Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 8, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell and DL Aaron Donald.

October 08, 2020 03:42PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
October 8, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell and DL Aaron Donald.
Head Coach Sean McVay

(On if OLB Terrell Lewis will practice today)
“Not yet. Before you guys ask for practice, (ILcool smiley Micah (Kiser) and (OL) Bobby Evans will be the only guys that don't participate today.”

(On how RB Cam Akers is looking)
“(RB Cam) Akers is looking good. Unless he has a setback, he'll be ready to play this week.”

(On if he is hopeful that Kiser will play this week against Washington)
“I think hopeful is a good word. It's one of those deals where Micah is so tough, he'll play and he'll push through anything. So, it's more along the lines of, ‘Let's take it a day at a time, let's evaluate and see how he progresses each day with just some of these soft tissues.’ It's more of just monitoring the groin than anything else at this point.”

(On if they will monitor the groin more than the peck)
“They're both something that he got banged up, but if he were to miss, it would be more as a result of the groin limitations.”

(On if ILB Troy Reeder would be the guy to go in place of Kiser if he can’t play)
“He would, yes.”

(On if the team has been discussing the upcoming election at all and if so if they are light-hearted or more serious talks)
“I would say this, before some of the dialogue that's come up really over the last few months, that's been something that you really haven't discussed. But, I think with the prevalence on really just understanding some of the heightened sensitivity on the racial issues, the injustice, along with those conversations has come some of this stuff with relation to politics. I always want to make sure that I'm listening. We want to encourage guys to be able to have their voice heard. I know (WR) Robert’s (Woods) been an advocate of getting guys involved in and being able to vote and push some of the things that you feel strongly about. But that's not something that we talk about other than outside, other than within those parameters. But as far as anything outside of that, not so much.”

(On why the team has not taken many deep shots down the field and if it is related to personnel or situational moments)
“When you look at it, we ended up hitting (WR) Van (Jefferson) on a long ball in the first game, Dallas (Cowboys) was playing some different things. It's really a week to week thing based on some of the coverage contours that we're getting. We’ve called some of those shots, it's just a matter of whether we've thrown them or not. We had some opportunities in the Buffalo (Bills) game, even in the game the other day. But there's definitely some guys that are pushing, that are going down the field, and it's really not any different than what it's been in years past.”

(On what has contributed to QB Jared Goff’s hot start to the season)
“I would say, he's just playing really well. He's seeing the field and I can't say enough about just the way guys are playing around him, but then I'd also continue to give a lot of credit to (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin (O’Connell) and (Assistant Quarterbacks Coach) Liam (Coen) and the work they do with that quarterback room.”
(On how Washington not being as strong defending the run in comparison to the pass and how that may contribute to a Rams advantage)
“I don't necessarily get too caught up in the statistics. I kind of just really, we just watch the film and I see a team that plays hard. Each of their four games, there's a little bit different flavor that some of these offenses have brought to them, and you kind of see how they want to defend it. So, I see good personnel, I see a sound system, guys that play hard and physical on all three levels. And so, it's going to be a great challenge. We always want to be able to try to run the football efficiently. But like I've said to you guys before, it's more about moving the ball and scoring points, whether we're running it or throwing it. And in a lot of instances, some of the things that we see defensively dictates that.”

(On how the team categorizes an ‘explosive play’ internally, and if the team factors in ‘yards after catch’ as a subset this statistical category)
“As far as just the results, when you're targeting it, what’s result of the play? Whether it's a plus 30-yard gain and the ball travels five yards or 30 yards. So that's the same to us. We are aware of some of the different things. I know with all the different increases in technology and being able to see where targets are, where the ball is being thrown, we're very cognizant of that and want to make sure that we make the defense defend the width and depth of the field, especially in the pass game.”

(On has he heard anything from the league regarding last week’s incident involving CB Jalen Ramsey)
“No.”

(On if anything has been ruled out as a result of the incident)
“I haven't heard anything on that front. I haven’t heard anything.”

(On if Ramsey will be punished by the team)
“No.”

