Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

waiting to snap the ball until the last instant

October 08, 2020 10:35AM
I find it an irritating distraction that the Rams often wait until the last instant to snap the ball. I realize that there are advantages to waiting in order to change the play and/or read the defense, but it seems that there could also be a downside. It must be taxing for players to remain frozen in their stances for such a long time. The defense can tee off on the blitz knowing exactly when the ball will be snapped. There is a chance of a delay of game penalty or having to use a timeout. If the play is changed in the last few seconds, there could be a penalty if a player doesn't get set in time. This approach allows defenses time to rest and get ready for the next play, and it seems that it would interfere with the flow of the offense when it started mounting a drive. There was a game within the past few years when the Rams needed to save time while behind in the second half, but they just kept allowing time to bleed off the clock between plays when they had the ball. I don't know how much merit (if any) these factors might have, but it is annoying as a fan to see this happen so often.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

waiting to snap the ball until the last instant

L.A.Rams372October 08, 2020 10:35AM

Maybe Goff..

sstrams312October 08, 2020 10:41AM

Are we sure the defense can see the play clock?

Ram_Ruler204October 08, 2020 11:19AM

Re: Personally, Rams play much better in a hurry up offense...

oldschoolramfan225October 08, 2020 12:22PM

Re: Personally, Rams play much better in a hurry up offense...

SoCalRAMatic207October 09, 2020 09:55AM