Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay, DC Brandon Staley, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - September 7, 2020

September 10, 2020 12:26AM
TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay, DC Brandon Staley, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - September 7, 2020

Head Coach Sean McVay

(On if it feels good to have CB Jalen Ramsey’s contract done)
“Yeah. I’m Really happy for (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) and his family and you know well earned contract. So, definitely glad. I know it was something that he was glad to get out of the way as well.”

(On if he is happy that the contract for Ramsey is done)
Yeah. I'm very happy. I'm happy for Jalen and I'm happy for our football team. I think for him to be able to get that taken care of, you don't have any sort of distractions in the background. So, that's definitely a positive for us.

(On if he can provide an update for OLB Terrell Lewis)
“We had to do a procedure on him that we were worried that he had an infection from some previous stuff that he had had surgeries on that knee in years past. Potentially thought it could be something worse. Fortunately, it came back where he's okay. There wasn’t an infection in there, but we will place him on NFI (Non-Football Injury list). He had some atrophy for the procedure that we had to do to go in there and do just some of the tests and things like that, that's why there's just so many different layers to it. But fortunately, we thought it could potentially be some worse stuff. It came back okay, but he did have some atrophy from the procedure that was done. He’ll end up being on NFI for the next couple of weeks. We’ll see how long that is, but that's how we ended up getting that spot for (Rcool smiley Raymond, Calais.”

(Clarification on if Lewis is on the reserve list or the active list)
“Just NFI list, Non Football Injury and it'll be on the reserve.”

(On how long ago he had the procedure)
“He got it probably about a week and a half ago, but we've been waiting on the results of the pathology and all that stuff. So, that's why it's taken me so long. And there was, there's a lot of stuff that I probably wouldn't be appropriate to articulate in an in all fairness to (OLcool smiley Terrell (Lewis), but it was a good thing for us that, it's as positive as it could be, given the circumstances.”

(Clarification on if Lewis will be out for the first 6 weeks)
“Yeah”

(On if Calais is going to be able to get up to speed to be able to play)
“He just got here this morning. So, he had a good look in his eye in the walk-thru, if that gives you an answer.”

(On what he sees from Ramsey behind the scenes and what he means to the team moving forward)
“I think going back to even when he first got here, just the way that he practiced, the reception to coaching, especially from (Cornerbacks) Coach (Aubrey) Pleasant and just how he led from afar. Being able to get guys together this offseason, taking ownership of a bunch of different things – understanding the big picture of the defense. Then when we got to camp, the way that he consistently was competing, playing well challenging guys. You even hear him coaching up some of our receivers as far as giving them tips and things that they can do to kind of make it more difficult on him from his vantage point. So, he's done a great job and obviously the production, the person – a the more I get to know him, like I've said to you guys, the more I appreciate him. He's extremely intelligent, aware of everything that's going on, knows the game. And obviously he loves his little girls too.

(On an update for RB Darrell Henderson Jr. and if he is still optimistic about him being able to play)
“I am. He’s out there. He just took part in the walk-thru, was able to practice a little bit the other day. And we are optimistic about him being able to play this week.”

(On if he will adjust practice for learning due to it being a night game)
“I won't, because we're still practicing somewhat in those afternoons, so it is somewhere close. Hey, we've changed the schedule around so much that I want to try to at least get into some regularity for our players to try to establish a rhythm and a routine. It was something that I definitely thought about but felt like the most important thing was let's get them on a schedule. Let's get our normal Wednesday through Friday, or really Wednesday through Saturday rhythm and routine established. And that's what we'll do.”

(On if he is optimistic that a deal will get done for WR Cooper Kupp before the start of the season)
“Yeah, I mean, that's the hope. We'll see where that goes. I haven't had a chance to kind of get filled in on what's the latest there, been getting ready for these guys, but that is the hope.”

