Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, TE Brycen Hopkins, LB Leonard Floyd, TE Gerald Everett - Media Availability - September 1, 2020 HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

September 02, 2020 12:55AM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, TE Brycen Hopkins, LB Leonard Floyd, TE Gerald Everett - Media Availability - September 1, 2020
HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

(Opening Statement)
“All right guys, starting out, had a good walk-thru, we’ll have practice this afternoon starting to get into a normal rhythm and routine that will be in alignment with the schedule in season, even though we’re kind of still in that camp mode, like we talked about. Also, an update on ‘T Howard’ (LB Travin Howard) – unfortunately he did tear his meniscus. He’ll have surgery and will miss the remainder of the year. It’s really unfortunate for a guy that’s put in a lot of work, put himself in position to be a huge impact player for us. Have total trust that he’ll come back stronger and continue to be a big part of our organization moving forward. But, guys will be asked to step up in his absence.”

(On whether he will look to bring in any external players or if he’s happy with the current depth)
“Yeah, we feel good about the guys we have in-house. Not looking outside, just continuing to look at seeing these guys maximize opportunities. Like we talked about, there’s been a lot of bright spots from that group under (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers) Coach (Joe) Barry’s guidance and leadership. But, it’s a big loss because of how well he had been playing. Feel terrible for him.”

(On whether the injury occurred during practice)
“He did. He did it in practice, that’s why he had missed the last couple days. It’s kind of a weird deal, where he said he felt something but it didn’t seem like it was anything significant. Then when you look at it, he’d gotten that meniscus and we’ve got to go in there an get it fixed. It’s going to be few months and unfortunately that’s the case for him.”

(On who he expects to step up in Howard’s role)
“I think we’ve talked about those three guys, when you look at (Lcool smiley Micah (Kiser), (Lcool smiley Kenny (Young) and (Lcool smiley Troy Reeder. Those guys have done a nice job. Really, when you add in ‘T Howard’, those four have had played really good football throughout. We’re going to ask some younger guys to step up. That’s where you just hate it for ‘T Howard’, but it does present an opportunity for some other guys to see if they’re capable and fill the void. Those will be the main guys that we’re looking at right now.”

(On whether he watched the Dallas Cowboys scrimmage and any challenges considering they didn’t wear jersey numbers)
“They didn’t show any plays. It was no jerseys, no plays. We’ve got to be ready to go. But, I think it’s like anything else, this is such a unique year without any preseason games and especially with them being a new staff, I didn’t anticipate them showing anything. We didn’t show anything in our scrimmages, unless you guys are tweeting out too much stuff (laughs).”

(On how the pandemic will impact scouting this season)
“That’s a good question. I’m not sure exactly. I know the league is working through all that stuff. I’m not exactly sure how those guys (scouts) will be affected. There’s so many different parameters in place and I can only be where my feet are planted. But, it definitely affects being able to what the normal preseason allows being able to scout the other 31 teams’ guys. This is where you truly rely on a lot of your draft preparation with some of the draftable guys or college free agents if they do become available. That’s why I kind of mentioned earlier, I would imagine there will be less movement in terms of roster shuffling than what the last few years has been, just because of the limited exposure you have to other team’s rosters.”

(On whether this will apply to midseason trades as well)
“That’s a good question. I think it’s a little bit different just because you’ll at least have some inventory to go off of for this year. I don’t expect that to be affected as quite as much as the initial releasing of the rosters and what people’s 53 look like.”

(On whether there is interest in pursuing RB Leonard Fournette)
“He’s a good player. But we feel good about the guys we have in-house. Not looking to add anybody externally. I’ve been very pleased with our (running) backs. I’ve talked a lot about what a great job (Running Backs) Coach (Thomas) Brown has done. I think (Rcool smiley Malcolm Brown’s leadership has been outstanding for that group and those younger players we feel good about. So, that won’t be something that we’ll be looking into.”

(On if the practice squad becomes more tactical than a back-up due to a healthy team)
"I think it's both. It's extremely important to get the looks, but then you hope that you're able to stay healthy and nobody has any issues and they're making smart decisions off the field and doing the right things when they're here. I think that was a part of the expansion of the practice squad and you definitely want to maximize it, if the worst-case scenario ends up happening to your ball club."

