What we can't allow is the 49ers to beat us twice.’ The best thing is as a competitor, any great competitor – you show me a great competitor and I'll show you somebody that's responded from adversity. You can't allow setbacks to just be demoralizing. You use it as a setup for a comeback and you have to really continue to believe it. All you can do is be totally present. What happened in the 49ers game, has nothing to do with what we're going to do this week, unless we allow it to. I know I didn't feel that at all from our players. Are they disappointed we didn't get it done? Yeah. But I can promise you this, we’ll be a lot more disappointed if we allow it to filter into this week. I haven't sensed that at all. I know our coaches are excited about the preparation. I thought the players handled today really well and we have to stack a couple more good days and then let's go let it all hang out on Sunday against the Cardinals.”

Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley

(On dealing with another with another mobile quarterback in Cardinals QB Kyler Murray and how you defend him)
"Oh man, long press conference to detail all that it takes, for sure. He's just a terrific player just doing such a good job. Has grown I think within (Cardinals Head Coach) Kliff’s (Kingsbury) offense in a big way. They've certainly added a lot of pieces around him. But, just playing with confidence. He’s been able to navigate a lot of difficult defenses this year that have had a full year to kind of prepare for him. So, I think he's navigated that part of being an NFL quarterback really well. He's just electric. Every down, you have to be on point because at any moment he can change the game. He really is a rare player for the position. But the thing I respect a lot about him is he's been a winner wherever he's been, from high school, to college and then elevating that team now to being a contender. So, he's got real toughness and real quarterback stuff. It’s going to be a big challenge for us.”

(On if they will play a spy on Murray)
“I think that is a certainly a way that you can go about defending him. The thing that's unique about (Cardinals Qcool smiley Kyler (Murray) is that he's faster than a lot of the spies that you may have on the field. This guy's got real speed and sometimes when you spy a quarterback, they actually will stay in the pocket and be able to hurt you more from a passing standpoint. So, that's certainly a way that you can defend a guy like that. I don't think that that's probably at the top of our list in terms of trying to go about containing this guy, because he's just a rare athlete for the position.”

(On if there will be any similarities to defending Seattle QB Russell Wilson)
“Yeah, there's similarities for sure. I think they're different. They're different athletes in terms of their body builds and (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell's (Wilson) a bigger guy than Kyler. Although, Kyler does have strong legs. Russell's just a bigger guy, where Kyler is a faster guy. He’s got just elite speed for the position, where you can feel like you're in good shape and this guy can just outrun you. I mean, you could just make a long movie of him just out running elite defenders. I'm talking about not only good defenders, but guys that are really fast, he's got that type of speed. So, I think that the differences probably a lot lie in the overall gear that Kyler has. But, where they're the same is, it's never over. I think that's where they're the most alike is, it's never over till it's over. In those ‘gotta-have-it’ situations, third-down, red (zone), two-minute in a game and a half, those guys really take the game over.”

(On the defensive secondary approach to defending San Francisco)
“We wanted to play a variety of groupings against them. They're a team that, you give them a steady diet of one thing and you're going to have a long day. Those guys do a really good job coaching, particularly in the run game. We wanted to mix it up with our DB groupings, playing a lot of different packages in the game and putting guys where we felt like we could have the best combination of players to defend their particular groupings. I think that with (49ers TE George) Kittle being out, they played some different packages offensively that we wanted to respond to, and we were able to do that, I thought effectively. But one of the strengths of our group is our DBs can do a lot of different jobs well. In a game like that, you need to have DBs to navigate kind of how they play because they can create so many different formations for you. Then they have real team speed, the guys that carry the ball for that team have real speed. So, you need to have athleticism on the field to sort of match that and we feel like we did a pretty good job of that. Certainly, we wish that result would have been different, but I thought our guys really competed in the game and adjusted to all the things that that team really presents for you in the run game, attacking you on the edge. I thought our guys really make good adjustments. Certainly, in the second half we gave ourselves a chance to win.”

(On LB Troy Reeder’s potential)
“I'm really proud of (Lcool smiley Troy (Reeder). I felt like part of the reason why he was so productive is San Francisco runs the ball a lot. When you're an inside linebacker, you're around the action quite a bit. I thought that Troy did a nice job with the command of the defense. He wasn't perfect, I know that there are reps that he would like to have back for sure. But I thought that he really competes. This guy's got real toughness. He can run, that's why he's a good special teams player for us. But so much of playing against a team like San Francisco is they just play with so much variety and there's so much pre-snap motion and post-snap, things that you have to operate with defensively. I thought the Troy, more than anything, really settled into the game after probably that first quarter and starting to play really good football for us. And you know, he's still a young guy, this is only his second year, really that was the second start this year. So, I look for continued improvement from him. I think that the good thing about him as the guy coaching him, (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers) Joe Barry is as good as coaches you're going to find. I just think that Troy being able to play with (Lcool smiley Kenny (Young), those guys getting in tandem, the more they play together and practice moving forward, the better he’ll be.”