(On what role his time in Washington played into his development as a head coach)
“It's always about the people and there are so many people that I spent time with in Washington that were instrumental. There's no chance I'd be sitting right here if it weren't for the great experiences. Talk about being able to work under (Former Washington Head Coach) Mike (Shanahan) and (49ers Head Coach) Kyle Shanahan, (Jaguars Offensive Coordinator) Jay Gruden, (Former Washington President) Bruce Allen. (Washington Owner) Mr. (Dan) Snyder was outstanding to me. I couldn't be more grateful for the time that I had there. I had so many great coaches that I worked with, that I learned from. So many great players. So, I mean, without that experience, there's no chance I'm sitting right here, the foundation of everything that I really learned as a coach and the people that were so instrumental in helping shape me as a coach. The majority of my coaching experience was in Washington. I coached one year for the Bucs, then one year in the United Football League and then I was with the Redskins up until I got here - excuse me, the Washington Football Team, up until I got here. And so, you know, everything that took place before there is a result of the people, the experiences you have, both good and bad, but the people that I came in contact with and that really put their arm around me and helped me grow, whether it be coaches, players, people from the organization, I had a wonderful experience there. What's strange is we have more people now here that I worked with in Washington than are still remaining. So, it's not necessarily a homecoming for the handful of us that used to work there.”

(On if he seen anything different from DL Morgan Fox this year)
“I think just being healthier. I think another year removed from that ACL. He’s always been really productive and maximized his opportunities. I think you're seeing more twitch. He’s stronger, he’s sturdier when he’s playing inside. But, his position flex across the front has been a really big boost for us. He's been extremely productive. He's gotten to the quarterback. He's played tough against the run. I think (Defensive Line) Coach (Eric) Henderson is such a really good coach and he helps develop guys. You can see (DL Morgan) Fox's development and his growth and maturity as a player, I think as a result of his hard work, being another year removed from that ACL, and then also, you know, Coach Henderson being special.”

Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell

(On any nostalgic feelings about going back to Washington)
“I don't know if it's absolutely like that. I have moved quite a bit, so I've got some experience with that over the years. I still have a lot of great relationships within the building. I mean, even some of the players on the team, it'll just be great to see some of those guys pregame. But obviously, we're going into it just like any other game on our schedule. You're going with a purpose, try to go win a football game. There's definitely some people both on and off the field that it will be great to say a quick hello to.”

(On his relationship with QB Alex Smith and if he played against him in high school)
“We did actually in a seven-on-seven tournament. We're very, very close, I think he's just over a year older than me. Both of our birthdays, I think are in May. I think (Qcool smiley Alex (Smith) is, I know mine is. But, I have so much respect for Alex Smith, both as a person and a player. One of my great experiences coaching in this league was getting a chance to coach Alex when he came to us there in 2018. Obviously, it's been very well documented about the injury that took place and that was really hard for me being pretty close with him at the time. Just kind of watching him go through that, wanting to be there for him every step of the way. I just have so much respect for just how he's attacked coming back from not only that injury, but how he's approached his role on that football team. Both this season and in previous, just staying around and understanding his role as a leader. It's really second-to-none as far as his impact on a building and on a team. It cannot be mentioned enough how strongly I feel about Alex and he's one of those guys I'll be looking forward to seeing him this weekend.”

(On what it was like to coach Alex Smith)
“He's very, very smart. He's got a great way about him, where the football conversations are high level, but you never feel like he's talking down or demeaning in any way. He's got so much respect for his teammates and his coaches, but at the same time, as a coach or a teammate, it's very easy to replicate that respect you have for him, duplicate it just because of the way he operates on a daily basis. His experiences over his career, how he's able to apply those things to not only help you become a better coach and a better teammate, I’m sure, but to help your football team win games. He does it in a lot of different ways, both on and off the field. He's a really, really special person and player.”

(On the possibility of Alex Smith playing following his injury)
“Just knowing where he's come from and just how the hard work and just the sacrifice and work that he's put into to get back to this point, I'm just so happy that he's on an NFL roster and has the ability to play football again. I know it's something that from day one after the injury he always wanted to do. Like I said, he's an inspiration to me and he always will be as a guy that I was able to coach and have a relationship with and hopefully that lasts a long time.”

(On what it takes to win close games)
“First and foremost, you have to practice as many situations, replicate those situations in practice. Throughout training camp, I thought we did a great job across the board making sure that we always have a purpose and a plan every day in training camp. But then within that, how detailed and specific can you get about practicing the end of game, end of half, those close-game situations that really a play here or there. Or how you handle those situations with the clock or maybe the expectations of a drive and the decision-making process for both sides of the ball. How aggressive you want to be, how smart, how safe you want to be, that perfect balance comes and the comfort in those situations come by trying to stress these guys in practice in those situations. I think (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay and (Pass Game Coordinator) Shane Waldron does a ton of that work for us. It's been by far the best I've ever been around as far as preparing the team for those situations. I think when they come up in the game, I know I felt that there's a level of calm and poise amongst the group that you feel because of that work we were able to put in.”