(On developing players on the practice squad rather than using it for depth)
"I think that's always the approach you take with the practice squad, is these guys have a role to be able to give great looks for what the opponent is doing as we get ready throughout the week, but there's also still an accumulation of knowledge, because these players, they're in the defensive and offensive meetings, they're learning the system. Coaches spend extra time after practice is done and they're still a part of the individual work. You have guys on the practice squad for the same reasons that you're talking about with the goal of developing them, building from within and having them be part of your team and contributing on one of your three phases, hopefully sooner than later. That's always, kind of, our approach with the practice squad guys."

(On nobody being able to steal the practice squad players this season)
"It provides some insurance, yes. Those are the guys that you really want to pay close attention to, but where you're a little bit thinner at some other positions are where you'd be a little bit more apt to use that, kind of, protection mechanism."

(On assessing S Taylor Rapp coming back from injury)
"It's a day-by-day thing. Anytime that you're coming off an injury, you plan on wanting to go from zero to 100, but you want to be able to kind of acclimate these guys and on board them in a way that's in alignment with a good progression. I think we've seen a little bit of steady progress. He's been out there for the walk-thrus, he's been able to do some individual. We'll take it a little bit at a time and hopefully that will lead to him feeling ready to roll for the 13th."

(On how he has been impressed with Rapp's mental approach)
"He's stayed engaged. I think (Safeties) Coach (Ejiro) Evero's done an excellent job, but Taylor's really smart, he loves football, he's instinctual, he's stayed engaged in the meetings, he's been involved on the field at practice. That was one of the reasons why you love him so much coming out of Washington, is the instincts, the football acumen and all that stuff is a benefit for why you're hopeful and optimistic that he'll return to performing sooner than later. It's just a matter of that knee feeling totally good."

(On the balance between preparing for Dallas and creating as many competitive situations before Saturday)
"It is a balance. I think these next three days, our practice is kind of reflective of that and it's not necessarily, like we talked about yesterday, ‘Dallas looks’. It's maybe just some looks that we haven't seen from each other’s offense or defense or some of the trends around the league and that might be reflective of what we can anticipate seeing from the opposing teams in the first month of the season. We're still in that training camp mode. I think the competitive work is the most important thing you can get, but you also do want to get some looks at some different front structures, some different coverage contours, some different schemes, run-games, some different formations and pass concepts, so that's kind of what this week will be and then you'll really start to see us trim our focus towards Dallas, towards the later part of the week."

(On Gerald Everett's Twitter post about his contract)
"(TE) Gerald (Everett) knows he's a big part of what we're doing. He's going to be a very important piece for us. Waiting on anything is going to be a great season from Gerald Everett for the Rams. That's what you can wait on. We're very glad he's here. He's in a good place. He's done a great job throughout camp. He's versatility is a real winning edge for our football team and you're going to see that this coming season."

(On how to scout for Cowboys Head Coach Mike McCarthy and Offensive Coordinator Kellen Moore)
"It’s a combination of both, because they did a great job offensively. I would imagine that their offense will be reflective of a collaboration of both. (Cowboys Head Coach) Mike McCarthy has been a great offensive coach for a long time in this league. (Offensive Coordinator) Kellen (Moore) did a great job as a coordinator last year, their offensive numbers are reflective of that. So, you have to be mindful and be prepared for both parts of it."

(On if QB John Wolford ran practice squad last year)
"Yeah he did. And he’ll give our guys great looks, but he will also be ready to roll, making sure that he stays up to date with our information and things that are going on. But, he and (Former Rams Qcool smiley Blake (Bortles) kind of split those roles last year."

(On will Wolford be back in that role this year)
"Yeah. John has done a great job. John has established himself as a clear-cut guy, that we feel confident in, behind (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff). The most important thing is be ready to role in a tough situation, if that occurs. But he will definitely be a part of that ‘looks squad’, when we end up having our defense and being able to give them a look. As well as (Qcool smiley Bryce (Perkins), which is the three quarterbacks we have in hand right now. "

(On has he decided his starting five for the offensive line)
"Yeah, it’s an ongoing evaluation. I think it’s getting a feel. I mean, you get a lot of work in, even before you can truly start the practices. But, like we have talked about in the last couple of years, we’re moving guys around. We want to be able to establish that depth, make sure guys are comfortable playing in multiple spots and on multiple sides of the line. So, I wouldn’t say anything is fully decided. That’s just part of our evaluation process.”

