Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, S Terrell Burgess – Media Availability – August 26, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

August 26, 2020 12:59PM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, S Terrell Burgess – Media Availability – August 26, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay

(On if DL Aaron Donald was given a veteran’s day off)
"It’s a vets day off. We needed to give some of those interior linemen a breather.”

(On what will be focused on and emphasized in the upcoming scrimmage)
“What we’ll do is, we’re going to do everything that the 12th of September would entail in terms of — we’ll go the new team hotel, that’ll be new this year. Getting the players familiar with driving to the stadium so that by the time the (Sept.) 13th rolls around, there’s at least a comfort and try to establish a form of normalcy with their rhythm and routine at a new stadium. So, we’ll do all of that. We’ll go through our normal pregame warmups, we’ll get to the stadium early like we would for the 5:20 p.m. kickoff against the (Dallas) Cowboys. We’ll do it at 1 p.m., though so we’re not waiting around for it. Then, we’ll get a bunch of different situations. We’ll get a lot of our first group guys a lot of that work early on in the scrimmage and then really focus on getting some of our other guys we want to evaluate that work towards the latter half. So, it’ll be a little bit different format than what last week was, but it will mimic and emulate truly what a game day will feel like in terms of getting to the actual start of it with the warmups. You even take something for granted, like just the pregame warmup routine warming up on one side of the field and guys knowing where to go and what to do and how to handle all that. So, try to make the 13th as seamless as possible by going through a dry-run like this.”

(On if there is a message to the young players about the importance of this scrimmage)
“I don’t think you really have to. They understand everything is evaluated. Everything that we’re doing is evaluated and we try to create very similar situations in practice every single day. Especially, when you’re in training-camp mode and mentality. The only difference that the scrimmage has is we’ve got a couple of those periods that, like you saw last week, are live where some of these younger guys are tackling. But, everything that we’re doing is evaluated. It’s important. The thing that the preseason, or even practicing against somebody else — the monotony of going against the same guys and seeing some on the similar schemes, that’s what makes it a little bit more difficult to evaluate. It certainly isn’t an excuse, but the benefit of going against other opponents, whether it be through practice settings when you get together with another team, or just the preseason games — that’s what’s beneficial. But, it certainly isn’t going to be an excuse for us.”

(On if the scrimmage will be more like a real game situation)
“It won’t be quite as long. We got more plays that I even hoped for last week. There will be a little bit less action, but it will be a sharp, crisp operation. Like I said, the main difference that you’ll notice is that the majority of our guys that are in that starter kind of mode, will end up getting a lot of their work early on. We’ll try to get them a bunch of snaps early on in the scrimmage.”

(On if he’s noticed about any intention about Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley is about his language in the meeting rooms)
“Are you talking good language? Bad Language? (Laughs) This is a sensitive subject in the McVay household given the fact that I get reamed by my mom every single week when Hard Knocks airs. I take that very seriously, I’m trying to watch it. To answer your question, I know what you’re asking. When you talk about a coach, you’re really a teacher. Great teachers are great communicators. That’s not just exclusive to transmitting information, it’s listening as well. One of the things that I think is really special about (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley) is he’s got great capacity and great ability to communicate with what he’s looking for and give that clarity. But, he’s also very intentful about listening to the players. When you’ve got guys like the (CB Jalen) Ramseys, the (S) John Johnso’s (III), (DL) Aaron (Donald), (DL Michael) Brockers, you know (Lcool smiley Leonard Floyds, that have played a lot of football, their ownership is very important and I think he does a great job of being able to balance exactly what he’s looking for, while also trying to see it through the lens of the players.”

(On how confident he is that a new deal will be in place at the start of the season for CB Jalen Ramsey or any concern if there wasn’t one in place)
“I think those are things that we’re working through. He’s got a great agent that has been really good to work with. Obviously, Jalen is focused on playing football. Those are things that we’re trying to handle kind of behind the scenes if you will. But the one thing I think we all know is, Jalen is so refreshingly secure in himself and confident that it would be great if it gets done, but also, you know this guy’s not going to be distracted by whether it is or isn’t done. He’s going to go out and try to continue to demonstrate why he’s one of the best in the league at what he does.”

