Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts October 30, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

October 30, 2020 02:36PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts
October 30, 2020

Head Coach Sean McVay

Head Coach Sean McVay

(On injuries)
“(TE) Tyler Higbee will be questionable for the game, but he’s making good progress. It will truly be a game time decision. We will get (DL) A’Shawn Robinson up on the active roster, have not decided whether or not he will be active for the game, just given the way that the week has gone, but if it's not this week then definitely after the bye. We look forward to getting him back rolling with us, because he's going to be a big addition and big boost to our team. But those are the two guys that I'm sure you had questions about. Everything else is kind of a status quo right now.”

(On what has TE Tyler Higbee been able to do in practice)
“He's participated. I’d say limited in terms of – he took part in everything that we did practice wise today, but it's a limited practice anyways on a Friday. So, it's really just being able to gauge, ‘Okay, when we're playing live football, what you have to do with that hand? Are you going to be able to contribute and play at a level that's in alignment with the player he is?’ He's so tough to be able to push through that, but we also want to be smart. So, he's feeling good. He's doing everything to be ready to go in this one and whether he is or not, we will determine that on Sunday before the game.”

(On why DL A’Shawn Robinson was on the football non-injury list)
“I'd like to keep it where we kind of just discussed prior. He's in a good place now, he's feeling good, he's healthy and that's what we're excited about right now.”

(On was it a cardiac issue)
“What I would just say is, with regards to HIPAA and all of the sensitivity around it, I would just prefer – I don't have enough ownership on the actual question and I'm not trying to be disrespectful in the least bit. I just want to make sure I'm not saying something out of place, but it was something in that arena. I'd prefer not to get into the specifics, but fortunately, and it's a blessing, he's feeling good and he's ready to get back to full speed and be a big contributor for the Rams.”

(On what Robinson will bring to the defense)
“He's going to add big time depth to the front. He has versatility across the front, physicality, athleticism. So, he's a guy that can really play all across the interior of your defensive line. He can play in all personnel groupings, not exclusive to base or some of your sub-rush packages and that was what we liked so much about him. That's why he was such a big-time player for the Lions. It's why he was a big-time player coming out of Alabama and why we're excited to add him to the mix with the special group that we already have. So, it'll be a real positive for him.”

(On since bring Robinson to the active roster are there any other decisions they’ve made)
“Actually, we have two spots that are open. We only have 51 on the roster right now. So, he'll make 52 and we'll still continue to carry an open spot that we might end up using on somebody that we activate from IR. And then we can always, with some of the things that occurred this year, we can bring somebody up from our practice squad if we're looking to get a 48th body for our active roster for (special) teams or something like that.”

(On K Kai Forbath acclimating with the team)
“He did a really good job. I thought he was accurate. In the times that we did do field goals, it was basically automatic. It seemed like he seamlessly fit right in. There's a good rapport between (LS) Jake (McQuaide), (P) Johnny (Hekker) and (K) Kai (Forbath). Kai's kicked a lot in this league. Like I've mentioned before, I was with him in Washington and then even just seeing the success that he had last year with the Cowboys. So, this won't be anything new. He has a lot of experience and I'm looking forward to him playing and contributing at a high level this weekend.”

(On the figuring out the timing of bringing Robinson up to the roster)
"Kind of like the way you just put it. That's the glass half full mindset and approach. We're getting him back. We just traded for him. I approach it like that. I like what you just gave me (laughs)."

(On the upcoming trade deadline and if anything will be done)
"Yeah, you guys didn't hear? We traded (DL) Aaron (Donald) (laughs). No. I'm joking. That would never happen and if that happened then I would quit. We're not doing that, I can promise you. So, no. I don't anticipate anything. I think we feel really good about where we're at. Looking forward to getting some guys back healthy after the bye, especially when you look at the (S Jordan) Fuller and (OL Joe) Noteboom, stuff like that, but we are in good shape. Do not anticipate any crazy moves. Unless we have one."

(On how Robinson differs from the other players on the defensive line and if he is more versatile)
"I don't want to say that. I think he's a really high-quality player that has the ability to contribute in both phases. He's heavy, but he's got the quickness to be able to work edges on people. He can go through you. I think he plays well on the run and I think he does a good job in some of the known-passing situations, if he's utilized as an interior rusher. I think what the best way to put it is, it's versatile, it's a complete player and it's a guy that really, we're just excited. You could feel him even in practice, the size, the athleticism, it shows up. We're looking forward to getting him in some of these live-game settings and doing what he's done throughout his career and I think it will be a big boost to us. To say that he's like any one of the guys that we have, I think he'll fit in well with that group."

(On any memories heading back to Miami for Outside Linebackers Coach Chris Shula)
“I got a lot of memories. (Outside Linebackers Coach) Chris (Shula) has been one of my closest friends in life for a long time. I think the immediate connection between us just growing up in football families, we have so many similar life interests and playing together at Miami of Ohio. He's a great coach, great communicator. Going back down here, I mean, there's been some pretty special times that we have spent at his grandfather’s first house. That was really cool for me, just to be able to sit there and listen to his stories. He was such a great storyteller. He's so funny and had just such a great way about himself. We've got a lot of great stories that we can share. none of which would be appropriate on this channel.”

(On how he would summarize his coaching staff)
“Very active, engaging, these guys love it. I think what says everything about what you need to know is (Running Backs Coach) Thomas Brown is out there wheeling and dealing on his one leg, like a true G, he's a stud. It's a great energy that our coaching staff has. I love working with these guys.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts October 30, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

Shaky270October 30, 2020 02:36PM