(On what ILB Kenny Young brings to the defense)
"I think, speed, explosion. He’s one of those players on defense you feel. I thought he had a couple nice plays where he found an opening, triggered, and was able to make some TFLs. He has athleticism in coverage. I think he’s picking up the system well. I think just overall, the athleticism and ability to cover ground and be able to kind of see plays and make them, that quick reaction is something that stood out to me from him the other day. I thought he did a really nice job and I was very encouraged with (ILcool smiley Kenny’s (Young) play."

(On does K Lirim Hajrullahu experience in the CFL give him an advantage as the backup punter)
"Not unless (P Johnny) Hekker is going to miss a lot of games. You know, Johnny is going to be our punter. He’s healthy, he was with his family, which was the most important thing, no doubt about it. Congratulations to he and his wife on their second baby. But no we’re strictly evaluating kickers and that won’t change our evaluation based on him catching a couple of long snaps the other day (laughs).”

TE BRYCEN HOPKINS

(On reflecting on the last couple weeks and how things have been going)
"It’s been going well. It’s definitely a slow process. Just coming in here, new team…Everything has been kind of smooth for me. Just trying to do my best to adapt to the offense and just new people all around, new system, but I think I’ve been doing my best. Definitely, I’ve got a good support system, people around me just willing to help out and get me to the place I need to be. So, it’s been good preparation so far.”

(On what has been the biggest adjustment being a rookie TE and if the veteran TEs have offered him any advice)
"I would definitely say attention to detail. That’s not something just solely for a tight end, it’s just the NFL in general. The attention to detail, for everybody, has to be on par with all the 10 other players on the team, if you’re wanting to succeed as best as you can as a defense or an offense. So, whether it’s the depth on a route, or a hand placement on a blocking, or leverage – attention to detail is definitely something that I have been having to put a lot of emphasis on and just trying to get to the best place I can be.”

(On what the mood of the TE room is like)
"It’s serious when we’ve got to be, but whenever football is not on the mind, completely, it’s just a bunch of dudes in there just having fun, enjoying each other’s company and just building relationships. So, you know, we’ve got all types of personalities in there, but just a group that works well overall together, really well. I couldn’t have been blessed with a better tight end group.”

(On if he has been surprised by anything since coming into the NFL)
"Honestly, no (laughs). There is not really anything that has surprised me so far. I think that is a testament to the amount of preparation that I put in before I got here – just the mental preparation, as well as just knowing that, OK, this is going to be a new environment, new system. I’m going to have to adapt and you just have to be willing to put the work in. So, I think a lot of mental prep kind of allowed me not to be surprised. Things were definitely different than I had anticipated, I’d say, but different in really good ways. I think just being out here in L.A., is really one of the biggest blessings ever. I could have been anywhere, and I got to come out here. So, nothing has really surprised me, yet. I’m sure there will be surprises along the road, but I’m just waiting on them.”

(On how Head Strength Coach Justin Lovett has been helpful in his transition from Purdue to the NFL)
"There definitely has been a lot of familiarity with the routine, as far as workouts and (Head Strength) Coach (Justin) Lovett goes. But you know, I wouldn’t have it any other way. He did a great job at Purdue. I love to see him out here with his whole family. He’s really helping me out as well because you know, just having that past relationship at Purdue, he knows some of the things that I need to work on and just areas of my body that could be a little stronger or just need some more attention. Just having him out here has been a big advantage for me and I look forward to just having him out here on my journey.”

(On the difference he’s noticed among the other tight ends)
"The tight ends, we’ve got all types of talent in the room. Just with the Rams offense and the versatility that it allows to us as an offense to play with at tight end, there’s really everything for us to do. So, whatever the play is or personnel, they’re going to find something for a tight end to do that is just an advantage, having one or two or three on the field. So, everybody’s got their own talents, but when it all comes down to it, we’ve all got to have the same good technique and just discipline when it comes to blocking, catching, just being an all-around dual-threat athlete.”

