Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Cowboys Head Coach Mike McCarthy – Media Availability – September 9, 2020

September 09, 2020 02:20PM
TRANSCRIPT: Cowboys Head Coach Mike McCarthy – Media Availability – September 9, 2020
(On thoughts of CB Jalen Ramsey)
“I mean, excellent player. Obviously, he's a matchup that they obviously feel great about. He has everything you're looking for in a shutdown corner. So, I mean, just trying to project all their defensive players into how they potentially or possibly how we think they're going to play us with the new scheme. So, he's a very good fit for that because with the opportunities to put the corner on an island out there and try to help on the inside routes and so forth, it definitely gives the defense advantage, but excellent football player.”

(On how to prepare for Rams defense with Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley)
“Well, you just look at (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon's (Staley) history and try to project what you think they're going to do with their defensive personnel. So, I understand his history in Denver and, we've gone back and talked about some of his college experience. At the end of the day, I think, when you do start the season, you have to really stay focused on doing the things that you feel best. It's definitely a projection when you're going up against a coordinator that hasn't coordinated before. You also look at their staff there and the number of defensive assistants that they've kept. So, just trying to really regulate on how much change you think there really is. The good thing for us is, we've had extra time in training camp and really this last — without having the preseason games in this particular instance, there's probably a benefit because we were able to put more time and energy into working on schemes that we feel will best suit us for the Rams defense.”

(On was he able to get any information on the Rams from Hard Knocks)
“Oh yeah. We watch Hard Knocks. I don't want to sit here and act like we didn’t, but you definitely look at those things. I thought they did a good job and in fairness to the Rams, you know, just with the tight coverage — but there wasn't a whole lot there for us to sink our teeth into.”

(On adding Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel to the Cowboys)
“Well, the addition of (Dallas Cowboys Special Teams Coordinator) John (Fassel) to our staff was definitely one of my primary and first hires for our stuff. John’s reputation, we've had friends in common that have worked with John, so I've always admired his work from afar. I think he's not only an outstanding football coach, but I've been so impressed with him as a person. His positivity is infectious and I think he's definitely a big part of our staff.”

(On thoughts of new Cowboys K Greg Zuerlein)
“I mean I can't say enough about him. I've always respected his ability and his production. You know, one of the things that jumps out at you is the way (Cowboys K) Greg (Zuerlein) lifts the ball. I mean, his lift is really as good as I have seen. Being around (Green Bay Packers K) Mason Crosby the last 10 years, I think Greg is definitely one of the top kickers in the game. So, we're very fortunate to have the opportunity to sign him here and he's been an excellent fit for us.”

(On feelings about being the team that opens up SoFi Stadium against the Rams)
“Oh yeah, make no doubt about it, (Dallas Cowboys Owner/President/General Manager) Jerry (Jones) has told us all about the stadium. I know he's excited for the Rams organization and what's gone into this stadium. I think it's just a little smaller than AT&T (Stadium), that's a fact that, I'm saying as I'm winking my eye, you just can't see that. But, you know, we're excited to be part of that, it's no question. It's supposed to be an unbelievable venue. So, looking forward to competing out there.”

(On if he expects play to be different in the NFL this year)
“I really do believe football will be football. Again, you have to state the obvious. The game environment is going to sound and look a little different. If you had a chance to watch the NBA, I think it’s an excellent comparable. You know, it's still great basketball, but it's the gameday environment that looks different. I'm sure it felt, I can't speak on their behalf, but I'm sure it's different. So, I think our experience will be similar.”

(On if he studied Head Coach Sean McVay during the time he was studying NFL tendencies and what were his takeaways)
“Oh, definitely. I had a chance to watch (Head Coach) Sean (McVay). I think as I view offensive football, you tend to put different coaches into families. So, I mean, really that's the way the offenses were broken down, based off schematic family. It's not that they are all the same, it's because everybody, especially Sean, they have their distinct variations that they run and adhere to and how they utilize the players and the starting point. The way I view it is with the quarterback and so forth. But he does a lot of great things. He really challenges the defense from a communication standpoint with the presnap, as far as cadence variation and ability to shift the motion on certain plays, lining up in a standard huddle and immediately shifting up to the line of scrimmage, and going quick count, then following up with a hard count. So, when you have a chance to watch that much TV, watch the different games and also watch the TV copies, you just really have an appreciation for the coaching in the league. And Sean does a great job.”

(On if he has any concerns on QB Dak Prescott’s contract)
“I do not. I think what you learn in this business and definitely in this league is that every player and coach, you’re a contracted employee. Everybody goes through a business process to be part of this league, it's just the way it's laid out. So, I've always respected the business process and frankly, I just follow my father's advice, you never talk about another man's money. So that's really how I view my overview, but I think it's just the chance to be around (Dallas Qcool smiley Dak (Prescott), he's extremely focused, his everyday behavior, personality and just the discipline that he puts into his job is very very impressive. I don't have any concerns about his situation. I think decisions are made and we all come together and we have a goal as a team and he'll be leading the charge to accomplish that goal.”

(On how he’s preparing for the Rams defense with CB Jalen Ramsey and DL Aaron Donald)
“I mean, make no mistake about it, when you put together a game plan, you’re always talking about their feature players and you know, (DL) Aaron (Donald) is at the top of that list. Obviously, so is (CB Jalen) Ramsey. It’s part of your presentation, it's part of your film study. At the end of the day, we want to play through what we feel we do best. But, you definitely need to know where those two guys are at all times, they’re impact players. Aaron has been the best defensive player in the league now for a couple years. He’s definitely a focus of ours.”
--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky303September 09, 2020 02:20PM