Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 21, 2020

September 22, 2020 12:16AM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 21, 2020
(Opening Statement)
“Okay, give you guys a little injury update to start out. So, first off (Rcool smiley Malcolm Brown, he had a fracture in his pinky. He had a fracture in his pinky, so he actually had that fixed today. It's not going affect his availability for the Buffalo game. We'll be able to put a splint on there and he should be okay with that. With (OL) Joe Noteboom, he strained his calf pretty good. It was a grade-two strain. So, he's definitely going to be out for the Buffalo game. He’s a possible candidate to put on the IR (injured reserve) with it being three weeks, but we're going to wait to get a little bit more information. He’ll be out this week. That's where he feel really good about the depth of your O-line and what a great job (OL) David Edwards did stepping in yesterday. (Rcool smiley Cam Akers separated some rib cartilage. He should be okay. But it was pretty painful in that area. We're going to monitor him day-to-day and then (Ccool smiley Darious Williams did a great job yesterday, but he’s had little bit of tendonitis in that Achilles. We’ll probably rest him on Wednesday but expect him to compete and be ready to roll this weekend and practice on Thursday and Friday. Just giving him an extra day of rest. So, everybody else, your typical bumps and bruises, but those are the guys that we have some updates on.”

(On the effect of utilizing the running backs in the passing game)
“I mean, it's big. I think the ability to be efficient on those early downs keeps us in third-and-manageables. I think that's been a result of why we've been a little bit better on third downs. But we've talked about it a lot, we want to be able to use all five eligibles. Fortunately, all of our backs have those skills to be able to contribute not only as runners, but also as pass catchers. That’s a positive thing for us. We want to make them defend everybody, use those guys to our advantage and when we're able to stay ahead of the chains and be in efficient down in distances, that kind of opens everything up. So, a long way to go. But, I think the first two weeks have been reflective of some things that we've wanted to focus on and being able to get a bunch of carries off is good because it means you're able to control some of the possession as well, which I think has been good for our team.”

(On the reason for the pivot to utilize the running backs in the passing game)
“I think the pivot is you’ve got to really study yourself and be honest with some of the things that we didn't do a good enough job. I think that's clearly one of the things that I didn't do a good enough job with, is getting those guys involved in the past game. There’s really nowhere else to look, but I've got to do a better job and that's something that we focused on as a staff and really those backs aren't limited in anything that they can do. You can get them involved in the screens, they can catch your check-downs. I mean, you see (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson (Jr.) catch a rail route on third-and-nine yesterday makes a great catch over his shoulder. I think it's just the more that you can present that defenses have to prepare for the better that, we'll have a chance to kind of make it more difficult on them.”

(On whether his description of Akers’ injury implies he will be able to play on Sunday)
“That’s true. I feel like it's better than a fractured rib because it's not really the bone. There's your cartilage in your ribs and then there's the actual bone of your ribs and so I sound pretty technical right now, but he took a good shot there. He’s a tough kid. When you say like the fracture of cartilage that typically doesn't resonate. So, figured separated cartilage would be a little bit more mild way of explaining it, but clearly that wasn't how it was received. So, I missed the boat on that one. It is something that will be day-to-day. He'll be able to monitor that and there is a chance that he's going to play for sure.”

(On whether RB Malcolm Brown fractured his left hand or right hand)
“His left. His left one.”

(On whether he feels fortunate to not have been subjected to the amount of injuries shared across the league in Week 2 and if he attributes any of them to no preseason)
“I’m not really sure on that, because some of those injuries that occur are ones that whether you end up having a bunch of work or you don’t, just can’t be prevented. I just hate that for our game. You see some of these great players that go down and you never want to see that. I do feel fortunate that we've been able to stay relatively healthy or haven't had anything significant, like you see the (49ers DE Nick) Bosas and the (Giants Rcool smiley Saquons (Barkley). Our game is great because of players like them. So, you never want to see that. I've always hated that part of the game because so much work goes in and it can so quickly be taken away from you, your season can be missed. That's the thing that you hate the most. But I do feel fortunate to answer your original question. We're going to continue to try to do everything in our power to control what we can as far as staying as healthy as possible. So far, so good.”

(On what it meant to get an extension done for WR Robert Woods)
“Yeah, it was big. I mean, he's one of the pillars of our program. You look at when we first got here in 2017 as a coaching staff and (OL Andrew) Whitworth and (WR) Robert (Woods) ended up being your first free agent signings. You talk about two guys that are reflective of everything you want to embody in addition to already having guys like (DL) Aaron (Donald), (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff), and (DL) (Michael) Brockers in place. So, that was really important for us. I just think, you guys know from covering him for a long time, I mean, this is a special guy and the way that he does stuff with the ball, without – I think just seeing his improvement. His energy and his toughness, I think it's so good for our football team. When you just think about what a great guy he is off the field, but then the toughness that he plays with and you just pull clips and you just say, ‘Look at what Robert Woods is doing.’ I can't say enough about just him and some of these guys and what they represent, you know, (WR) Cooper (Kupp) as well. I feel really fortunate and I was happy for Robert and that he ended up getting that extension. That's well-deserved for sure.”

