September 25, 2020 10:01AM
Van Jefferson: Jalen Ramsey is 'one of the best teammates I've had'

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

There may not be two players who have excited Rams fans more this year than rookie Van Jefferson and star corner Jalen Ramsey. Jefferson has exceeded expectations as a second-round pick, quickly ascending up the depth chart as a viable option for Jared Goff at wide receiver.

Ramsey has been as good as advertised in two games thus far, allowing zero catches on two targets against the Eagles on Sunday.

The two have quickly built a good relationship with the Rams, which began the day Jefferson was drafted by L.A. Ramsey texted him that night, opening the door for the rookie to bounce questions off of him.

That continued into training camp, where Ramsey was like a coach on the field for Jefferson, telling him how he can improve as a route runner. That hasn’t gone unappreciated by Jefferson, who called Ramsey one of the best teammates he’s had.

“He’s been very helpful. He texted me when I got drafted and I knew he’s the best corner in the NFL, so I knew going up against him every day in practice is only going to get me better,” Jefferson said Thursday. “Him reaching out and him coming to me during practice, telling me what I need to get better at, that means a lot to me because he doesn’t have to do that,” Jefferson said. “I think he’s one of the best teammates I’ve had. Even though he’s a big-money guy, he’s still talking to me and making sure I can be better at things, stuff I can do, just saying different things I can do to get open against other corners. He’s been very helpful and every amount of knowledge I can get from him I’m going to take.”

The phrase iron sharpens iron very much applies to the Rams, with Ramsey not only helping develop Jefferson, but also giving Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp a challenge in practice. Ramsey has a ton of respect for Jefferson, too, despite him only being a rookie.

“He’s not just going to be good, I think he’s going to be a great player in the NFL,” Ramsey said, via the Los Angeles Times.

With Ramsey under contract for another five years, and Jefferson on his rookie deal through 2023, the two will be matching up a lot in practice for years to come.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Van Jefferson: Jalen Ramsey is ‘one of the best teammates I’ve had’.

Rams43419September 25, 2020 10:01AM

Fun Fact: Ramsey is 21 months older than Jefferson

Suh-weet!257September 25, 2020 10:18AM

yeah VJ is old for a rookie

ferragamo79219September 25, 2020 10:20AM

Re: yeah VJ is old for a rookie

EastBayRam271September 25, 2020 11:35AM