Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts November 2, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

November 03, 2020 12:21AM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts November 2, 2020

Head Coach Sean McVay

Head Coach Sean McVay
(On how much yesterday's result changes the feelings of the Bye Week)
"I think right now it changes it a lot, because you've got that disappointing feeling of not accomplishing what we felt like we were supposed to yesterday. It's something that you have to live with and deal with. Unfortunately, you've got to kind of sit on this a little bit longer than what you'd like. But you can't allow it to linger too long. You've got to be able to look at the film today, kind of just be able to take a deep breath and get away and then really be able to look closely at ourselves and make sure that we are making any necessary adjustments for the second half of the season and knowing that we still have everything out in front of us. But yesterday was disappointing for sure."

(On if he gave the team a message going into the Bye Week and if that is different to normal weeks)
"Today was a standard Monday for us, where we look at the film, we address it. The difference is, is the guys will come in, we'll do a little something with them on Wednesday, and then you're mandated to give them off Thursday through Sunday, just based what the standard operating procedures are as far as for a Bye Week, but you want to make sure that we're smart, as far as just handling things, especially with the uptick and some people just getting COVID around the league and understanding what those circumstances can entail if we're not smart about that. Then let's come back refreshed, recharged and ready to go against a great Seattle opponent coming off of this thing."

(On updates to RB Darrell Henderson Jr. and CB Jalen Ramsey and if there were any other injuries from yesterday)
"Yeah, I mean, guys got a little bit banged up. (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) is good. His quad was bothering him. If we were at practice this week, it'd probably be later on in the week until he's able to go. Don't expect it to linger into Seattle, and then (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) was in the building, he's feeling better and that's a positive sign for us."

(On breaking down the first half of the season in all three phases)
"I think defense has been playing at a pretty high level consistently throughout the season. I've been very pleased with them, especially each of the last few weeks. They've definitely played at a really high level. I think we're really getting very comfortable with some of the nuances and the newer things that we're doing, but you're really starting to see some of our players shine and they've done an excellent job. I've been very pleased with them.

“I think offensively it's been up and down. Yesterday, obviously being as frustrating as it is, it was such a weird game where there's a lot of positives on some of the early downs and really what it boiled down to was our inability to be able to consistently handle when they were bringing some of their zero-pressures, like I talked about after the game yesterday and that's what it boiled down to. You give them credit, they did a nice job, but three of our four turnovers came on that and they in essence got 21 of their 28 points off of those turnovers based on the short field where they score a touchdown, one of those drives ends up starting on the 1-yard line and then the other one on the 33 (yard line) which was their longest offensive drive that led to points for the Dolphins offense yesterday, all of which resulted in turnovers from the offense, giving the Dolphins’ offense short fields. We've got to be better. It's something that we'll look at and we'll be able to address moving forward, but that's the beauty of this game – is you've got to be able to address it, you've got to be able to move forward. But I think we've run the football efficiently and then I think there's been some good and some bad. I'd say overall, not consistent enough for the standards that we have.

“I thought (special) teams has been steadily improving and unfortunately, yesterday I thought we took a step in the wrong direction based on how I thought Chicago was by far as I was aware our best performance this season. I thought we covered really well. We knew we were going to have to do the same thing against (Dolphins WR) Jakeem Grant, a really dangerous returner and we didn't do that. It's a great challenge for us to really be able to focus on coming off of the bye, but it's kind of where I see us right now."

(On the kicking situation and if K Kai Forbath is going to be the kicker moving forward or if he will bring K Austin MacGinnis up)
"Obviously it was disappointing to see the result on the one field goal that we attempted to try to cut it to a one-possession game and miss hit that. I do think you want to still demonstrate a little bit of a patience, understanding that one kick – that was big – it didn't help us yesterday, but I think you want to give a guy a chance to continue to compete and evaluate. With that small inventory that we had from yesterday, we'll continue to evaluate both of those guys and (K) Kai (Forbath) will remain in that role right now."

(On what he personally has done well so far and what he would like to do differently)
"I think it always is about just the reflection on every decision and every situation, whether it's how you are as a head coach or how you are specific to calling plays – are you putting guys in situations that success is the number one thing. Are we having answers and are we giving guys clarity with the answers that we have, based on what the defense can activate or based on what our opponent activates and how we stay in alignment with winning the football game as a team. Overall, yesterday, I think the thing that I would say, that I want to make sure that I do a better job of, is continuing, which I think we've done fairly well this season, is recognizing what's the best way and best formula to win those games as a team. In some instances, some of those situations based on some of the checks and things they activated, we left ourselves susceptible to making mistakes that I think enabled them to be able to ultimately win that football game. I think that is on me, but I also think the players have responsibility and being able to execute and handle those situations better, as well. So, everything that we do is always about a collaboration and we're in it together, but that's kind of how I evaluate, But there's a shared responsibility amongst everyone and that's players and coaches alike."