(On how the team is getting deals done despite the salary cap) 
“Elongated over the course of the deal so that it's not 175 million or whatever the cap will be next year. So, a couple of years from now, we'll see how it works out and maybe I'll be sitting on the other end talking to the coach that's sitting in my shoes if we're in big trouble (laughs).”

(On what went into the decision to move CB Troy Hill to cover the inside slot position and the importance of his versatility) 
“It's really big. That's such an important part. I look at that as the equivalent to our slot receiver offensively, and we ask so much of our star position. (Ccool smiley Troy (Hill) is a guy that has the versatility to play inside, play outside, but I think you guys are starting to see the instincts, the ball skills, the toughness, a lot of the same things that made (Eagles Cornerback) Nickell Robey(-Coleman) such a good nickel for us for the previous few years is why Troy has translated and really transitioned into that spot so seamlessly. We're doing a couple things differently schematically that do stress that position and I think Troy has done an outstanding job. He's only going to get better, but when you look at all the nuances that we're asking of him and how he's played over the first couple of weeks, it's definitely been a good move. I really credit (Cornerbacks Coach) Aubrey (Pleasant), ‘E’ (Safeties Coach Ejiro Evero) and those guys are doing an excellent job with our secondary.”

(On the health of S Taylor Rapp) 
“He is healthy. We have to just continue to find ways to get him on the grass because he's such a good player. I think you see (S) Jordan Fuller played better than he did in Week 1. (S) John Johnson (III) is playing outstanding, and so those guys have done a really nice job. (S) Taylor (Rapp) is still going to continue to make an impression and he's going to make a big impact on this team. Exactly what that looks like week in and week out, I think is to be determined.”

(On what he has seen from ILB Micah Kiser and ILB Kenny Young and the entire linebacker group over the first two games)
“Both those guys did a great job. I think (ILcool smiley Micah (Kiser) has really built on a good Week 1 performance, played with toughness. He had a bunch of tackles. He was in on that first forced fumble on the third play of the game. You can see he and (DT Michael) Brockers really attacking at it. (ILcool smiley Kenny (Young) ends up recovering it. Micah’s command, his toughness, both these players when they arrive at the point of contact, you feel them. I think there's a second level of physicality that our defense has from those two in particular, where you're making teams earn every yard. I thought our defense did a great job against…it was a good game plan where the ball was coming out. But you talk about two tight ends that have had as much production as anybody, when you look at what (Eagles TE Zach) Ertz and (Eagles TE Dallas) Goedert have done. For those guys to have 72 yards, I believe combined, I think is a real credit to what we did on the second level and the third level. But those two in particular did a really nice job. (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers) Joe Barry's done great with them and expect them to continue to improve as they just gain experience, which we know is so valuable for those younger players.”

(On how he originally identified WR Robert Woods as a player he wanted on his team and how he projected the contributions he would make both on the field and from a leadership standpoint)
“Really my first exposure to (WR) Robert Woods was when I was coaching the tight ends in Washington, studying (TE) Jordan Cameron coming out and really being impressed with him. And I’d say, I keep wondering, ‘Who the heck is this true freshman receiver that is balling on the tape?’ So, I've kind of always kept my eye out for him. Then you watch when he gets drafted to Buffalo and I've just always respected his game. I thought he does such a great job, he runs with such a great body lean. He makes every route look the same. You see him as a runner when the ball is in his hands. He just has a seamless ability to work edges on people. I bet he'd be a great running back if we put him at that spot. His toughness to compete – I didn't know he was as tough as he is. You see the film and he puts good stuff on tape. But to say that I knew that he was as special as he is probably wouldn't be accurate. He's delivered in a big way and just what he represents for our football team and the consistent makeup and the mental toughness, all the things. He's checking all the boxes and we're very thankful for Robert.”

(On OL David Edwards stepping in for OL Joe Noteboom and his thoughts on the offensive line as a whole doing well in the run game and limiting sacks)
“They really have. They've done an excellent job. What I thought was so good. You look back to some of the tough times that we experienced last year, but (OL) David (Edwards) got so much experience. And even though he wasn't starting at the beginning of the season, I think his ability to approach practice the right way, where he was intentional about getting better, had a mindset and a mentality focused on that every single day. I thought that enabled him to seamlessly step in, played 29 snaps, did a really good job. You see even on his first snap when we ended up running, we ended up hitting (WR) Cooper Kupp on a crossing route for about 21 yards. Just the way that he jumps right in, great pass protection technique, did a great job on the 40-yard run that (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson Jr. had to really spring it with a front side combination, with he and (OL) Austin Blyth. So, he will step in. I think his experience that he gained last year was invaluable. I've been really pleased with our group as a whole. You hope (OL) Joe (Noteboom) is able to recover quickly, but I think (Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach) Aaron Kromer and (Assistant Offensive Line Coach) Andy Dickerson and (Offensive Quality Control Coach) Zak Kromer, they've done such a good job of really developing those guys. You look at the depth we have on that group. When you do have injuries, typically you're feeling really bad about it, but because of the depth that we have, David was able to seamlessly step in and I didn't think we missed a beat yesterday.”

