October 29, 2020 12:19AM
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On what it takes to be successful against Miami)
“They do a great job being able to mix up a variety of looks, coverage principles, front structures that they had a lot to deal with and a very tough thing to prepare for, especially on a short week. They play hard, they play physical, they've got good players, but I think they're a really sound defense. They challenge you at the right spots, but I think the mixture and the versatility that (Miami Head) Coach (Brian) Flores can activate poses a real challenge for you. So, similar to the other night, we’ve got to be efficient in early downs. Got to have a good balance and a good mixture of some different things that we can activate towards them. But it's going to be a great challenge, just like last week was. Expect our guys to be ready to go, but we know this is a great defense.”

(On what it’s been like to watch the Dodgers and Lakers win championships this year)
“It's been awesome. I think just seeing that for the city and the success, I don't know that you're any more motivated to try to kind of be on par with those teams. But you certainly want to make sure that you continue to compete and produce at a high level, because you’ve got to be great to be relevant here in this city. I think that's awesome. Really happy for (Dodgers) Coach (Dave) Roberts and the Dodgers. You know, Dave Roberts is such a special guy, I've gotten to know him over the last couple of years. Somebody that I really look up to and have developed a relationship with. To see the resilience and the character of that team to be able to fight back from being down 3-1 in the previous series and come away with a World Series, is unbelievable and really happy for the Dodgers. 32 years, it's been a while, so really happy for them.”

(On any words of wisdom offered by Dave Roberts)
“I think the best thing that you can gain from these guys is just watching them lead – the stability, the consistency, I think he's so steady. You just watch his demeanor and I think it's reflected in the poise that his team plays with in those crunch-time moments. He’s really big on communication and building and developing relationships. He's a guy that, if you said, ‘What does it look like to see the way Dave Roberts leads?’ The way that I would describe him, you would hope that that's how you would be described as well. That's how much respect I have for him.”

(On the importance of the scout team to emulate a left-handed quarterback)
“I would say it would be very important for our receivers if we had a left-handed QB. Hopefully we'll get a chance to get our hands on some of his throws and go the other way. But, it's not as big of a deal. I think the blindside, just based on the way that you're operating in early downs, is kind of more of a thing of the past as opposed to what it is right now. But because guys have the ability to be able to throw it to the right side, or the left side, they can go field or boundary based on what the coverage contours are. Think it just so happens that he's a lefty. I think more than anything, I was just asked this on the conference call with the Miami media, I think it's more for the receivers for them probably adjusting from a right-handed quarterback to a left-handed quarterback. In years past, we've experimented when you play a left-footed punter to potentially bring a guy in. But with COVID, we've had to resort to the jugs when we played some of those left footed punters, like we have this year with Dallas and Washington. Not going to be anything too different, I think (QB John) Wofford will do a good job trying to emulate (Miami Qcool smiley Tua (Tagovailoa) this week.”

(On whether the Dodgers and Lakers success adds pressure to the Rams this season)
“No, I think really amongst the team it's, ‘Hey, let's continue to produce and do our part to hold up our end of the bargain for the city.’ But nothing like that. That pressure's a good thing. I think all 32 teams want to be able to do what the Dodgers just did in their sport. So, we're no different, but we’ve got to get to (win) number six first.”

(On preparing for a quarterback making his first professional start)
“Well, I think like anything, whether it's a quarterback's first start or just a quarterback in general – I think you want to try to get them into a rhythm and make sure you identify what is he most comfortable with and make sure a lot of your play calls are reflective of that. I think it's just about establishing a rapport between (Miami Offensive Coordinator) Coach (Chan) Gailey and Tua, which I'm sure they've done, so that you don't surprise them with anything. Everything, it starts with the quarterback. That's the first thing when you start with anything as an offense, if you're not thinking about the quarterback first, that's at least what we do. I'm not saying it's the best thing, everything starts with that position. I learned that from my grandfather, going back to (Former 49ers Head) Coach (Bill) Walsh. It's the most difficult position in all sports and our job is to try to alleviate as much pressure and stress off of that spot as possible. That's why everything we do starts there and I think most people and most coaches would probably tell you that's the case. The closest thing I can remember is when I was in Washington, I wasn’t the play-caller then, I was just a tight ends coach. But when we had (QB Robert) Griffin (III) when he started his first time against New Orleans. I thought (49ers Head Coach) Kyle (Shanahan) did an excellent job of catering our offensive philosophy that year, specifically to what we felt Robert did best. I think that's what good coaches do.”

