Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Eagles Head Coach Doug Pederson – Media Availability – September 16, 2020

September 16, 2020 01:28PM
TRANSCRIPT: Eagles Head Coach Doug Pederson – Media Availability –
September 16, 2020

(On the first road trip, what challenges it presented for the Eagles and how they handled it)
"It's something that we thought and planned pretty hard for, being able to take our bubble, so to speak, on the road to open the season. Really looking back on it there, it really came off really well for us, from how we traveled. Obviously, it was a quick trip for us down to D.C., but how we traveled, at the hotel, being able to stay socially distant, wearing our mask, doing all the things we're asked to do through protocol, it just felt like everything really was handled well. We were able to cut down on our travel party, that was probably the one thing, just not having a few, and maybe call them necessities, but just having a few more extra people there to help and assist was probably the biggest thing we had to overcome."

(On if crossing the country will be a harder challenge)
"I've done it both, I've done it from West coast to East and the thing from West coast to East coast is you just lose the three hours, right? When you go East to West, you kind of gain those three when you head out, but your body clocks are a little screwed up. You are changing three time zones with whichever way you go and so it's just a matter of preparing yourself during the week. I talk to my guys a lot about hydration and how long flights can dehydrate players and coaches and making sure nutrition and hydration during the week, prior to the long trip. But, the biggest thing for me, is making sure our guys continue and stay on what their body clocks are on and of course that for us would be east coast time if we came out west, and that's what we've done in the past. So, it's a bit of a challenge, probably a little bit more for a West Coast team traveling east, just because of the three-hour difference can affect a little bit more."

(On characterizing QB Jared Goff and QB Carson Wentz' careers coming from the same draft class)
"Well, first of all, both quarterbacks have had a lot of success with their teams. Obviously, (Rams Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) was the one that took the Rams to the Super Bowl a couple of seasons ago and (Eagles Qcool smiley Carson (Wentz) had an MVP type season that year we went. And so, there's some similarities there and like I said, both quarterbacks have had a lot of success, both quarterbacks are in two different style of offenses and they do things very well in both of their respective offenses. Carson for us is just continuing to get better. He continues to grow and learn and understands the game. I mean, both guys are relatively young, five years in, but they've played a lot of ball. So, things are probably a little more familiar for each quarterback. In our case with Carson, just being in our system and understanding what we're doing, and he has a lot of input with what we're doing. They've both done well. It's been unfortunate that with Carson, with his injury history, not being able to finish a couple of those years, but for the most part, they've both had success."

(On if the match up of QB's matters to Wentz)
"I think every match up matters for both guys and maybe the first year or second year when both quarterbacks are young, but now that we're into year five, I think it's a matter of just playing football and helping your team win. So, I don't put a lot of emphasis on that, from the quarterback standpoint. Again, both guys have played each other now and it's just a matter of just execution and then playing to win."

(On summing up the Eagles game on Sunday)
"You didn't miss anything. It was basically 30 minutes. We played great, you know, for 30 minutes and then played as about as bad as you could play for the remaining 30 minutes and it was just a tale of two halves. Three turnovers, really five, if you count the two turnovers on downs offensively. The 80 sacks is disappointing and something you can't do. Then defensively in the second half, not being able to get off the field like we did in the first half, so really it was just a tale of two halves. A disappointing way to start the season when there were a lot of high expectations going in to, not only that game, but to start the year."

(On evaluating the Rams offensively and defensively)
"Well, offensively they’re still high powered, still a lot of speed, a lot of tempo offense, not only from the huddle, but at the line of scrimmage. Quarterback movement, motion shifts, things that they've been real successful at. Goff is obviously, a high completion percentage guy and it's been successful for them. Defensively, bviously, new scheme, but the players are the same. A little different in the back end, but for the most part, same guys we've seen and played against and it's just a new scheme that they play well. I mean, they played well against Dallas. These guys are flying around. Obviously, there's a great player in (DL) Aaron Donald, he is a game wrecker and he gains a lot of respect, not only from each opponent, but from around the league. This team is well coached, well disciplined, and it takes a full 60-minute game to compete with them."

(On how to prepare his running backs for pass protecting)
"You've just got to continue to talk with the with the running backs, that way. You have to get them in the frame of mind starting today on Wednesday, as you prepare for practice, and then continue that conversation on Thursday, Friday and get ready for the game, because they know it's going to be a physical game. They know that, there's going to be times when we ask them to help in protection and kind of sacrifice the route to gain the added protection and they know that. And then, when you have the chance to run the football, it's a physical defense and they're going to take a pounding. But it starts early in the week and there's just that mental preparation with those players."

(On not having a preseason and how that impacted the game and McVay’s comment on missed tackles)
"I would echo that comment. Missed tackles, game speed, as opposed to practice speed, you know, guys just anticipating the speed of the game. You just can't simulate that in practice and without having preseason games, and sometimes just execution too. Just executing your scheme, offense, defense and special teams, because as coaches, we didn't get a chance to evaluate, evaluate players and also your scheme. That's what I think, obviously, every team missed, was that and talking about your players, having preseason games to evaluate your young guys was something that you go into your first game with some of the unknowns and now you're continuing to coach. Now that they have a game under their belt, they understand exactly what you're talking about."

(On what attracted him to CB Nickell Robey-Coleman and how he has fit in so far)
"He's a great kid, great player. A lot of energy, comes in a small package, but he plays big. I've had a lot of respect for him and his game over the years, watching him and kind of watching him from afar. Obviously having played against him, when he was, I didn't play against him – obviously we coached against him when he was with the Rams – and just somebody that for us, our secondary changed in the off season and we lost some players and needed help at that nickel spot. He was a guy that came available and I love having him. He's been a leader on the team. He works hard, he's diligent and he's made that unit just a little bit better."

(On how his players dealt with the game day environment)
"Yeah, that's one thing that I addressed the team a lot through training camp and quite frankly, the state of Pennsylvania and, obviously, the District of Columbia in Washington, not having fans right now, we miss our fans, but at the same time we have to create our own energy. These players do feed off of that environment and when it's not there, they have to feed off of each other and motivate each other and it's different. It's a different feel to start games, to play in these games. You can hear everything that goes on from a communication standpoint standing there on the sideline. We're in a different time right now and it's unfortunate. We all miss our fans and hopefully one day we can get ours back, but we just have to make the necessary adjustments and prepare accordingly."

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Eagles Head Coach Doug Pederson – Media Availability – September 16, 2020

Shaky335September 16, 2020 01:28PM