Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald - Media Availability - September 3, 2020 HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

September 03, 2020 01:18PM
TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald - Media Availability - September 3, 2020
HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

(On an update on OLB Terrell Lewis)
“I don't have any update on that.”

(On if he’s anticipating an update on Lewis’ return)
“Hoping that I'll have an update in the next couple of days.”

(On how CB Troy Hill’s health)
“(Ccool smiley Troy (Hill) was good. He was good.”

(On how he feels training camp went and how he would evaluate camp during COVID and if he’d like to see a similar camp next season)
“That's really not for me to talk about. I think the guys have done a great job handling the circumstances. I've been really pleased with them. They've done everything that we've asked. We've gotten a lot of really good evaluation opportunities. Under the circumstances though, we have done a lot of good things, but there's still a lot of work to be done. We've got to continue to maximize every single ‘op’ that we have on the field until we get to that (September) 13th (game). We've got some tough decisions to make over these next couple of days, but fortunately with the expansion of the practice squad, a lot of these guys will still be able to be here. They've done a great job of making it tough on us. I'm just appreciative of the way that our guys have consistently worked throughout camp.”

(On what positions he thinks he’ll spend the most time on during roster cuts)
“I think they're all so important. You know, I think that's a real credit to our scouting staff, our coaches working in unison to be able to bring in a bunch of a quality college free agents. The draft picks have been great, signing some guys that hadn't been here that are veterans. So, every position is something that's very important. There are certain spots that maybe we have a little bit more experience at with guys that have played a lot of football, but there's going to be a lot of good dialogue over this next day and a half or so.”

(On who grabbed his attention the most out of the drafted and undrafted rookies)
“I mean, really, I would say that they've all stood out in their own way on, on different days. I've mentioned when you look at (S Jordan) Fuller and (S Terrell) Burgess have done a great job throughout camp. I think (Rcool smiley Cam Akers and (WR) Van Jefferson have also done an excellent job. So, you know, those four in particular, have really stood out from that rookie class and those guys have continued to shine really throughout camp.”

(On if he is hopeful that a contract will get done for CB Jalen Ramsey)
“We'll see, we'll see.”

(On where he will stand if a contract extension has not been reached for Ramsey going in to Week 1)
“He's a very important player for us. We're focused on getting ready, getting him ready for the football season and the (Dallas) Cowboys game.”

(On if he will be concerned if a contract has not been reached for Ramsey going into game one)
“No. He's done a great job handling things. Those conversations, that (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) and I've had have been good and that's where we'll leave it.”

(On if the team is waiting for anything in particular in assessing Lewis)
“Yeah, it's a unique situation, is what I would say. I'm probably not knowledgeable to be able to truly articulate, and there's still a lot of things that we've got to get figured out. So, I'd rather be able to wait until I have the right information and accurate information to be able to give you guys what's going on with him (OLB Terrell Lewis).”

(On if he is comfortable with the linebackers or if the team will search outside for upgrades this weekend)
“No. We feel comfortable. Those guys have done a nice job. The big thing for us is, you always are looking at if there's any potential guys that do come available based on teams releasing them. So, it's something that you feel good about the guys in house, but we're always monitoring. If there's a way that we feel like we can upgrade our roster, we'll always pursue those options.”

(On how he feels about DL Aaron Donald’s mindset and the defense as a whole)
“I thought they've had a great camp. I love the way that we're coming together and playing as a unit, understanding some of the intricacies of what we're trying to get done, based on the call. But, we've got some work to be able to do, but I think the continuity is probably what he was speaking on and that's something that I do feel really good about. I've been very pleased with them. I think the leaders, when you talk about ‘AD’ (DL Aaron Donald), he has done an excellent job. (DL Michael) Brockers, to be able to just consistently show up in and day out and inject those guys with the energy and enthusiasm to get it done. I’m looking forward to seeing that continue as we move forward.”