(On any concern of batted balls at the line of scrimmage)
“I mean, certainly you always evaluate that. In a lot of instances, sometimes it's those quicker-element throws, whether you're underneath the center and that rush is a little bit closer to (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) and you know, he's always a taller guy. But you really throw through windows, not over windows. I think that's a combination. Each play, you hear me say it over and over, each play is kind of its own entity. So, there's some that I think we can do a good job of negotiating. Then, there's other instances where you're saying, ‘All right, let's get those guys hands down and create a free lane.’ That’s part of it. It's part of our overall execution. We always want to do a great job in that, but credit to the Dolphins, they did a good job of being able to get their hands up and get their hands on some of those balls.”

(On whether the batted balls are from the defense reading the quarterback’s eyes)
“Yeah, a lot of times, defensive linemen are really coached well, where based on the depth of the quarterback’s drop and how quickly he's ready to set up. If they're not able to work an edge on a guy in front of them immediately, then their next response is how can you affect the play. That's by getting your hands up and getting your hand in some of those throwing windows. Typically, when you're talking about some of those quicker-element pass games, usually they are flat inward breaks where you're kind of negotiating through some of those windows specifically on some of those edge players. I'd say that it's a credit to them doing a nice job. Then we always want to continue to find ways of making it a clean operation, regardless of the depth of the drop and where those routes are typically designed to be completed.”

(On his evaluation of Goff so far this season)
“I think in a lot of instances, he's done some really good stuff. But, some of the tougher plays that we had yesterday were really tough and those are things that we've got to improve on. I think he'll be the first to tell you that he has to be better and he will be. (It’s) just about consistently stacking good decisions, getting guys involved, being able to navigate and negotiate through some difficult situations that inevitably come up when you play that position. That's the most difficult in the world, in my opinion, in sports and everything that that entails. So overall, there's been some good and there's been some things that I expect him to be better with. I think that's a reflection of overall the whole operation offensively. I do expect some of those situations and circumstances, I trust that we'll see growth. I know that his first inkling and response is to look inward and if you have that approach, then I think we can improve moving forward.”

(On how he assesses the remaining schedule with five-of-eight games in the NFC West)
“Yeah, I think it's great. I mean, if you're a competitor, you see some of these teams it's going to be outstanding for us. I think yesterday is a great example of you've got to just be totally in the moment and so many things that you don't expect to happen, happen in this league. If you're not just fully present and handling your business in the moment. Unfortunately, we didn't do a good enough job of that yesterday. That's why we're at 5-3 instead of 6-2. You certainly always give credit to the Dolphins. For us, we know what the last eight games have on the schedule. If you don't take care of that first game of that eight-game stretch, those other games at the back-half of the schedule don't become as relevant or as meaningful. We know what kind of challenge the Seattle Seahawks will bring when they come here and we have a tremendous amount of respect for them and familiarity. We're looking forward to getting an opportunity to compete and go get our sixth (win).”

(On when he began to implement jet motion into the passing game)
“I think it's an accumulation of you’re always looking at yourself and figuring out ways to change the math. I mean, it's 11-on-11, but I think the best teams week in and week out, whether it's offensively or defensively, do a great job of changing up the math and the numbers. In a lot of instances based on the tempo at which that motion hits, you are able to change the leverage and some of the math based on, like you mentioned two-by-two (sets), three-by-one, changing some of the passing strengths and what that forces defenses to adjust to based on what kind of coverage contours they're in on the back end and whether you want to try to use it as an advantage in the run game or in the pass game. It's just kind of been something that's evolved. I know we weren't the first people to ever do it. But it's something that as you're looking and you watch around the league or you just watch football in general, you're saying, does that fit in our system and how we want to really utilize our personnel. It's been something that has been increasingly utilized in our passing game. It's been kind of similar though, where a couple of years ago, we were using it really in both phases, pretty evenly for all those things that you mentioned. But some of the timing of the snap points not exclusive to just right before the quarterback, I think is something that's been a little bit different that we've utilized. Whether you want to run plays to or away from it is something that we try to be cognizant of as well from a self-scout. I think that's something, an increase that you've seen from us, where it's not always just the jet motion and then you're running at the original location of where it came from. We've got runs that are going at it, to it, and you try to just continue to learn about the responses and your targets and all that stuff. It's been a good learning experience. I think something that definitely has helped us when we've activated it.”

