Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - September 7, 2020

September 08, 2020 12:34AM
(On how much emphasis will be placed on fundamentals due to the lack of preseason games)
“Yeah, it's always big, but it's especially big this year. We've really talked about being a team that doesn't beat ourselves, being really smart, having great fundamentals and technique, especially in the absence of those preseason games, like you mentioned. What we've tried to do is create as many competitive scenarios as possible. Get these guys the work. We expect to have a great week of work this week. We had a good bonus day today and guys have the right focus and concentration that we want. I'm looking forward to next week for sure.”

(On if he thinks the players have gotten over the shock of SoFi Stadium)
“I don't know if you ever get over that, but I think they're excited about being able to play in there. We had the the fake crowd noise going to get used to it. It's not going to be quite the same as when you have real fans in there, but, we're certainly excited about the opportunity to compete there.”

(On what they will do differently from last season to slow down the Dallas Cowboys run game)
“We're doing some different things. We've got different personnel, so really, we’ve just got to play well within the framework of our game plan and just execute. I think defense is all about all 11 (players) doing things the right way, getting 11 hats to the football. We've got a lot of different things that we'll try to activate to slow an explosive offense like them down. It's going to be a great challenge but think our guys will be up for it for sure.”

(On what he’s seen from the running back group heading into Week 1)
“Their daily growth. (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) is a guy that's played a lot of games, had a lot of significant contributions over the last couple of years. I think he's been steady and been exactly what you want for a veteran leader and a guy that we know that we can count on in a variety of different ways. (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) is continuing to get better. You know, you forget sometimes he's a young player, but we are going to ask a lot of him. I expect those two to be ready to roll and do a great job for us. Then we're optimistic that (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) will be ready to go as well. So, if he is, that's a three back rotation that you feel really good about. Exactly how those carries are distributed, will be something that will be determined really as the week progresses and as the game unfolds. I think we feel good about all those guys and however the game is going is kind of what we'll end up getting a feel for. (Running Backs) Coach (Thomas) Brown has an excellent feel for that stuff where he'll be able to rotate those guys accordingly.”

(On how good it feels to be apart of an organization that does so much in the community)
“It’s special. I think that's been so great is when you end up saying, ‘We want to bring high character people into this building with our players.’ Those guys understand how to really be able to do something bigger than themselves and use the platform the right way. I think that's represented by a lot of our leaders, our guys that have been doing things the right way on the field, off the field. I think the opportunities that (Vice President Community Affairs and Engagement) Molly Higgins aligns these guys with is a real credit to her leadership, just really proud. I think that's what it's really about.”

(On LB Justin Hollins, what he brings to the table and if that decision was influenced by Defensive Coordiantor Brandon Staley)
“That was huge. I mean that's the reason that we brought him in is because (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley) felt comfortable with him. He identified him as a guy that could really help us, has some familiarity with what we're doing schematically, can contribute really on defense and on special teams. So, he was here, he looks good. He'll be a quick study that has some versatility on the edge and if he has to drop inside, talking about an inside linebacker, but he's a guy we’re excited to be able to claim. We had kind of identified him as somebody that we wanted to be able to utilize that spot, that we were going to be able to get for A’Shawn Robinson (going to the reserve list), That's something that we're excited to be able to have (Lcool smiley Justin (Hollins) in the building. And today was his first day with us.”

(On if he sees Hollins earning a jersey before Sunday’s game)
“Yeah, the plan is he'll be up.”

(On how difficult it is to prepare for a team that has new coaches and no preseason film to watch)
“It's a good challenge. I think that's where, when you look at it defensively, you certainly don't want to minimize that it's a different scheme, but they still have great personnel, and a lot of guys that were there the previous year that we're very familiar with. So, you want to understand the personnel, but also understand how those skillsets and the way that those guys we anticipate being utilized under (Cowboys Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Mike) Nolan's guidance and leadership. In a lot of instances offensively, you want to make sure that you do a great job of running things that maybe we've gotten a chance to get off on our own throughout the course of training camp, while also being ready to have answers if they do some different stuff that we potentially don't anticipate. Then on defense, you know, you're looking at a collaboration between (Head) Coach (Mike) McCarthy and (Offensive Coordinator) Kellen Moore. Obviously, (Offensive Line) Coach (Joe) Philbin will have a huge influence. So, there's a lot of tape and a lot of success that both those guys really, all three of them have had in their own ways at being able to lead. I think you'll see a collaboration of all three of those. Then we're very familiar with ‘Bones’ (Cowboys Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel) and what a great special teams coach he is. I would anticipate the scheme will be familiar with a lot of our guys, and similar to what you guys have seen from us each of the last three years, or even longer before I got here. It is a balance, but it's about these players at the end of the day and want to make sure we put them in good position so they can go play with a quieted mind and go do their thing.”

(On if it feels like game week and an increased energy)
“Yeah, I think it really hit me yesterday when you're going through some decisions and you're saying, ‘This time next week we'll actually be playing at SoFi (Stadium)’. So, it's exciting. We had the crazy crowd noise going today and it was right at that 85-decibel level. We wanted to get a little bit louder than what the 75 (decibel) maximum, because figure that open air. Everybody's got a little pop in their step and certainly you noticed that the other day when I was a little bit friendlier with you guys.”