(On how he describes Donald’s durability)
“Second to none. He's so unique. I mean, it seems like every single day, when you watch him closely, he does something that makes you say, ‘Holy, you know…’ He’s unique and he brings it every day. I think the best thing about Aaron is when your best player represents exactly what it looks like to compete with a relentless approach to every single snap that is so powerful. To be able to say, ‘Hey, watch what ‘AD’ does right here. Watch the way this guy brings it every single thing, everything that we do.’ That's the epitome of what we're looking for in guys and he's demonstrated that to a ‘T’. I love him”

(On why Ramsey did not participate during the second half of practice and if it is because of his contract)
“No. he had participated earlier. We were working in some carded periods a little bit later on, where you'll typically see some substitution. So, he was taking part in the earlier parts of practice, but we were kind of just spotting some of his reps.”

(Clarification on why OL Andrew Whitworth did not practice)
“Veteran day for him. Yep. He had gone a couple of days in a row in pads. So, we give the big fella one of those three days off.”

(On what was Whitworth’s message to the team during practice)
“He's real passionate about all the right things. I'll keep that in house, but it was just a challenge, based on where his heart is and kind of really listening to his teammates. A lot of the things that are going on and really just kind of trying to put some action in place, but kind of just keep that in-house. But it was a special, powerful message that I think was received very well from the guys.”

(On if he would like to see no preseason moving forward or for it to come back)
“I think the preseason is good. I think it's a very helpful part of the evaluation process. I also have mentioned a bunch of times, I love being able to practice against other teams. I think that mixes up the monotony of camp. I think our guys have done a great job handling the parameters that we have in place. I think all things considered you would prefer (inaudible) to what we've all been accustomed to in previous years.”

(On if he feels good about where WR Cooper Kupp and RB Darrell Henderson Jr. are heading into Week 1)
“Yeah. I feel good about (WR) Cooper (Kupp). He was able to get out there today and he was full speed and he's feeling great. (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.), we're continuing to monitor. We're optimistic, but, until he truly gets out there and is able to really open up and let it go full speed, be hard for me to say. But because of Cooper being out there today, he feels great. That was never really a true concern like we had talked about, but Darrell with an actual strain of that hamstring, that's something that you’ve got to closely monitor.”

DL AARON DONALD
(On the end of training camp, how he felt it went and if the team is ready for Week 1)
“I feel like it went good. Went good. I think we got better – had some good work, feel fresh, feeling healthy. A lot of guys are fresh and healthy. So, I think overall great. I liked the way this camp went, how I felt, how it was. So, I'm just ready for next week.”

(On where he feels the defense is at heading into Week 1 and the twists he can put on this defense)
"No, I feel like I'm at that point, could still fix the things here and there, but overall, I feel comfortable knowing this scheme, knowing how I got to do things, knowing when I can take my chances and do what I do. So, I'm feeling good.”

(On if there was anything specific he wanted to work on in training camp)
"I'm just working on my overall game. There’s things that I wanted to work on personally, but you know, I’m not going to tell you guys what it was (laughs). I definitely feel like I got a lot out. I learned a lot from ‘Coach Henney’ (Defensive Line Coach Eric Henderson), as far as certain technique things I needed to work on, as far as playing the run certain ways and wanting to take my chances and things like that. So, I felt like I practiced it, put it on film. I'm able to get myself better overall. So, I'm feeling great where I'm at right now. Like I said, I'm feeling healthy. I'm so ready to go.”

(On what rookies stood out to him)
"There's a bunch of guys that stood out. This week, the wide receiver 12 (WR Van Jefferson), was making some real big plays. He's definitely going to be a guy that's going, you know, if he continues to work, continues to get better, can definitely make a big impact in his league right away. But there have been a bunch of guys. I’m not going to sit here, keep naming all the guys, but you know, he's definitely a guy that was on the radar this week from watching him practice and the way he was competing and all the catches he was making.”

(On the different type of training camp with no preseason)
"No, it was great. I wish we could do training camp like this every year. It was fine. I liked how the schedule where we got great work, were in and out. I felt like we were able to do certain things to keep our bodies fresh and keep ourselves healthy. But, at the same time, we got great work. I think that's what it's about, getting great work, you’re in and out and at the same time to keep yourself fresh, keep yourself ready. So, I think overall as a team, I feel like we are where we need to be, obviously we’ve got a lot of room for improvement, always, never be satisfied. But right now, if we had a game tomorrow, I think we'd be ready.”