(On establishing the timing when using jet motion)
“I think it's practice, then guys understanding. You have to have great athletes like (WR) Robert (Woods) that are able to be able to do that and then become a vertical element in the top-shelf of a three-level throw like that one play that you're talking about was. It's been an evolving thing and you're kind of watching and say, ‘What if we tried this?’ You're collaborating as coaches, you're getting player feedback. It's something that's helped us, but like always, you want to make sure that you're understanding. How do those things stress or elicit the response we want from the defense and certain defensive structures are more effective than others, those are things that we definitely take into consideration week in and week out when we decided to activate it and use that as a tool.”

(On if he looks at the Bye Week as the first and second half of a game and an opportunity to improve)
“I think one of the things that you've heard us talk about before that we try to do is break the season up into quarters. Where you want to have those smaller goals while also keeping the big picture in mind. Really for us, it is just a one game at a time mindset and mentality. But, you know, I did mention, ‘Hey, let's try to finish up the second quarter of the season three and one and get to 6-2.’ Unfortunately, we didn't get that done. We are at 5-3 knowing that we have eight games left. It does provide a nice break in the action, to be able to really step back and evaluate. See where we're at and the things that we need to do a good job of moving forward, in all three phases, to continue to give ourselves a chance to be relevant, compete, and accomplish the goals that we had set out, but wea try to do that every single week. Just the timing of it has been a little bit different than what we're accustomed to. Usually for us, because I look at the Thursday game as kind of a mini bye if you will, each of the last few years, we've had that Thursday game a little bit earlier in our schedule and then the bye a little bit later kind of week 11 or so. I've liked that, but this is the schedule that we've had, and this is the card that we're dealt. But like was asked earlier in this press conference, it would be a lot more enjoyable bye and I’d be in a lot better mood today and kind of be able to feel better about decompressing a little bit, had we taken care of business and gotten to 6-3 rather then having this pit in my stomach at 5-3.”

(On evaluating RB Cam Akers and what he would like to see from Akers the second half of the season)
“I think the injury at Philly really set him back a handful of weeks, where he missed a lot of opportunities that he would've gotten. What I think we've seen, when you go back to Washington, the few carriers that he had, and even a couple of touches yesterday, he’s an extremely dynamic and exciting player that we have a lot of confidence and faith in, that's going to have a really bright future. I just want to continue to see him mature, ascend, and really continue to learn how to compete without the ball – understanding where he fits in protections. When the ball's in his hands it's pretty natural for him. You look at that check down that he caught on the left sideline where he's able to make a couple guys miss. I mean, that right there in and of itself, shows what a dynamic playmaker he is, when he can put his foot in the ground, he seamlessly catches the ball out of the backfield. So, I think he has a really bright future, but I think it's just continuing to detail everything up. (Running Backs Coach) Thomas Brown does a great job with him on that. I think with more opportunities, we want to see more maturity, more improvement. I think particularly without the ball in his hands are the things that we're looking to see and I do have trust that he's going to have a really good second half of the season for us.”

(On if he anticipates making any moves before the trade deadline)
“I don't expect anything in the next day or so. I don't see anything, really, that’s going to be Twitter worthy for you guys (laughs).”

(On if he enjoyed the fans in Miami)
“I think it was great. I think to be able to have some noise – I liked that noise. It was a positive, but unfortunately, the overall feeling and result was not positive. So, that was a disappointing thing, but it was nice to be able to have some fans. I thought it brought a little bit more energy and life to the stadium and that's always a positive thing.”

(On if he is happy with the run-pass balance and what determines which call he makes)
“In a lot of instances, based on the play that we have where we'll call a run a lot of times and then the other play that we have activated based on certain looks could go to a pass. So, you might have the intent to call a run, but in some instances, it ends up being a pass based on the defensive structure. That's pretty consistent with how we operate week in and week out. It just really depends what the defensive looks which sometimes elicit a certain response from us. So, we do talk about that balance. I think ultimately what it's about is the execution and moving the football and scoring points, we have to do more of that. As of late, I think we've done enough, with the exception of yesterday, to be in some good positions. Really overall, I want to see us score more points, be more efficient snap in and snap out. I’m not as concerned about the run-pass balance as I am of the overall offensive efficiency and scoring points. Now with that being said, what I would say, yesterday definitely don't want to leave us susceptible to making some of those mistakes. I think I share in that responsibility, but there's also a level of execution that I think is required that we have to demand of our guys, regardless of the situation. So it goes hand in hand, but that's kind of where I would say we're at with that right now.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts November 2, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

Shaky315November 03, 2020 12:21AM