(On whether he’s a fan of baseball or basketball)
“I was by nature, of just kind of growing up in Atlanta, I rooted for the Braves. Then basketball, I was obsessed with Michael Jordan. My mom used to tell me before I was, I don't remember this, but when she take me to the shoe store, she would just tell the people, ‘Only bring out the Jordan’s because he won't wear anything else.’ I was just obsessed. I remember, I couldn't wait until those Sports Illustrateds, Michael Jordan, Come Fly With Me or AirTime would come. Something about him, I just remembered, I just loved Michael Jordan. So, I was always a huge Bulls fan growing up. I was actually at that game that they referenced in The Last Dance, his last year when they had 65,000 people at the Georgia Dome. You know you're a bad man when they usually played at, it was like Phillips Arena or the Omni, I can't remember what it was called back then, but they moved the venue for the visiting team so that 70,000 people could come see it. That’s how you know Michael Jordan is a bad, bad man.”

(On whether he would root for the Dodgers or the Braves when they played this postseason)
“I'm rooting for the Dodgers. Hey, my loyalty for Atlanta is gone now that I'm here. My loyalty’s with Dave Roberts, I'm a Dodgers fan through and through now. So, sorry Braves.”

(On a status update of TE Tyler Higbee)
“It's difficult today, because it was just a walk-thru. So, he took part in the walk-thru, but it's more of an above-the-neck exercise. So, seeing how he feels tomorrow, I'll have a better answer for you in terms of if he's able to go. It’s such a weird deal because it's really, all right, when you wake up, how does it feel? How much can you really apply pressure, especially at that tight end spot. So, it's not like you can really put a cast on it because he still needs it from a functionality standpoint, in terms of catching the football. I’ll have the better answer for you tomorrow. I know that doesn't really do you much help, but because today was so limited, I don't really have any further updates other than he said, ‘Hey, I'm feeling good’, but what does that mean in terms of his status for Sunday? I think it's still up in the air.”

(On whether it was a contusion or sprain in Higbee’s hand)
“It’s a contusion. It's not really in an isolated area, it's kind of all over. If you can imagine, Tyler Higbee is one of the toughest players I've ever been around, but you get a certain touch on the right spot and it just rings throughout your whole hand and it’s throbbing. I can imagine it's pretty painful. I know because he doesn't say anything and he plays through him about as much as anybody. I know it’s bothering him pretty good right now.”

Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley
(On preparing for a first-year quarterback Tua Tagovailoa)
“Well, I have a lot of respect for (Dolphins Qcool smiley Tua (Tagovailoa). I know a lot of his coaches at Alabama. I am very familiar with some of the coaches there and have good relationships with them. I know the type of respect that he earned at a place like that. You know, it's difficult to become a leader at a place like that, full of future NFL players. Certainly with (Alabama Head) Coach (Nick) Saban there, I just know that he's had as much of an impact on that place as anybody probably has since Coach Saban has taken that job. So, I know what a good player this guy is. I know the type of impact he had offensively at that place, where they really became an offensive team when he was there. His ability to distribute the ball and really be the point guard of that offense, I know that this guy was as good as it gets at the college level. You have to take into consideration how he won the job over one of the most decorated players in college history in the last 10-to-15 years in (Eagles Qcool smiley Jalen Hurts, who is an outstanding player. So for him to be able to ascend to that position, this guy's made up of a lot of the right stuff. Certainly stylistically, he fits what (Offensive Coordinator) Chan (Gailey) and that offensive staff is trying to accomplish. A lot will be made of his first opportunity, but they wouldn't be putting him out there if they didn't feel like he was ready.”

(On if playing dime against the Eagles was just a one-off situation or did he like the personnel groupings against the Bears)
“We just feel like the match-ups certainly are a big part of every game. In that game I felt like Chicago had pretty good skill players when you factor in their tight ends – both 85 (TE Cole Kmet) and 80 (TE Jimmy Graham) sort of play like receivers. Then with 84 (WR Cordarrelle Patterson) being the running back that was in the game most of the time in passing downs, we felt like that was a big factor. We feel like those six defensive backs that we have are really good players, they're really versatile players. We can do a lot of different things with those six guys. We can kind of mix and match and play the way we want to play. So, I thought it fit really well in that last game and felt like it gave us an edge.”

