Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well, it's kind of hard to argue with that.

November 28, 2020 03:52AM
In watching the Eagles a couple of times, I've thought similar things.
They seem to draft the way fans think you ought to draft: BPA regardless of position. Just stack the board 1 - 200 and take the next number that comes up.

But the reality is that you have to look at your roster and determine where you must bolster it through the draft, and then go after players that fit that bill. If you can't get that guy, then go FA for the short term.

The Eagles have somehow allowed much of their roster to get old, which is always a problem.
And having paid Wentz that huge money, they either have an albatross hanging around their neck, or they need a new HC and OC that can perhaps resurrect Wentz' career.

Wentz imo is not a total loss. He hasn't forgotten how to play football. The next coach has to design his offense around what Wentz can do best at this point in his career. If it was me, I'd do an RPO based offense and get Wentz back involved in the running game because running has always been the fulcrum of Wentz' game. Take it away and Wentz isn't Wentz any more (same thing for Cam Newton). Yes, he'll likely get hurt. But they have a back-up QB in Jalen Hurts that is suited to the same type of game. They've made the commitment to Wentz and they going to have to live with it a couple more years or go into cap hell.

They need to ride Wentz until he's so broken he's no longer useful and then move on (likely no more than another season or 2).

I'll rant one more time: running QBs and the NFL are not a good match. Drafting them is Fools Gold. They almost always have short careers that start off strong but then the injuries start to mount up, defenses figure out how best to play that particular running QB, he becomes reluctant to run, and then it's a downward trend. That isn't 100% of course. The Russ Wilson's come along every few years and defy the norm. But that sure isn't the best way to build a team. It's like counting on winning the Lottery to fund your retirement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2020 03:53AM by RockRam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

WTH is going on with Doug Pederson?

Rams43532November 27, 2020 02:27PM

lol

Speed_Kills134November 27, 2020 04:18PM

Re: WTH is going on with Doug Pederson?

Steve184November 28, 2020 03:43AM

Well, it's kind of hard to argue with that.

RockRam109November 28, 2020 03:52AM

another example of 3rd rate journalism

Coy Bacon160November 28, 2020 03:54AM

I agree with you

Speed_Kills288November 28, 2020 06:34AM