(On whether he would have any personal concern about a player’s mindset in that situation)
“I have concerns about a lot of things in this role (laughs). But, Jalen is one of those guys that I think you’ve gotten the feel for. I don’t get the feeling that he will let anything really deter from his ability to play football. He’s the epitome of a competitor and I don’t see that being an issue. But, it is something that we’d like to be able to work through.”

(On what he has noticed about Ramsey’s leadership off the field)
“I think the more you get to know him, the more impressed you are. We mentioned this in the offseason, but being able to be around him, he has a great heart to be able to do that kind of stuff. His daughters that he loves dearly, he’s a great father to them. The more that I get to know him, the more I’m enjoying just being around the human being. Then you see what he’s doing day in and day out at practice, I’ve never seen anything like it. So, it’s really impressive and we’re very very fortunate that he’s on our team. I can’t say enough good things about him right now, with what he’s doing on, off the field and all those things. He’s been great.”

(On any timetable on a decision on a kicker or whether he will hold on to all three for as long as he can)
“Yeah, I think so. That’s a really important part of what we’re evaluating right now. All three guys bring certain things to the table. That’s another thing, it’s how many different pressure situations can you try to create in these practice settings to truly evaluate guys that are younger players. You’ve got a rookie and some other guys that don’t have a whole lot of experience at this level, but I think they’ve done a nice job. Coach Bonamego (Special Teams Coordinator John Bonamego) has been excellent leading the way for them. To be able to have a consistent operation, when you’re talking about (LS Jake) McQuaide and (P Johnny) Hekker as your long-snapper and holder, I think is something that definitely is going to be an instrumental part to their success. Everybody always attributes the misses or the makes to the kicker, but it truly is a reflection of the entire operation with the snap, the hold and the kick. That’s why you feel so good about two of those three parts being reflective of true consistency over the last handful of the years. We’ll see if one of these guys starts to really separate themselves from the other two.”

(On whether a kicker will be placed on the practice squad)
“That’s a possibility, it’s something you can look into just given the fact that they’re expanding the practice squad rosters. Those will be decisions we’re certainly not in a rush to make and we’re going to use every day that we have to really evaluate them.”

(On if he will use two kickers, one for field goals and one for kickoffs, if needed)
“That’s always a part of the consideration. I think the ideal approach is to be able to have a guy that can do both. Just because of how minimal, even though you have the ability to have 48 guys up this year on the game-day roster, you want to be able to try to have that guy be able to do both, unless you’re in a situation when your punter ends up kicking off. We’ll let Hekker continue to be the best at what he’s doing with punting and holding.”

(On S Taylor Rapp being out on the field in a jersey is a positive sign)
“That was a positive sign to see him out there and moving around. That’s exactly in alignment with what we hoped and I think we’ll just see a progressive build from here on out.”

(On if the same approach applies to RB Darrell Henderson Jr.)
“Yep. You’re exactly right. Those are guys that we’re just taking a day at a time. But, anything that they’re able to do a little bit more than the previous day is a step in the right direction, and that’s what today represented for both those guys.”

(On any players that stood out in practice today)
“There was a lot of good things from individuals. I thought (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) had some good decisive decisions, being able to work through progressions, get to guys on some of the back side of these concepts. But until I really watch the tape, it’s hard to say. I thought our defensive front, they did a nice job. (DL Greg) Gaines and ‘Brock’ showed up a handful of times. But, until I go back and watch it, it’s hard to say.”

S Terrell Burgess

(On how practice was for him today)
“It was good. It was hot outside, a little bit, but it went really well. I think the situation – both offense and defense, we handled pretty well. We just got to keep building each and every day.”

(On if the situational drills during practice make’s it fun for them)
“Oh definitely, definitely. It definitely gives us insight. Kind of gives us like a game-like experience so we can be able to handle situations when they come when the game starts.”