(On any struggles to come up with a big play in the game)
“I think it can be frustrating at times. I mean, our group is so resilient. We always have a mentality on our sideline like we're going to be one play, one drive away from getting into a rhythm and kind of kick-starting things. So, it's almost like, more so than anything, the Giants did a really good job last week of, although they weren't able to turn a lot of those longer drives into touchdowns, they were able to control the clock. If we weren't able to capitalize on a possession, there was a few minutes ticking off the clock before we were able to get back on the field. So, that was, more you looked up and all of a sudden it was halftime. Then, you're regrouping before you come out. But, a team's abilities to kind of control the clock and kind of take the air out of the ball a little bit is something that we've got to find a way to not let happen as a football team. But, also as an offense, to be consistent and make sure we're keeping our success on the early downs, which only leads to us being in those third-and-manageable situations, where we can be in those earn first-down mentalities and activate everything we want to do offensively. It works both ways for us as an offense, but we’ve got to be willing to be the group that makes the play that kind of gets us going. I felt like the guys, (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) and (WR) Cooper (Kupp) and offensive line, when we decided to pick up the pace a little bit the other day and obviously the receivers making plays, Cooper, making that huge play in the passing game, we were able to break through there and get a big score.”

(On the communication style on the sidelines and to the field)
“There's really a strong line of communication always between Sean and myself. Just how the game's going. I'd like to a lot of times be that voice in between on game day for Sean and Jared allows me to kind of have a good communication pattern with both those guys. But, at the same time, one thing I've noticed is during the game, both Jared and Sean, their communication with one another, the rhythm of the game, kind of what's coming up next, maybe adjustments that need to be made. Just how smooth that process has been, Coach McVay has a tremendous poise about him. Tremendous calm during the game, despite calling plays and obviously making all of our decisions as the head coach, he's got a lot going on, but he can still stay very poised. I think that kind of carries over to our whole team, but especially the quarterback and Jared’s kind of got that personality. He's not easily kind of shook up at all during games. He continues to keep that kind of smooth mindset to where it's just that next play, that next drive mentality. I think our entire offense kind of feeds off that.”

(On what has made Goff successful)
“I really think it's across the board. It's a lot of things. I mean, when we first talked in the spring, it was about every phase of his game trying to get small percentages better. He's done a lot of really good things over the course of his first three years as a starter to really take inventory of all of that and kind of pinpoint some things – maybe fundamentally, maybe from a decision-making standpoint, maybe within a game within NFL pockets, how do we make the most of every opportunity that we get in a 60-minute football game and then, things off the field. Leadership, some of the things he's done away from the field to improve himself, physically, mentally, all those things. I think a lot goes into it. That's what we're here for and I want to give him all the credit in the world because he's done a great job and he's had a real kind of present mindset to have some goals to attack each and every day. He's still in that process right now as part of his routine, getting ready for a football game on Sunday.”

(On any lack of taking deep shots on offense)
“It's so hard in the rhythm of a game. Those plays are out there sometimes and other times, just within the rhythm of the sequence of how our offense is rolling at the time. Some more completion-mindset plays could come up or were established in other facets of our offense. I don’t know if four games is a big enough sample size to really determine whether it's this or that. I just know we're always going do what's best for our offense and our football team and from a quarterback standpoint, making great decisions with the ball. I think Jared has been really, really good about being smart about putting the ball in play, throwing completions. He's been really accurate. As the season progresses, I'm sure those plays will present themselves. But, it's never anything you want to press or try to force because normally when you do that, the defense is in this league can take advantage of that and bad things can happen.”

(On the challenges facing Washington)
“I think first and foremost, you see that defensive front. I know a lot of the nucleus of that group with (Washington DL) Jonathan Allen and (Washington DL) Daron Payne and (Washington DL) Matt Ioannidis who's hurt, who's a really, really good player. Then you look at obviously (Washington DE Ryan) Kerrigan and (Washington DE) Ryan Anderson and (Washington DE Montez) Sweat. Then, they obviously had the second pick in the draft who’s been as dynamic as any young player in our league this year when you watch him on tape, So, that front and their ability to do affect the game at the line of scrimmage is absolutely there. They've got some real savvy athletic linebackers on the second level. Then, obviously (Washington S) Landon Collins is one of the better safeties in the game, as far as impacting both the run and the pass game. They've got a lot of good cover players – good skillsets to really put both play man and zone. Obviously, (Washington S Troy) Apke on the back end with a ton of range. Having been around those guys and seen them in practice a lot over the last three years, you just have so much respect for them. You know they work hard, you know they're going to be incredibly prepared for us offensively. So, it's going to be a challenge to go out to Washington and get a win.”