(On what has allowed the defense to apply more pressure)
“I think first and second down. Monday night we were outstanding on first and second down against the run game and against the quick-passing game. We knew that's a big component to (Bears QB Nick) Foles’ success. You know, he has one of the quickest snap-to-throws in the NFL. So, we knew that on early downs we were going to have to contest passes in the quick passing game. Then we were going to have to get off to a really good start in the run front. I thought we were physical. I thought we established the line of scrimmage. I thought we tackled extremely well. What that did was, it set us up for second-and-long, third-and-long. Then when we were able to get the lead in that second half now, we're able to sort of dictate the pace of the game, that’s always an advantage defensively. I thought so much of rushing the passer is getting into a rhythm, just like a jump shooter. You have to get into a rhythm sometimes and I felt like our guys really established a nice rhythm in that second half. You were able to see guys really get after the passer. That's certainly the way you hope to be able to play in a game like that.”

(On does he think DL Aaron Donald is a contender for Defensive Player of the Year)
“I do. I see him playing as good as anybody in the NFL. I think that he does so much to help us win in the run game, in the pass game, the way we can move him around. He's not a guy that just lines up in one spot, he can line up all over the formation. The thing about a guy like him that I think unique is he has all the individual production, but then you have to factor in the production that he creates for other players, too. I think that's really the definition of an MVP – when you are to be the most valuable player your value extends far beyond just yourself, it's how you affect others. Then the intangible part of his game is about being a leader and establishing the way that you come to work as a professional every day, there's no one that embodies competitive excellence more than (DL) Aaron Donald. So, absolutely I feel like he’s worthy of that award.”

(On what are the challenges of preparing for Tagovailoa with his lack of film and is there anything he can learn about Tagovailoa from his former college teammate OLB Terrell Lewis)
“Well, I think one of the advantages of playing against a quarterback like that is if you're thorough in the draft process when we're evaluating all these defensive players in the draft. As you guys know the SEC is as good of a conference as there is in college football, I think that you become aware of some of the offensive players in the draft. (WR) Van Jefferson being a good example, you're watching all these SEC secondary players and then your eyes kind of gravitate towards who is a really good player on offense. And so, Van Jefferson is the guy that you can say, ‘Hey, (Head Coach) Sean (McVay), you know, this guy can really separate now. I mean, like this guy's going up against some really good players.’ I feel like I've been able to get a strong sense of Tua as a player because you're watching all these defensive players. Alabama was one of the first films that you're going to watch if you're watching a player from the SEC or somebody like that. So, I think that you get a good sense of their play style and what their strengths are and things of that nature. But you're still defending the offensive of the Miami Dolphins, you're still defending 10 other people and they still have an offense to defend full of weapons. Certainly, as I mentioned before, they wouldn't be putting Tua out there if they didn't feel like he really fit how they're playing now. It's not like they're just going to create a new offense in a week for him. He fits the style of play that they want and so we certainly have an inventory over this first stretch of the season. Then you kind of go back on what you know about them in college and then you put your plans together. As for (OLcool smiley Terrell Lewis, I will reserve comment on his Mel Kipper-type scouting report for his former teammate. I'm sure there's a lot of bias that way. So we may not be asking him too many questions, we’ll keep him focused on playing outside linebacker for the Rams.”

(On his assessment of DL A’Shawn Robinson)
“I see a focused player. A guy that’s trying really hard to get back, quickly. I think that his wind, that play shape that you guys often hear about, that's real. When you put pads on, there's a difference between kind of doing workouts in shorts and then getting all your gear on. I think that's a different type of shape and I think that's what we're trying to make sure – that this guy's ready to play. I think there's a difference between him being cleared and then him being ready to go out there and be his best or close to it. So, we're just making sure that he's at that point from a physical standpoint, from a mental standpoint, where he can go out there and perform to the best of his ability because we would never want to do that with a player. But we certainly feel like he's getting closer and we're just going to see how it goes this week, but certainly excited about his progress.”

(On does he have to prepare protections defiantly because Tagovailoa is a left-handed quarterback)
“There is a little bit of a difference there in terms of some of the movement-passing game because, you know, people tend to want to move to their throwing hand, there's certainly an element to that. Then are they going to become more of a left-formation team because he's a left-handed passer. When the balls in the middle of the field, there’s certainly elements to that, but I think as to everything else, it’s probably going to be the same. I think that early on we'll get a sense of that. I think those are probably the specific areas where it could be different in the movement passing game. Then sometimes when the balls in the middle of the field, maybe more left formation than right formation. So those are things that we'll take look at closely and adjust as we go.”