(On how much of a support system his mom has been during this journey to the NFL)
“I don’t think there’s been a bigger support system other than my mom and my dad. My mom has just been here physical as well, just with everything. Helping me move into places, just getting me whatever I needed to – and I’m not saying she’s been here the whole time, but she’s just helped me with the moving process and just kind of that transition. And then even before that back when I was in college, them just traveling to every game that I had – not every game away, but every home game at least, they were there just to show their support. All of the love that I have from my family has really pushed me to get me to where I am today. So, I thank them for that.”

(On his mom’s plans to watch him walk onto the field for the first time in the NFL, what that means to him and if she has discussed plans with him on how she intends to watch his first NFL game)
“Not yet. I’m sure you might see her sneaking in or hoping a fence or something on gameday, just trying to get in there. But if she doesn’t get in, she’ll find a nice little spot just to be able to see. Just being in California, where I’m at, and just being able to see me after the game is enough for her. So, I think she’ll find some way to be content with however she is watching it.”

LB LEONARD FLOYD
(On how practice is going)
"It was pretty good, getting out there, getting some good looks from going against the No. 1 offense. Had fun out there.”

(On what he thinks he brings to the defense)
"I think I bring versatility – a guy that can do it all, anything the defense needs me to do – set the edge in the run, rush the passer and help out in coverage.”

(On what it’s like working with DL Aaron Donald)
"It’s been fun, man. It’s been exciting just lining up across from him and just getting a feel on how he rushes and how I can complement him with my rush.”

(On any surprises being on the field with Donald)
"He’s the real deal and he shows it every day at practice. I can’t name a play where he took one off, he’s always going hard.”

(On if it’s the same defensive system he ran in Chicago specific to the OLcool smiley
"Yes sir, it’s familiar other than the language. We’ve got different language as far as the calls and stuff we make.”

(On how he feels about a leadership role and teaching younger players)
"I’m embracing it. Trying to teach them and show them some of the things that I’ve learned and some of the things we can do things better at.”

(On if he had any leaders when he first came in the league)
"When I got to the league, I can in with a room full of veterans – I had veterans like (Ravens OLcool smiley Pernell McPhee, (former Bears OLcool smiley Willie Young, (former OLcool smiley Sam Acho and yeah they took me under their wing and showed me a lot of things.”

(On joining a new team and how he went about establishing himself)
"I’m taking it one day at a time and just let whatever happens, happen. I’m going to be able to help the team win and I’m going to do whatever I can to make that happen.”

(On how it is playing with OLBs Samson Ebukam and Terrell Lewis)
"It’s been great, man. They’re both good guys. They know their stuff, both of them study hard. They go out and execute.”

(On his confidence level in the OLBs getting sacks this year)
"I’m very confident. We’re just going to take it one game at a time and execute our game plan for that week and see where it goes from there.”

(On what it’s like working with Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley and what he learned from working with him in Chicago)
"It’s awesome being back up under his tutelage. He’s a guy that brings energy, he’s a motivator. He brings it every day, no matter what we’re going through. It gives guys the drive to go out and practice hard and work hard for the team.”

(On if he noticed anything about OLB Terrell Lewis’ size the first time he saw him in person)
"I actually worked out with (OLcool smiley Terrell (Lewis) over the offseason. I had a good idea of his size. He’s a big rookie. I’m looking forward to him going out there and making plays.”

(On his favorite pass rushing moves and also what Ebukam’s strengths as a pass rusher are)
"I can’t give you all my information (laughs). All the offensive linemen be studying everything. I can’t give you that answer, I’m sorry.”

(On if he thinks he and Ebukam complement each other)
"Oh yeah, I definitely do. But time will tell as soon as we get in these real, live game situations how it all works out.”

(On S John Johnson III saying that defensively the Rams have better personnel than Staley has previously had)
"Yeah, that shows how confident he feels about the defense. You’ve just got to take it one game at a time and not look too far ahead and go out and execute at a high level.”

(On if he’s confident the Rams can be a top-10 defense)
"I’m very confident, I’m very confident with that. Very confident.”

(On Head Coach Sean McVay talking about Floyd’s stats in Chicago not reflecting his productivity)
"Basically, it’s a lot of times where I was close. I’ve been very close to making that play, or extra play for the team. It’s just as simple as that. I’ve been close and I feel like here in L.A., I want to get there.”