(On expanding on his previous comments on RB Darrell Henderson Jr. gaining specific opportunities in the game against the Eagles)
"I think the way he practiced. I think this really represented the first full week, this past week did, of being healthy where he was pushing through. He wanted to play so bad against Dallas that I don't think he was really going to tell us, 'Hey, I'm not feeling totally ready, totally able to really trust in it and open up,' and I thought this past week's practice was reflective of him really trusting it. He was really focused on the details and you can see, he's always been a great guy that has the skill-set that we're looking for, in terms of, the versatility. He's really grounded as a runner and for a slasher, he's a physical runner. I think when you look at his two-yard touchdown, what a great run, where he's just really breaking a bunch of tackles, but then he's got the speed to make the plays down the field on the long catch for the 40-yard run. It was just, kind of, a feeling and (Running Backs) Coach (Thomas) Brown had echoed the same thing and I have so much trust in him that it was one of those deals where you were excited about getting him involved. Even if you go back to some of the last significant touches he had last year and his first action against the 49ers, you kind of just feel him, where he's got a burst and he's got an explosion that's exciting. Then he's thick enough in his lower half and he's got enough mass that he's really a finisher when he gets going, he's falling forward. So, I think that was just kind of just being projected on the good week of practice that he had and the confidence we have in him as a player when he's healthy."

(On CB Troy Hill's specific traits for moving him to play inside)
"I think it's just the instincts and the awareness, because a lot of times when you're working on a guy, he's got a two-way go, those lateral agilities that Troy possesses, and then, we'll ask them to be involved. When you're closer to the box, you have to get involved in some of the tackles, you're part of the fit, based on the coverage structure that we're playing, and I think just his toughness. You see him making some tackles in space, but he's just got a good feel for negotiating traffic and being able to pick and choose his spot and come up with a body part and all those things are really some of the traits that you look for and he's definitely got all those."

(On the secondary playing at a faster pace and if that is because of the players)
"I think it's exactly what you said. I think it's number one – the players, and then – I really am just so impressed with our defensive coaching staff. The clarity, the ability to put in a game plan, their communication throughout both of these first two games. I think it's really an awesome reflection of the collaboration of the unit, and when these guys know what we're asking them to do, what the intent of the defensive coverage call or whatever it is that we're trying to get done, they're able to play faster. There's a lot of instances too, where a lot of the plays that were run yesterday, were the exact ones that we had repped in practice. I think that gives confidence to the importance of the preparation, how that practice performance can equal game reality if you're really focused on the right things. I think it's a true reflection of the importance of coaches and players being connected, being on the same page and ultimately those are the guys that are getting it done during the games, but I think it really is a really cool reflection of the coaches and the players working in unison and you see it show up yesterday, especially against a really tough outfit in the Eagles."

(On if it's an accomplishment to play that fast considering this year’s offseason and the defensive scheme that the Rams utilize)
"I think it is, and like I said, I think it's just such a good reflection of the unit and that's coaches and players alike. There are two teams that have given up less than 20 points each of the first two weeks – it's the Rams and the Ravens. What I tell those guys is, 'I'm not surprised, but you don't take it for granted,' and I think that's what you see day-in-and-day-out. We know that there's a long season. Let's see if we can take it to a Buffalo offense that's been playing really good through these first couple of weeks and a quarterback who is red hot."

(On how much of an influence CB Jalen Ramsey has on making opportunities for other guys to make plays such as CBs Troy Hill and Darious Williams)
"Yeah, I think he does. In a lot of instances when you're going against an elite corner and you say if you’ve got to, kind of, pick a side plays or you feel like you have a feel on where he's going to be, you're going to say, 'Let's not decide to just go at (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) unnecessarily,' but then to his credit, he's really tapped in when their targets have come his way. It does lead to some more opportunities when you've got a player like that, but I think those guys made those plays. You look at that pick. What a pick by (Ccool smiley Troy Hill. I thought that was really the play of the game, (Ccool smiley Darious' (Williams) interception, just for the momentum and the feel of the game when it's 21-16, they're driving, they had just got a first down, that's a first-down interception. (Eagles QB Carson) Wentz is ready to drive the ball in, kind of, a double move type post. That thing was humming, and you could see even (S Jordan) Fuller had a great break where he was going to make it a bang, bang, play if Darious doesn't undercut it, but those two plays were huge. I think they are going to get a little bit more opportunities and I think you saw that even reflected as soon as we got Jalen last year with the amount of work that Darious and Troy both got just playing opposite of Jalen and how teams typically would say, 'We're not going to go at Jalen, unless we feel like the look is really good,' and based on how he's playing, there's not a whole lot of those."

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky499September 22, 2020 12:16AM

Clearly, McVay is a huge Staley fan...

Rams43223September 22, 2020 06:07AM