(On the challenges of facing Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins)
“Yeah, well, certainly a number one, so much respect for (WR) Larry Fitzgerald. He and I are around the same age, this guy's a Hall of Fame player, one of the elite competitors at that position. Just a guy that I had the most respect for, just the way he is not only as a wide out, but just the type of leader he is, the type of competitor and is still playing well. You can still see that he's energizing and mobilizing that team. He's such a great guy to be able to mold those young wideouts. But then, (Cardinals WR) DeAndre (Hopkins) has certainly established himself as one of the premier players in the NFL, let alone a receiver. The good thing for (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) is those guys have had a lot of matchups being in the same division against one another. Those guys have a great sense of who each other is. Much like a few weeks ago when Jalen was going head to head with (Seattle WR DK) Metcalf and then (Buccaneers WR) Mike Evans and (Buccaneers WR) Antonio (Brown) and all those guys, that's what makes the NFL special. Certainly, these guys have had a history together, so that kind of adds to the intrigue, but the DeAndre has really fit in well with that offense. I think Kliff is doing a really good job getting him the football and he's a really dangerous player. He can really challenge you in the deep part of the field. He’s physical. He can run the route tree inside and out. He's really good after the catch, if he catches it short, he can break tackles. So, it's going to be a fun matchup for fans for sure.”

(On whether he factors in schemes Murray hasn’t seen when game planning)
“I think that group in Arizona is doing a really good job coaching him. I think that he is responding well. The best compliment you can give a player is when teams are scheming for you, and certainly you can see that every week, that people are trying to execute a game plan for Kyler Murray. That’s when you know that you've established yourself as a real player in this league. So, it's a credit to him. I think it's a credit to their coaching staff that they're the number two in offense in the NFL. That's the reality. Two years ago, they were not the number two offense in the NFL and the biggest differences they have Kyler Murray playing quarterback. He’s able to affect the game, even when he doesn't have the ball. He can create space for people because they're so worried about him. To me, that's the great compliment is the value that he creates for his teammates. He’s certainly a guy that is earning his way in this league.”

(On what he expects to improve on heading into Week 13)
“We just want to be able to our execution each and every week. We want to continue to improve our execution. The more we play within our defense, the more that we get into these game plans, our guys having that command that allows you to play fast and react and respond the way you need to against all these good players and good offenses. I think from a fundamental standpoint, I think that that's always going to be something that we focus on because at the end of the year, when practices start to taper a little bit, you can't lose your fundamentals. You can't lose your technique. As you know, one of the big things that we've been emphasized in the second half of the season has been takeaways. We've been able to get them, I think we've had 10 in the last three weeks. That's part of fundamentals of playing with the right technique and awareness will get you the takeaways. The technique and execution are definitely things that we're going to be looking forward to as we finish this season out.”

(On how to slow down Murray and Hopkins)
“I think because of Kyler and DeAndre being kind of high-profile players, something that's lost with that team is that (Cardinals Rcool smiley Kenyan Drake and (Cardinals Rcool smiley Chase Edmonds are outstanding running backs. I mean, these guys are really, really good. They've got tight ends that can play with versatility that give them a real ability to run the, and throw it with (Cardinals TE Dan) Arnold and (Cardinals TE Maxx) Williams. I love these two running backs. I think they're both really good. I played it against Kenyan when he was in Miami. I have a lot of respect for him. He's got real speed. He’s got real versatility, so does Chase. I think those guys are really quality players. I think what that does to you is it really forces you to defend all five people on the field and they have a really prolific receiving corps for sure. They have running backs that can hurt you both in the run game and the pass game. Then they have a quarterback that can make it happen in more ways than one. That's why I think that they're gaining so many yards is because they have a lot of weapons. The other thing that also doesn't get, you know, stated enough about their offense is that they're O-line plays really well together. There's a reason why these guys are able to gain so many yards, those O-lineman play really well together. You can see that they're well coached. You see that they play really hard. Them getting (RT Kelvin) Beachum was a really good addition to that right side of their line. This is a real offense, they've proven it. We’re at week 12 and they're number two.”

(On if he is expecting to have Ramsey in a full capacity and the impact of learning he may be limited against the 49ers in pregame)
“Yeah, it's just one of those things that kind of popped up right before the ballgame, fortunately he's okay. But it was just one of those things where, it happens sometimes to players before the game. We just wanted to make sure that he was well, monitor him and make sure that there was nothing residual going into the game. I think we're just kind of cautious a little bit. But from my understanding, he's full-go in talking with him, he's excited about this week and we kind of avoided something bigger happening and he'll be full-speed for this week.”