(On if he imagines more substitutions because of early-season conditioning)
“I think it's all dependent upon the flow of the game. In a lot of instances, you're saying, ‘Okay, whatever an offensive personnel does in some instances, the defensive personnel matches,’ or they say, ‘I don't care what the offense comes out. I'm going to throw this personnel grouping out there.’ I think it will feel a normal game. Our guys are in shape. Really, we’ve tried to create practice settings, and for us, I'm not worried about that as much because each of the last couple of years, our guys that were starters, did not playing the preseason anyways. For our guys, it’s a very similar rhythm and routine that they’re accustomed to. This isn’t a new thing not having actual preseason reps. The only thing we didn’t get is that opportunity to compete against other teams. We certainly were able to push one another, and I feel good about the game shape we are in. Hopefully it will show itself on Sunday.”

(On if anything was different coaching at SoFi Stadium versus visiting it)
“When you’re coaching, you’re locked in on the game. You definetly appreciate the Oculus and how magnificent that is, but you’re focused on the field in some of those scrimmage settings. What I did appreciate is when my fiancé and I went just to walk around you get a chance to experience all of the levels, what really I think is what makes the stadium, I could go on a million reasons what makes it special, but every single place you feel like (inaudible) the first level, whatever it is, you feel like you’re right there. There is definetly a special feeling that is different than any other stadium I have been in. It’s a real credit to the vision of (Owner/Chairman) Mr. Kroenke.”

(On if the roster is set or will they look to add RB Raymond Calais)
“So there will be a move that we'll have to make. We haven't done anything yet. He (RB Raymond Calais) is going to come in tomorrow, take a physical. Because of the COVID and some of the other things, then we'll end up having to make a corresponding transactional move that we’ll determine, and I'll share with you guys on Wednesday.”

(On what attracted him to Calais and why a running back specifically)
“He's got a great returnability, he's got explosion. Did some nice things, that we had heard from some similar people that we know what the Bucs and our coaches evaluated him coming out (of college). I think anytime that you've got one of those elite traits with that speed, you're going to get an opportunity. And that was really the thing that excited a lot of guys to be able to get him in here.”

(On if his concerned about getting a deal done for CB Jalen Ramsey)
“I think you know from covering us the last couple of years, those things, if we're able to get something done, it's usually right in these next couple of days is that window of time that's kind of been consistent for some of our guys. So, there's a couple of key players that of ours that we are still working and whether or not we're able to get that done, we remain optimistic. That that's where we're at with that. No further updates on any of those contract status with some of our players.”

(On the latest for OLB Terrell Lewis)
“We're still waiting on that re those results. Like I said, this is a unique situation and we are waiting on some of the results back from the test that we've run. We have not gotten that back. That's why I have not shared that information with you guys. So, to explain it, we're hopeful and optimistic that it'll be positive reports back, but it's something that we've never experienced before and that's why it's taken so long to get some clarity.”

(On how much he will stress the consequences of COVID-19)
“There are some more potentially severe consequences, like you mentioned. I think you want to stay consistent, because we've still been able to kind of keep a good rhythm, where what we establish in training camp is consistent with what we'll end up having in season, as far as the guys and their days off, stuff like that. So, I think it's just continuing to be consistent with the messaging that we do have. And then I think the real challenge will be when we do travel, understanding what that looks like. How safe we have to be to risk mitigate and do all those things. I've been really pleased with our guys. I think the results of the league have been reflective of a very sound process, but it's also something that as soon as you get comfortable, you never know what can occur. We're hopeful that we'll avoid that, but that's why we've got to continue to emphasize those things.”

(On if he plans to have one main running back or have a rotation)
“I think it's a balance. I think if you've got a guy that clearly establishes himself as somebody that can play on all three downs, and then you have somebody to spot them, that's a good situation. Which we've seen what that look like with some of the success we've had when (former Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) was really leading the way at the running back spot each of the last few years. But, I've also seen where you've got guys that you feel like can play. They’re younger guys. (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) has got a little bit more experience than those other two. I think what you feel good about is three guys you're confident in. As the season unfolds, that might give us some clarity on if somebody ends up separating themselves, but we're going to go in to it with three different backs, different skillsets that present a different kind of change of pace and a different dynamic that they can present to defenses. I think that can help keep people off balance as well. So, it's really our job to maximize the skillsets of all of our players. If someone establishes themselves as the clear-cut front runner, then I think you'll see that reflected in their play. But right now, going into it, we feel really good about three backs and knowing that we have confidence in all three of them.”

(On if he knows who will be the RB on the field for the first series)
“I do not yet. We might go with five wide (receivers) set, no backs, or we might put all three (running) backs on the field and then two other skill guys. You never know.”

(On if the practice squad was evaluated differently because of COVID)
“I would say that it's something that you're aware of, but because we knew that the way that this year was going to probably play itself out, we felt like with our 80 (man roster), more than likely a good portion of the 69 (players) that we're able to have in our building with the 53 (man active roster) and then the 16 practice squad bodies, we wanted to make sure that we felt like all those guys, we had identified as people that could help and we envisioned being able to contribute down the road for us. That's kind of the direction that we took with our practice squad. They need to be ready. If there is a benefit of that, it's because they've gotten so many reps in our system without having to play preseason games or having to give too many looks because we're not getting ready for another opponent. So, you're aware of it, but it has been a consistent routine in terms of evaluating our practice squad guys. And now that we get into it, they need to continue to stay up on our information, but also do a great job giving looks for the guys we know for sure are going to be playing.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky374September 08, 2020 12:34AM