Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Robert Woods not bothered by decreased targets: ‘Whatever it takes to win’...

October 22, 2020 08:24AM
Robert Woods not bothered by decreased targets: 'Whatever it takes to win'

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

In the first six games of last season, Jared Goff threw 246 passes, an average of 41 per game. So far this year, he only has 190 attempts – 31.7 per game. That’s almost 10 fewer passes he’s throwing per week, which also means 10 fewer targets to go around for the wide receivers, tight ends and running backs.

Robert Woods’ targets are down from 51 in the first six games last season to 41 this year, which is almost two fewer per game. It may not seem like much, but at this current rate, he’ll only be targeted 109 times, which would be 30 fewer than he had a season ago and his lowest total since 2017.

The Rams offense is playing better now than it was in 2019, which is part of the reason Woods isn’t bothered by his decreased targets. He’s willing to do whatever it takes to help his team win, even if that means a heavier dose of the running game.

“Whatever it takes to win,” Woods told reporters on Wednesday. “I obviously want the ball in my hands to find ways to make plays, to get it done in the air, but that’s just how it’s been working out. First quarter so far, really just trying to keep it going, and hopefully the ball finds me the rest of the season.

“Obviously want to be involved in the pass game, but not thinking of it. It’s still early on in the season. A lot of games left, a lot of games to be played, a lot of passes to be caught.”

Where Woods’ usage has increased is on the ground. He already has 10 carries this season, which is only 10 fewer than he had all of last year. He’s turned those 10 carries into 76 yards and a touchdown, so he’s still getting involved in that phase of the game, too.

But with more difficult opponents coming up and the Rams unlikely to hold big leads like they have in several games this season, Woods’ opportunities could grow significantly. He’s an integral part of the offense and there’s no question Goff and Sean McVay want the ball in his hands.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Robert Woods not bothered by decreased targets: ‘Whatever it takes to win’...

Rams4395October 22, 2020 08:24AM