(On if he has noticed the ability of QB Jared Goff moving on from his mistakes pretty quickly)
“Oh yeah, it's a great trait. I think he definitely does that. You obviously want to try to avoid those mistakes, but the best thing that you can do is learn from it and move on. I think so often in sports, you let a thing occur and it can really accumulate and build up on you if you're not careful and all you can control is what's next. I think he's always had that kind of natural, even-keeled demeanor and disposition that has enabled him to seamlessly move on, whether it be good plays or bad plays. That's a great trait for a quarterback because I think in a lot of instances that personality, that demeanor ends up kind of translating, or really the rest of the offense takes on that demeanor.”

(On if it helps to go into a game with coaches knowing how they communicate and knowing their rhythm or if he’s comfortable with going into a game with new coaches, specifically defensive coordinator)
“I think we've got a good rapport already. I mean, it's definitely ideal to be able to go through real games in a preseason and get a feel for that. But, I'm very confident in what he'll do, his ability to communicate and collaborate with our defensive staff. Then if there's anything that needs to be talked about amongst one another, I feel really good about where we’re at there.”

(On if he’s named team captains to start the season)
“We have. Yeah. The players voted on it. The team captains were on defense, (DL) Aaron (Donald), (DL Michael) Brockers, (S) John Johnson (III). On offense, (OL Andrew) Whitworth, (QB Jared) Goff, (WR Robert) Woods and (WR Cooper) Kupp and (P) Johnny Hekker for special teams. Those were the eight captains.”

(On key things he will alert the defense about going into Week 1 against Dallas)
“Well, I'll tell you on Sunday. You know what, I think it's a collaboration you know. (Cowboys Head) Coach (Mike) McCarthy's been so successful in this league for such a long period of time. (Offensive Coordinator Kellen (Moore) did a great job. And my understanding is it's a collaboration of both those. So, we've got a lot of film to be able to evaluate some things that we think based on their personnel that they would maybe want to do, but especially coming off where you have zero inventory, I think it's going to be as important as anything – clear, clear communication amongst each other, all 11 on defense great tackling, great urgency to the football and really understanding exactly what we want to get done based on which personnel groupings they activate. Because they've got a lot of different playmakers and they do a great job using them.

(On what he appreciates about Ramsey’s craft)
“Well, I think it's just the ability to lock in every single snap. I think there's a competitive endurance that certain people have – to not take snaps off, and the great ones that I've been around, that's what they do. Because especially when you're in a situation where in a lot of instances, if you are that kind of elite player, you don't get a lot of action, but when you do get that action, you want to make sure you maximize those opportunities. I've seen him been able to tap in, snap in and snap out. And that to me, whether it's, you're talking about a corner or any position, that to me is one of the consistent things that I see amongst greats that I've been around. Aaron’s the same way.”

(On if the game plan changes when you’re going up against an elite cornerback)
“I think it depends on how he's activated. Certain guys play on the side of the field. Certain guys will travel and play star coverage. So, in a lot of instances you would avoid him, but you know, it might be okay, he's playing on the right side of the field or he's playing into the short field or he's playing star coverage on who they deem as the most dangerous threat, or in some instances you look at what New England does. They usually end up saying, ‘All right, who do we see as the second-best threat, we'll put our best corner on him and then we'll double their best threat.’ So, it does affect it, but in a lot of instances it's dictated on, all right, how has that player truly be an activated, but all these considered you prefer to stay away from those elite corners.”

(On what opportunities Cam Akers will get on his debut in primetime)
“I think you're mindful of just rookies being ready to go. And that it's a different level of speed, but the best parts about all of our rookies is I don't get the sense at all that the game is too big for them. That's why we liked them. These guys have a great way about themselves and we'll certainly count on him, but like we've talked about, I have a lot of confidence in really our running back room as a whole, (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) will get his opportunities as well, (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) and hopefully Darrell as well.”

(On if he’s noticed Goff getting in shape and getting a nutritionist over the summer)
“No. I'm just kidding (laughs). I haven't seen him with his shirt off. So, I'd be able to tell you if I saw him with his shirt off. I think he's feeling good. He's playing good football. So, that's the most important thing. Whether he looks better or not without his shirt off. I think (Goff’s girlfriend) Christen (Harper) cares about that more than me.”

Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley

(On his level of excitement for this game)
"Yeah, really excited. Certainly, an opportunity of a lifetime, but that's the way I felt four years ago at John Carroll. I felt like that was an opportunity of a lifetime. So, just fortunate to be a part of the Rams. I love coaching here. I love our coaching staff. I love our players. I love this organization and we're certainly excited to get the season started."

(On how to prepare for a quarterback, like Dak Prescott, who can run)
"Well, this guy's a competitor, he's a winner. I think you guys are aware of his standing amongst his draft class and he's got more wins than anybody in that class, which is a highly regarded class. I think he's a competitor. I think he has all the qualities that successful quarterbacks have. He's mentally and physically tough. He's very physical for the position. He has a strong arm. He can create offense when there isn't any offense to be had and really tough in the, ‘Got to have it situations’ – third down, red area, two minute. He thrives in those situations and he's been a very, very, very good quarterback in this league for many years."

(On CB Jalen Ramsey's contract extension and what he's learned from Ramsey off the field)
"We're obviously very excited for him. Today's a big day for him and all the people along the way that helped him to get to this point. I think that when moments like this happen, it involves a lot of people. We're certainly excited that he's here. We think he's a really good fit for the Rams and I know that that was one of the things I was really excited about, when I got this opportunity, was be able to partner up with him and compete together. I think we fit really well together. I think that we've gotten to learn a lot more about each other over the last six months and certainly the last month-and-change since we've been in person. It's been fun going to work every day together and we're hoping that the best is to come."

(On if he is relieved Ramsey’s extension occurred before the season began)
"I don't have any experience with guys with a contract ongoing, you know, looming, I should say. So, that would've been my first experience with something like that, with a player of his caliber, but you know, I think for him, now he can just go be Jalen Ramsey. He can go play the way he's capable of playing and I think that for him, probably more than myself and everybody else, is that I think he gets to be free now. And I think that certainly when something like this happens for you, now you can just focus on being the best version of yourself and in many ways, it's a dream come true, but I know for him, that there's so much to be done. I know that he's just getting started in his NFL career and we're excited to see his best football this season."

(On Ramsey's confidence)
"Yeah, I think his confidence is real. I don't think it's something that's orchestrated. I think it comes from all the work that he puts into his game, his confidence in his ability, certainly, but also confidence in his preparation, his training. I think that that's where that comes from. I think that's what's impressive about him, is when you put him in between the white lines, there's a gear that he can get to that few can, there's a level of focus, there's a fearlessness that all special players have and he has that. What he's able to do, is elevate the people around him. I think that that is something that we wanted to feel good about with him is, is he going to elevate the play of people around him? We felt like he could do that and on top of his obvious physical gifts and his skills. Obviously, we're looking for him to elevate the performance of everybody around him."

(On losing to the Cowboys last year and how to make sure that doesn't happen again)
"Yeah, (they’re) a very good running football team. It starts with an offensive line that played a lot together and then Jason Witten, that tight end, those guys had played a lot of football together and then you add in the runner of caliber of (Rcool smiley Zeke Elliott. Day's like that happen in the NFL to everybody, but I think that with the Cowboys, they're a line of scrimmage team and that's where the game is going to be decided, is at the line of scrimmage. It starts with playing really physical at the point of attack, setting edges, and then being able to tackle. You've got to kill blocks and then, you ultimately got to tackle. They've got a lot of weapons, a lot of people that can hurt you with the ball in their hands. It's not just the runner, it's the quarterback. (RB Tony) Pollard's an outstanding runner. They've got receivers that are really good after the catch, they've got tight ends with size, so they've got a very complete offensive football team and we're going to have to be a really fundamentally sound defense on Sunday night."

(On what excites him about the long-term prospects of having Ramsey and DL Aaron Donald)
"I think they elevate the performance of people around them. I think that's what makes them special, is that they can change the math and how you play defense and how you prepare and attack for offenses. It affords you some luxuries that not very many defenses or teams are able to have. Having two guys of that caliber, one guy that is close to the football and then another one that's farther away but football lifers would tell you, that those two spots are very important to defensive football and the fact that we have both of those guys and then the caliber of people that we feel like they are, it's a win-win for us and hopefully we can get a lot accomplished together."