(On why he wants to get there more than in the past)
"Different team, different players on the defense with me. Also, got to have faith. I believe here in L.A., I’m going to get there.”

TE GERALD EVERETT

(On his preparation going into the season)
"Camp is going pretty good for me, as well as the team. I would say, just developing more and getting more and more familiar with the system and the intricacies and just been able to play different spots like (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) wants and like I've always wanted. I'm happy and I'm happy to be here."

(On foreseeing a bigger role for the tight ends)
"Definitely, with us going to 12 personnel more often. I like to think that we'd have more extended roles, but (when) game time come, we'll all see."

(On thinking about his final year of his contract)
"I don't really worry about contract talks. You know, we started off as kids playing this game for free and as we've been blessed to keep playing over college and professionally now, everything's inevitable and everything will happen when it's time."

(On how his relationship with QB Jared Goff has grown)
"In my opinion, I would just say that, that relationship will just keep growing with winning games and with more and more practices under our belts together and just years of developing chemistry, a friendship and a brotherhood here in LA and with the Rams. You know, like games like the Chiefs and Seattle and New Orleans and the NFC Championship game and even the Super Bowl. Just being in those moments together, definitely brings us closer together as a group and as a quarterback and receiver relationship."

(On him and TE Tyler Higbee being safety blankets and if it’s a point of pride for them)
"That and a lot more. I feel like we serve as more than just safety blankets, especially on this offensive team. We block, we run, whatever we're asked to do, we're going to do it to our best capabilities and we definitely take pride in that aspect, but just being at wherever we need to be for the team."

(On elaborating more on the tight ends and being a versatile group)
"Definitely, definitely. Everyone in our room knows what's expected of each individual and each person in our unit. We all hold each other to a high standard each and every day and it's going to do nothing but continue to grow and we're going to become closer with each other and with the offense and even with the team. As far as safety blankets, I wouldn't use that term, but just being complete tight ends, being wherever we need to be and being able to do anything that's asked."

(On how important it is to be productive while in 12 personnel)
"I think in this business, every snap should be productive, or everyone should want to be productive on each and every snap. It's a blessing to be playing football professionally and it's just putting your best foot forward for the team and yourself. Of course, we want to go out there and win each snap and each game."

(On having ups and downs last season)
"The NFL is season is always going to be up and down. You just have to remain even and just stay the course and just continue to identify weaknesses in yourself and work on those weaknesses and just keep coming to work with the same positive mentality and want to get better and just be a complete pro and that's what we do here every day and that's what I do. I don't see that changing in the near future."

(On physically and mentally preparing for the offensive scheme)
"Just attacking it whole-heartedly and just being a sponge and soaking everything up, looking over it when you go home. Just like the college days when we were students, we're still students, just of the game of football now and just trying to learn the different ins and outs and cutting edges, just trying to figure out different ways to make ourselves better. But, me personally, just trying to figure out ways to be more efficient and less wasted movements and to be as powerful and explosive as I can and build on my strengths but also attack my weaknesses."

(On his Twitter post about waiting on a decision)
"That was about the season. We know that the virus was going to be here and probably wasn't going to go anywhere any time soon. We knew that we were going to report to camp and we knew we were going to have to practice, we knew we were going to be here. Everyone was waiting around to see if the season was going to happen, but with the resources that the NFL has, I feel like the answer was already made, so we were just waiting around for nothing really, in my opinion."

(On people reacting as if he was feeling uncomfortable going into his contract year from that tweet)
"No, no, not at all. It's always fun to play around, though (laughs). I'm happy to be a Ram and if this wasn't the last year of my contract, I'd still would attack it with the same mindset each and every day."

(On his impression on TE Brycen Hopkins)
"He's a good athlete and an even better person who's only going to get better. In this offense and on this team, I'm glad that he's here and a teammate of mine and a good brother of mine, that we've already embraced him as a younger brother in our room and on this team. I can't wait to experience these great memories with him."
--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, TE Brycen Hopkins, LB Leonard Floyd, TE Gerald Everett - Media Availability - September 1, 2020 HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

Shaky377September 02, 2020 12:55AM