(On is he going to change anything to keep Tagovailoa in the pocket)
“I mean anytime a guy has mobility like that – it's certainly different than the quarterback we were facing last week. Your edges have to be more secure, because I think one of the strengths of Tua is his ability to create and then throw accurately down the field. I know that was something that stood out to me watching him in college. He really plays the game like a point guard – he can keep his eyes down the field and throw the ball accurately. So our edges will have to be secure within the pocket and make sure our rush plan is secure and sound and that we stay connected in coverage, because you're going to have some downs where you have to defend longer in the down with him. So, certainly those are elements that we'll be emphasizing this week.”

(On what the picture is of the safety position right now)
"Well, it's a position that we're really fortunate to have some depth there. As you know, it's been a challenge these last couple of weeks with (S) Jordan (Fuller) and (S) Terrell's (Burgess) injury. First off, I want to state how well Terrell Burgess was playing for us. I think this guy has proven that he belongs in the NFL. Unfortunately, it's part of the game, but he was having a great game the other night before he got hurt. We're just wishing him a lot of prayers and well wishes. You know, this is a beginning for him now and it's a tough side of the NFL, but we know that he's going to be back better than ever. And then, Fuller, we're excited to get him back here in a few weeks – he's progressing well. I think he's feeling more and more confident in where he's at physically, so we look to get him back in due time. The other night, (S) Nick Scott stepped in and played really good football. I think from the minute I got here, personally, he's known more for special teams, but I think he's done a really good job developing as a safety and I thought that you saw that development on display on Monday night. And so, he brings us some physicality and some range back there and then we've got some young guys – (S) Juju Hughes, who has done a very good job since the minute he got here – he knows our defense, he's operated well, he's playing well on special teams, he'll be a guy that we look at. Then (S) J.R. Reed, who we got a couple of weeks ago, has done a nice job learning our defense and gives us some size, range. He was a three-year starter at Georgia and a team captain there. So, we're kind of excited about those guys and finding out about them, because that's part of the NFL. That's why we develop these guys and train them the way we do, so that when things like this happen, we're ready for those changes, because that's the NFL. (S) Taylor Rapp has been playing very, very well. He had a really good game the other night. I think he's really settling in, getting comfortable within the defense, I thought he tackled well, I thought he showed good range. Obviously, the play in the end zone on (Ccool smiley Troy Hill's tremendous coverage play, to come down with the football and that interception, I think Taylor's playing really quality football for us."

(On rotating players in the secondary and getting them ready for the games)
"Yeah, I think I've talked to you guys a little bit about the way we teach. I think we feel like it's one of our winning edges, is the way we prepare and train these guys. When we install a defense, we install a concept where they're not just learning their position, they're learning the entirety of the concept. So, they would know corner, safety, star, money and that's why you're able to play the way we play. Now it's tougher on the players, because they're responsible for more, but I think it opens their eyes and then this cumulative effect sets in where they're learning a lot of football. When you understand how the other pieces are working within a play, I think it helps you perform your job better. And then when things like this happen, where you have injuries, you're able to truly put another guy in, because he knows it extremely well, and you can truly get your best combination of players on the field and I think that that's very important. You don't want to just put the next guy in, you want to put your best guys in, and that's something that we take pride in. (Cornerbacks Coach) Aubrey Pleasant, (Safeties Coach Ejiro Evero) EJ Evero and (Defensive Quality Control Coach) Jonathan Cooley, our secondary coaches, that's why we do it the way we do it. That's why we've played so many defensive backs and have been able to do it successfully, is because of the way we teach and the way we meet and the way we train them. So, when Nick came in the game, he had an inventory of reps from training camp and during all these practices. He may have not have played in the games, but he's gotten a lot of quality practice reps, a lot of walk-thru reps since the minute training camp started. He was able to fall back on those reps and perform extremely well and it's a credit to our coaching staff and the other defensive backs around him, because what you're trying to do, is you're creating a brotherhood of accountability, where those guys are really holding themselves to a high standard of understanding football at a high level. And what that does is, when these dynamic situations occur, we're able to thrive and play our best and I thought Nick was outstanding the other night."

(On finding out the best ways to use LB Justin Hollins)
"I love this guy. I was fortunate to coach him last year. When he came available, I just knew that he would fit a role for us that we really needed and I think that's what he's doing. He's playing all the right roles for us right now. He can play in any of the packages and play in them well. He's versatile. He can rush the passer. He's good against the run. He can excel in coverage, kind of like (OLcool smiley Leonard (Floyd) does and provides us some of that same stuff that Leonard does. So, (Lcool smiley Justin (Hollins) is an important part. He really understands our defense and then he's got the athleticism. He's 6-5, 250lbs, he can run, and he gives you that athleticism that you really need in today's NFL. We’re certainly glad that we have him. I thought he played well the other night."