(On the first team meeting in LA if he thought he would actually play in the stadium with the Rams)
I really never thought about it. I just played and went with the flow, because you never know what can happen. Came a long way from St. Louis, to here now in the new stadium. I'm excited to have the opportunity to play there. Can't wait until we actually get some fans in there to cheer for us. Definitely pumped up to get on that field and play a game now live. So, it's definitely going to be dope. Great experience.”

(On making the relocation journey with guys like DL Michael Brockers, P Johnny Hekker and RB Malcolm Brown amongst others)
“Yeah, because there ain't too many of us left. Definitely got the guy that came from St. Louis, it’s been a long, long ways, you know, a long ways, from we started to where we at now. We're just blessed to be here still and be in a position where we had the opportunity to, you know, to start a legacy at this new stadium.”

(On the importance of in-game music especially now without fans)
"The music isn’t that important to me. So, I don't really care. You're talking about the make that make up for the noise because the fans aren’t there? Oh, well, yeah, you want as much noise as you can, if you can. You lose that excitement, that loudness from the fans, from the crowd. So, hopefully they can substitute something and create something, so we get that same feel.”

(On a player’s mindset entering the season with ongoing contract negotiations)
"You want it done. You want to have the opportunity to get what you work for, what you deserve and to the point where the business part is handled, to the point where you can go out there and play football and be free. That's what it comes down to. There's a lot that goes through your head, because at the end of the day, you want the business side to get handled so you can just go out there and do what you do.”

(On his mindset on gameday)
"To go out there every Sunday, just to go out there and compete – do what I've been doing since I was five or six years old. Fly around and give the fans, the crowd, something to cheer for and watch. You make a name for yourself and you help win games by being productive and making plays. I want to continue to do that. So, I got to continue to work, continue to get myself better and not be satisfied and not let myself slow down.”

(On if there’s anything he hopes is carried over to next year’s training camp from this one)
"We can keep this same schedule next year, how about that? The same schedule we did this year, we can do that next year. I don’t have any complaints for camp if we do that.”

(On wanting to go back to the dorms for camp)
"No, I liked staying in my house, sleeping in my own bed, coming to work and getting in and out. If we keep that same schedule. I'm good with that.”

(On pumping up the crowd in the scrimmage with no one there)
"You want that feel. That's what you feed off, the fans. So, you make big play on a third down, you usually get to do that, you hear the crowd go crazy, man. That's what you’re going to miss. That's what you want. So, that's why I hope they can figure something out to the point where, if we don't have fans to the point, they can create something to the point, we still get that type of feel – If it's a big-time play, we need that crowd behind us. You know how I feel about that though.”

(On if he’s going to wave his arms to increase crowd noise in a game)
"It depends on how I feel. Yeah, if I need to. ‘Hey, turn the speakers up, turn them up, I can’t hear you!’”

(On how no fans might impact offensive touchdown celebrations)
"I don’t know, you’ve got to ask the offensive guys that. I’m not sure.”

(On if he expects the first games to be more mistake filled)
"I think it's going to be different. I don't know how different, just from the aspect of not having fans alone is going to be different. I'm anxious to see that the first game played that Thursday night game. So, see how that is that feels, how the guys are moving around, how they're out there playing. What they’re feeding off as far when they make the big plays. It's definitely going to be different, but we won't know until we actually go out there, we actually play in game and get the opportunity to experience that.

(On what OL Andrew Whitworth said to the team at the end of practice)
“That was just between us. It was just some things we got going on but that's between us and the team right now. You have to ask (OL Andrew Whitworth) ‘Whit’, if you want him to speak on it.”
--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay, DL Aaron Donald - Media Availability - September 3, 2020 HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

Shaky331September 03, 2020 01:18PM

Why do reporters insist on asking a coach about a contract?

promomasterj131September 03, 2020 03:28PM

agreed...it's pretty annoying to me too...

SunTzu_vs_Camus115September 03, 2020 03:48PM

Because they don't know football

max120September 03, 2020 03:50PM