(On whether the Giants dictated personnel groupings with more tight end sets last week)
“I think it's a little of both. You always want to have some versatility in your personnel groupings, and we have the luxury of having three guys up, four guys up, on game day in the tight end room where you feel great about. Everybody knows the versatility within our running back room. Then, just how the game is going to go from a flow standpoint, as well as the challenge that certain defenses. The Giants had a big, strong front and it made sense at times to maybe add some bigger bodies in ourselves to try to win some of those ups at the line of scrimmage. But, it's always a week-to-week, drive-to-drive mentality for us where we can activate different things from a personnel grouping standpoint that may be a dictated to how we want to move the ball.”

(On any favorite memories of Qualcomm Stadium given the plans to tear it down)
“I mean, obviously a lot of games there as a player at San Diego State and was able to go back there a few times on NFL rosters to be a part of some great games there. I think back on, even before that though, you know, I used to go to (San Diego) Padre games there and watch Tony Gwynn play, when I was young and to Charger games all the time with my dad. I still remember the section we sat in and watched Junior Seau play and Rodney Harrison and these guys. Just a lot of me growing up. I have some very, very great memories, both as a fan and then obviously getting to play there and be lucky enough to play there in college, then in the NFL. That place will always have a special place in my heart. Knowing what they're going to be doing to that site from a standpoint of the growth of San Diego State University, for all of us alumni, both former players and just the, the large alumni in California, I think everybody's got to be excited to have a stadium of their own. That's going to be sure exciting to watch get over the next couple years, that thing get built up. I'm just excited. Those guys get to play some football games coming up as well, I think here in about another month or so.”

DL Aaron Donald

(On if politics are spoken about in the locker room)

"I wouldn't say we talk about it, but we definitely echo. I know today ‘Brock’ (DL Michael Brockers) asked me, did I vote yet? So, guys are just echoing that. I wouldn't say we sit there and talk about it, but we definitely echo that we know that we've got to get out there and vote and guys need to go vote. We are making sure that guys are doing that."

(On Head Coach Sean McVay's passion for the game of football)

"He always tries to tell jokes and it always relates back to football. Everything he talks about always somehow circles back to talking about football."

(On recalling any of Coach McVay's jokes)

"No, I don't know exactly what joke, but I don't think it was funny (laughs)."

(On DL Morgan Fox)

"I always knew that (DL Morgan) Fox had the ability to do what he's been doing. He's a great pass rusher, he stopping the run, he's confident, he's always asking questions, trying to get himself better. I know what type of potential he's got and what he can do, for him to be out there and actually get to play and show you guys what he can do and the production he can bring to the field and help us. I expected that from Fox. That's what I expect from him. I know he's going to continue to do it. I'm just more happy that he gets to show the world what he's about and y'all get to see the plays he's making and abilities he has."

(On if Fox has done anything different)

"He's just healthy. He's fresh. He's keeping himself where he needs to be, as far as his strength and his weight and everything. So, when you tend to do good things, man, you tend to play free, play confident and you have success and its been showing."

(On what skills you need to be able rotate in the defensive line)

"You just need to know what you got to do. If you asked me, I would say it's a little bit more rules you've got to do when you're on the outside than the inside. You ain't got as much freedom as you do on the outside, but it's still the same stuff, man. As long as you're able to know what you've got to do, know your scheme, know your technique, you can play and play at a high level.

(On getting more double teams this year and how he can get one-on-one situations up front)

"It'll come. Guys like Fox, as long as they keep making plays, I'm happy. As long as somebody is making a play, we're getting the job done. So, eventually I will get more opportunities, because they've got to start paying attention to other guys. I'm going to just keep playing ball and when plays present themselves to me, I've just got to take advantage of it."

(On stopping Washington's running backs)

"It's the same thing every week – we've got to play solid run, we've got to be gap sound, guys have got to swarm to the ball. We can't miss tackles. If we do that. we do what we've been game planning and preparing for, we'll be fine."

(On closing out games close games)

"Well guys have got to make plays. I feel like you've got to make some type of big time, game changing play to help. There are multiple guys that can do that each week. Every single week there's been someone different, I feel like, that has been popping up, making that big play to help us close the game. So, as long as we keep doing that, guys keeping themselves fresh, keeping themselves ready, playing hard, good things will come out of that."

(On the start of the season feeling different to last year)

"I feel that way 100 percent. I just feel like if you watch the film, the games from last year to this year, it's just different. The way we playing, the way we playing together, the way we are finishing games, the energy is different, the feel is different. It's definitely a whole different feel than the 3-1 team we had last year."

(On CB Jalen Ramsey's postgame situation)

"No, I didn't see it, but that's last week. We ain't worried about last week. We are worried about playing Washington and what we've got to do this week, trying to find a way to win a game."

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 8, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell and DL Aaron Donald.

Shaky331October 08, 2020 03:42PM