(On deciphering when to be a coordinator or when to be teacher to the players)
"Those are outstanding points. I think all the time. That's the first thing I consider myself as a teacher, as a coach and I think teaching starts with relationships. You get your point across a lot better when you have relationships with people. You become a lot more believable teacher when guys know you're invested in them as men and then as players. I think establishing really good relationships is at the hallmark of any great teacher or coach, and that's what I've tried to do here. I think that being able to show people why we do what we do and how that helps them as often as we can, whether it's on video or out on the field, just being able to always give them a reason and it's an ongoing process. It's day after day, it's moment after moment, taking advantage of every opportunity you get to create buy-in from your players, especially when you're brand new. When your brand new, you got to prove yourself, you know? And that's something that makes the NFL special, is that no matter what role you're in, even you guys, you got to prove yourself every day in the NFL. It's a special responsibility. It's one that I don't take lightly, and I enjoy that part of it, is teaching and coaching players."

(On the addition of LB Justin Hollins and the linebacker group)
"I have obviously a relationship with (Lcool smiley Justin (Hollins). Justin played good football for us last year in Denver. I thought as a rookie, he came into a tough circumstance. We cross-trained him in two positions, and I thought he showed himself in the preseason of last year playing, kind of, two positions. I mean, last year when we played the Rams, he played every play in the game. Played in two games last year at inside linebacker, just kind of off the bench. We got banged up and a way he was in there and held his own and then on the edge, he played a lot of good football for us. We felt like he'd be a good fit. He's a young player, he's got the traits that we're looking for from a physical standpoint and then he's got really good makeup. He's a really dependable guy, gives you kind of dual position flex and then hoping to get him going on special teams with (Special Teams Coordinator) Coach (John) Bonamego. So, I think the familiarity was big, but I think what was bigger is that he fits exactly what we're looking for in a player and hopefully excited to get to roll back here in due time."

(On if he sees Hollins as more of an edge player to start)
"I think that's accurate. I think he's going to be outside linebacker to start, and then he's going to give us insurance at inside linebacker. I feel very comfortable with him at either spot."

QB Jared Goff

(On his initial thoughts on CB Jalen Ramsey’s contract extension)
“Awesome. Awesome. Very excited for him. I'm very excited for our team. it's always a life changing day with that amount of money and he's waited well long enough. You know, he's been my opinion, the top corner in our league for a long time. He deserves every bit of it and I'm excited about it. And selfishly, I'm excited to practice against him for a long time.”

(On how the team congratulated Ramsey)
“I mean, there was, there was a few locker room jabs, of course. You know, you see him and asking him what he's got in his bag and just joking, joking around with him. But, uh, no, he's handled it well. I think we're all excited for him.”

(On how the opportunity to support Inglewood Unified School District came about and on Vice President of Community Affairs and Engagement Molly Higgins)
“Yeah, it's been quite a process. We've been working on it for quite some time. I've always wanted to kind of transition that ‘JG16’ thing into a foundation charity and what have it. Ultimately, kids is where I'm very passionate and helping youth and specifically helping underprivileged youth. It all kind of came together this offseason. Obviously, I missed everything else that's happening in our world in the last six to nine months, you know with COVID and then a lot of attention being on social injustice stuff. It's really been a really cool opportunity for me to be able to give back and to make a difference. It's the most excited I've ever been about something off the field that I've done. I can't wait for years to come being able to work with Inglewood and being able to be a part of helping those kids and hopefully changing their lives. (Vice President of Community Affairs and Engagement) Molly (Higgins) was incredible. Molly did a really good job and was kind of the engine behind it the whole time, kind of making things move. She did a great job and I'm super thankful for her.”