(Closing Statement)
“Chris Rizzo, one of my former players, high school coach in the state of Arizona, Ironwood High School, taking his team to the state final four. They won a playoff game for the first time since 2005. ‘Rizz’, good luck this week. Proud of you. Crush it. We're going to be rooting for you. So, Chris Rizzo guys, one of my former guys that Carol."

QB Jared Goff
(On how much better the Cardinals defense is this year)
"Yeah, they've improved tremendously. I think you can see it right away on film, just the stuff they're doing differently, defensively. Then just their players, they've made some moves in free agency over the offseason and did some good things and it shows up."

(On how he felt about Head Coach Sean McVay being open about him needing to protect the football)
"Yeah. If he was lying, I'd feel differently about it. He's absolutely right and I'm a big boy. I can handle it. We have a great relationship and I'm accountable for myself. I need to be better than that. I need to take care of the football and he's absolutely right and I will. I have done that for majority of my entire football career and will continue to take care of the football better."

(On how he is able to not let previous mistakes to influence his game)
"Yeah. I think it's just being smarter decision-making. You're still being aggressive. I don't think that will ever leave me and just confidence wise, I've always been confident and been able to overcome mistakes, but at the same time, I don't want to keep sitting here and saying that I need to take care of the ball better. I mean, I'll just be smarter with it, make better decisions. I think, prior to last week, I thought I was doing a pretty good job of it and then last week, I let it get away from me a little bit. Just getting back on track, I've played for a long time and have a lot of confidence in myself, in my ability and my ability to take care of the football and so, just get back to being me. Just taking care of the ball and still being an aggressive, like you're saying, absolutely. I still need to be aggressive."

(On his thoughts on Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson)
"(CB Patrick Peterson) Pat, yeah, he's got obviously, I think the number one thing you see with him is his ball skills. He's a receiver playing corner with how good he can catch and how his ability to break on the ball and then, I think as he's become older, he's gotten so smart and understands concepts and understands where guys are supposed to be, reads the quarterbacks eye, he reads the quarterbacks feet. He's an all-around good player and has been for a long time, a great player and continues to be."

(On McVay mentioning the missed practice and if he believes it had an impact on the game)
"Oh, I don't know. I'm thinking whenever a game ends up like that, you probably look back and think maybe some of those things, but we we've had games in the past before here where we haven't practiced throughout the week and have played tremendously. So, it's here or there, who knows, but obviously he knows better than I would on how we want to practice."

(On when he learned how to absorb and process criticism as a quarterback)
"Yeah, that's a good question. I mean really when I was in high school, I think I kind of understood the responsibility of it. You're not receiving nearly as much praise or criticism in high school, but you start to understand your responsibility of being a quarterback on a team and what that comes with. I think through college, I had my fair share of bumps that kind of hits you in the face and I think that's part of the job, is getting through those things and right now that's what I'm doing. It's part of it and I had a rough game. You try to limit them and move on, but for the 24 hours after it, I was not in a happy place for sure. Really, really, disappointed in myself but you move on. You've got a game this week, we've got a big game this week, you move on, you play well, and then you just keep moving on. That's all you can do and stay confident and it's just part of the game."

(On what he is like during games when things are not going great)
"That's kind of what I was just saying, just stay the course. I mean, I've had plenty of games where they've gone tremendously and we've lost and plenty of games where they've gone poorly and then they flipped around in the third and fourth quarter and you finished the game with a win and you feel great about it. And so, just it's play after play, just staying focused and staying in it and doing your job."

(On what challenges the Cardinals defense brings)
"They're a great team. I think I kind of touched on it earlier, how much I think they've improved defensively and overall as a team this year and how well they're playing, but yeah, that'll be a good challenge for us. They do a lot of good things. They do a lot of different things. I think (S) Budda Baker is one of the top players in the league at his position and overall in the league. They do a lot of things that will give us challenge, but we'll be ready for it."

(On his relationship with Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell)
"Yeah, extremely comfortable. (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin (O’Connell) has been great for me. I think when I first think back to when we first got on the field, because it was really training camp. It's only been a handful of months now and at this point we really have been working together, but it's just continue to grow and we continue to understand each other better. I trust him, he trusts me, we're able to have pretty good dialogue during games, after games, before games, just completely open and trying to figure things out, work through things. He's been tremendous for me and my development."

(On if he believes he has ownership of the offense)
"Oh yeah."

(On what he sees differently that he didn't have last year as opposed to this year)
"I think in the run game, I've taken a step forward. Absolutely. Just kind of understanding our scheme and what we're trying to get down on each run. Where the point of attack is, why we're getting out of it versus certain looks. Really diving into that a little bit more has been a good thing for me."