QB Jared Goff
(On if the team talks about the Dodgers and Lakers winning titles in the locker room)
"Absolutely. It's something that's really exciting for the city right now. It'd be good to make that a little three-peat with us involved there. It's definitely something that we're conscious of, absolutely."

(On if this group has the potential to go to the Super Bowl)
"Of course. We've got all the pieces. We're winning games. We are playing well, on offense, defense, special teams. We always believe in ourselves and we've been there once with a lot of the same people. We know how to get there. We've just got to finish it off and hopefully this is the year."

(On his debut and the team and situation he started his career with)
"Yeah, it was tough. Actually, it's funny he's starting against us, because I started against Miami in my first game, there are some parallels there. It's always different for everybody. I think my situation is a lot different than his. For me, a lot of learning, a lot of figuring it out, a lot of obviously pains and going through some tough times, but I wish him the best. I hope he comes out and plays well, but he's young and going to learn a lot through his career."

(On how he felt he played personally against the Bears on Monday)
"I thought there was some good and bad. Yeah. I thought it was both. Some throws that we needed to make, and some throws I wish I could have back. Absolutely. But with the way their defense was playing, I was just trying to take care of the ball and get us a win and ultimately that's the goal."

(On if he had friends reach out to him to say there is pressure on for the Rams to make a three-peat for Los Angeles)
"Yeah. Well, I mean, that's the first thing you hear is, alright now it's your turn. We've talked as a team about, because these two teams have done it, these two guys have done it, or rather I shouldn't say as a team, but as a group chat within the team, these two teams have done it and now it's our turn. It's something that we'd like to do. Yeah. But asking me about the Super Bowl in Week 8, it's a little early. We've got some games to win and we're very focused on Miami right now."

(On what he remembers about his first NFL start against Miami)
"I remember it was raining. It was a weird rainy day for L.A. I obviously, you know, I would hate to watch it now. I mean, it would be probably pretty cringe-worthy to watch it now, as far as, how far I feel like I've come, but a lot of stuff going on in that game. I was excited. My parents were there, my whole family was there, and a lot of people are very excited. I remember we actually played decently on offense. It wasn't our best game of the year, but it wasn't our worst and had a chance to win and ultimately didn't. It was a fun day to be out there and to get my career started, but don't really want to watch that film any time soon."

(On what he thought was cringe-worthy about his first game)
"I don't know. I mean the whole game. I don't know. Did I throw any picks? I can't even remember, but it was a loss and I think we scored 13 points, I think we lost 14-13, but yeah. It was the kickoff to my career. A day I'll never forget, absolutely."

(On if he is friends with any of the players on the Dodgers or Lakers)
"Yeah."

(On if he texts them about winning championships)
"Yeah. I texted Cody (Bellinger) and Joc (Pederson) and Cody actually texted me back and like you guys had said, 'It's your turn now.' and I said, 'Absolutely'. So, it's exciting. I mean, I grew up in the Bay area, so I do have that little still in me, but it's exciting for the city of L.A. and I'm so happy for those guys to finally get it done. We'd love for it to be our turn, again, it's Week 8 and you guys keep asking me about the Super Bowl, but we got a lot of work to do."

(On his library project with Inglewood)
"Yeah. Well, it's part of the whole initiative with Inglewood Unified and a lot of stuff that I've been doing. We were able to raise enough money to do the library for Warren Lane Elementary School. They're a school that was almost canceled from the district based on the enrolling they had there and so being able to uplift them a little bit and be kind of behind them and kind of build that school back up and hopefully get some more kids enrolled there. The library was just the first thing on the list of many needs for them and I'm happy to do it. It's really exciting. It's something that, I've never been so passionate about something off the field like this. It's a lot of fun for me and I enjoy doing it."

(On reading to the kids and what about books in general has sparked his passion for it)
"I think it all starts at the educational level and that's kind of the whole mission here, is to start young and really build kids up that need it from the educational level. I think just exposing them to, I guess in better words, if I was a kid and I saw the quarterback of my local team reading to me, I'd think, 'Okay, reading might be pretty cool,' and I think that's kind of the message, is to try to get them more excited about it."

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 28, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley, and QB Jared Goff

Shaky359October 29, 2020 12:19AM