(On what it was like working directly with Higgins)
“Molly has been awesome. I think she's been able to really show herself in these last nine months with everything that's happened and with COVID specifically, and then in the offseason with the shootings across the country. I think her role has become even bigger as we've gone on. I remember back in February, or whenever that was when COVID started, I guess in March, me and (OL) Andrew (Whitworth) had those donations and she was pivotal in that as well being able to direct us in the right donation and then direct us in the right charity, I guess. No different with what's been going on right now. She's been really good for everybody and specifically for me as well.”

(On whether any quarterbacks have offered motivating advice following a bad play)
“I can't recall a specific time. I mean, I'm sure they could have, it's always been a strength of mine and something that a lot of people have noticed as teammates throughout my life. But I can't remember any specific time for you.”

(On how that became a strength of his)
“That's a good question. I've been asked that for a long time. I don't know. It's either good poise or composure. I think the best answer is just kind of understanding that at the end of the day you’re competitive, you're having fun. You want to win, and you want to do everything right. But it is a game and you are out there trying to have fun and do your best. Ultimately, that's all you can ask for. When things go wrong, there's nothing you can do. It's in the past. There's no way to fix it. The only thing you can do is try to be better moving forward. That's always been my mindset.”

(On what fun ways Offensive Coordinator Kevin O’Connell has done to help activate him)
“Yeah. The one you saw last night was a post-practice competition. That was a little bit different. But that one is winding. I think that's part of it, it is a little bit conditioning as well. But he does a good job with that. Like, you're kind of saying. A lot of those drills we do pre-practice are always competitive and you know, we're always trying to hit those little bags that you guys see. We're counting our points and he does a really good job keeping it obviously fundamentally based and then making sure we're getting better on our fundamentals, but at the same time it can get mundane doing the same thing over and over again. So, he keeps it fun and keeps it light. I've been so happy with (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin (O’Connell) so far and look forward to working with him throughout the year.”

(On whether there will ever be higher stakes with it)
“You’ll have to ask those other guys. I'm up for anything.”

(On if it will be more challenging to play in a game with no fans in the stadium)
“You know, I don't know yet. We'll have to wait and see. I think they would obviously be different, you know, what's going to be different about it? How will it affect us? I don't know. I don't expect it to that much. If it affects us in any way, it'll have the same effect and everyone else across the league. But it's going to be a different feeling for sure. I think the main difference is going to be, when there's a big play, either way, not getting that like kind of energy from the crowd. When there's a sack, when there's a turnover, when there's a touchdown, you feel that energy and it gets that momentum going. But it'll be for everybody across the league until they allow fans and hopefully at some point they do. If they don't, we'll deal with it. But, it's just part of what everyone's dealing with.”

(On the meaning of getting a win on Sunday)
“Yeah, it'd be 1-0. I think that's how we always want to start every year. You always want to start off on the right foot and start off 1-0. We've been fortunate to do that, the last three years and this year is no different. We feel the same way, and Dallas, obviously a great opponent team that took care of us pretty well last year at the end of year. We want to get a win.”

(On how far back he went back to prepare for the Dallas defense)
“Yeah, we back to ’05, San Francisco stuff? No (laughs). We've got a relative idea of what we think we're expecting. With that being said, though, they can run whatever they want. It’s a new coordinator, it's new players for the coordinator, it's a new staff. They can do anything. We'll be ready to adjust on the fly. But yeah, we were preparing with what we relatively think we'll expect.”

(On playing against Cowboys K Greg Zuerlein)
“Yeah. I actually thought about that earlier this week. Him and ‘Bones’ (Cowboys Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel). You know, those guys that have been here since the beginning of my career and having them on the other side it will be weird. I wish them the best of luck, except in our game. Other than that, do your thing, (Cowboys K) Greg (Zuerlein), but I've always been a fan of Greg's and he's a friend of mine and wishing him the best.”

(On how comfortable he is with the running back group this season)
“Very comfortable, very comfortable. Those guys have done a great job. I think (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) in particular, just being a rookie and stepping up and doing a good job has been cool to see. But (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) has always been that veteran presence for us and (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) has started to become that veteran for us as well. It’s been good and we feel really good about the running backs as whole right now and that rotation for them. I feel very comfortable.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky378September 10, 2020 12:26AM