(On what is meant by not letting the 49ers beat you twice this week)
"Yeah, it's flush it. You can't control it, we play 16 of them and each week's a different week. We're going to be upset about that game, like I said, for 24 hours and I was over it after that, and we all were and we move forward. We were bummed about it but we moved forward and it's really easy to move forward when you have a good team you're playing, another division game, another team that you have to really spend a lot of time on and focus on. So, it makes it a little bit easier."

(On if practicing at SoFi Stadium helps him as a quarterback)
"Absolutely. Yeah. Anytime we can get out of this wind and get into an area where we can work on some throws and do some different things in the pass game. Absolutely it helps getting those reps and continuing to get on the same page which is huge."

(On when he thinks a quarterback gains veterans status)
"I think as soon as you get your second contract, probably. That would make most sense, right? I don't know. That's usually four or five (years). Yeah, I mean, I don't know. It's not a very good answer. I guess you could still be young in year four and have a second deal. I'd probably, I don't know. I think it's different for everybody. I don't know. That's a good question."

(On if he feels like a veteran)
"Oh yeah, I do at this point. Yeah. I think a part of it too, is being with the same coach and being absorbing that offense for as long as I have and being a part of the same organization for so long. Absolutely."

Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury

(On how Cardinals QB Kyler Murray has developed from Year 1 to Year 2)
“I think he's come a long way, there's no question. I think it starts with him, he's eliminated so many negative plays that kind of put us behind the sticks last year when he was trying to maybe do too much or not know when the party was over, and get rid of it and avoid those sacks. It starts with that and he's getting through his progressions a lot quicker and then knowing when to pull the trigger and take off and use his legs. He's been really efficient for most of the season. It's been fun to watch him progress. I think he's still got a long way to go, but, we like the way he's moving.”

(On his impressions of Rams Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley)
“I've been really impressed with the job he's done, and it starts with just how hard that group is playing. I mean to me, that jumps out on tape. They're playing hard, they’re playing with enthusiasm. They're flying around. The scheme is more of a zone-coverage scheme than ran last year. It’s an attacking defense they're playing with a lot of confidence. I think there's a stat where they're only allowing an average of five points a game in the second half, that's a credit to (Rams Defensive Coordinator) Coach in that phase and it'll be a heck of a challenge trying to make first downs.”

(On how he feels his defense will matchup against the Rams offense)
“We've had a tough time around here, the past, however many games in a row trying to slow that down. So, we'll see how it plays out. But, I'm a huge fan of (Rams Head Coach) Sean (McVay), obviously and the job he does. He's one of the brightest offensive minds in the game and week in, week out, coming up with new things to challenge you. They'll have a great plan for us. So, we'll do the best we can to try and slow it down. But, they're a talented group.”

(On Rams QB Jared Goff)
“I think he's a guy that they put so much on. He's getting them into the right play, almost every snap, doing some sort of check or read to make sure they're in the right offensive place. So, I've always been impressed at how he can orchestrate that week in and week out. He’s still a top guy in this league when you look at the production, the throws he makes on the move. The things he does for that offense and continues to help his team win.”

(On a potential Rams CB Jalen Ramsey – Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins matchup)
“Yeah, I'm sure it'll be a great matchup. (Rams CB Jalen) Ramsey is a tremendous competitor, tremendous player, really like watching him play. I like the way they're using him. Not only just matching up at corner, but letting them play in space and chase the football. He's really shown what a complete defensive player he is. So, they'll have a heck of a battle on Sunday, I'm sure.”

(On what Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins has brought to the Cardinals offense this season)
“A lot of confidence, I'd say. I mean, he's a guy that when (Cardinals Qcool smiley Kyler (Murray) needs a play, he feels confident in finding DeAndre and DeAndre is a guy who for their limited time on task, has really fit in well with Kyler. I think it's just going to get better, their relationship. But you see where we were at offensively last year and you add him, we've definitely made some big strides.”

(On the approach to coaching against a struggling quarterback)
“Yeah, that's a great question. You hope that it stays that way. But, a player like (Rams QB Jared) Goff, when you see him have a tough day, you usually think you're going to come back and play really well. Because that's type of competitor he is and that’s kind of his track record as I’ve followed him. And like I’ve said, they've had huge offensive days, the last, I think three seasons against us. So, we know the level he can play at and that's the level we're expecting to get.”

(On preparing against Ramsey and the ‘star’ position)
“It's definitely a challenge. Like when I saw it, I thought it was a brilliant move by them allowing him to kind of showcase what he can do and the way he can close space and then being an eraser for them in that role. So offensively, when you see that, you try to do different things to attack it. That’s a great role for him. I just thought it was a very smart move by them to allow him to not just be occupied by one guy, but kind of see the ball and chase it and then kind of seek and destroy.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - December 2, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley, QB Jared Goff and Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury

Shaky411December 02, 2020 05:06PM