(On how its been for him getting extra practice reps)
“Kind of has to speed up your learning process. Kind of, you just got to get ready to get out there and play with the veterans that are ready to go this season. I think a lot of them expect you to step up when you get out there, so you just got to limit the mistakes and keep building every day, so that you can play the best of your abilities as well as they are.”

(On a learning curve in person after a digital offseason)
“It was definitely hard to learn on Zoom. I’ll be honest with you, I definitely realized, I don’t want to sit in front of a desk any time soon. But, at the same time it was a learning experience, but once we got here and able to learn in the building, I was glad. I think in the beginning it was, you know, kind of playing catch-up, but now it’s kind of just hitting the ground running and doing your best.”

(On where he stands with the process of learning and preparing for practice)
“I feel like you got to think every play, but you also got to go out there and play fast. So, I think, when I say learning process, I kind of just meant it’s definitely a lot different to learn when you’re watching somebody on Zoom, than when they’re standing 10 feet in front of you teaching the plays. I think every play you have to go out there and think about your assignment before it goes, but you also got to go out there and play fast, because the offense is not going to wait for you to be like, ‘Oh wait, wait’. So, you just have to go out there and play.”

(On what defensive backs have been resourceful for him throughout training camp)
“Honestly, I feel like you can learn something from anybody. Obviously, the veterans like (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey), and ‘J.J.’ (S John Johnson lll). I’ve been able to learn from everybody, even the rookies from last year like (Ccool smiley David Long (Jr.)and (S) Nick Scott. I’ve been able to learn from everybody, take bits and pieces from everybody to help it transition to my game, so I can play the best of my abilities.”

(On if he’s been in contact with former Safety Eric Weddle)
“A little bit. Yeah, I talked to him this week. He’s doing well. I talked to him a little bit. You know, I’m excited to be able to learn from him as well and just keep moving forward.”

(On anything specific Weddle has helped with)
“Specifically, no. I wouldn’t say specifically, kind of just made sure that I had my head on straight and just learning everyday, because you have to learn fast in this league because nobody’s going to wait for you to be honest with you.”

(On his relationship with S Jordan Fuller and if he leans on him for guidance)
“Oh 100 percent. He’s definitely my guy on the team. We met a few months ago at the combine. I wouldn’t have known that we would be on the same team, but now it’s nice to be able to play along side with him and learn from him as well as him learning from me and just keep building with each other. He’s a good guy and I’m glad to be able to play with him.”

(On how much they got to know each other at the NFL Scouting Combine)
“I wouldn’t say I spent much time with him, because I had a few of my teammates with me at the combine as well, so I was able to lean on them if I needed anything. But, we spent a little time together when we were on the field during the workout. I think we just talked a little bit. Not too much, but just able to get a feel for each other, not knowing that this would happen though, obviously.”

(On how different training camp has been with COVID-19 and if he envisioned his transition to the pro level being like this)
“I think, different I would say from the fact of not having people watching every practice. Besides that I still have to go out there and do my job and do what I can to earn my teammate’s trust. So, I think the only difference will be just people watching around practice just like college. Other than that, I’m ready to go out there and hit the ground running.”

(On if he has gotten to know all of his teammates on the same level given split locker rooms for social distancing)
“I try and do my best to get to know everybody, whoever I come in contact with. I definitely think it’s different with the split locker room, but being on the practice field, I try and ask people their names as well as ask something about them, just to make sure that I’m being able to get to know everybody if, that makes sense.”

(On one technique he’s learned while playing with the starters that he didn’t know prior to playing on the pro level)
“I don’t know if this is technique-wise, but scheme-wise, I never played coverage before I came to the NFL. Playing quarters is a difficult thing, but you have to keep building and just learn and play fast. So, that’s one thing I’d say. That’s scheme-wise that’s not technique-wise.”

(On if he’s been keeping in contact with his former Utah teammates that were drafted)
“Yeah, I talk to them pretty frequently. Obviously, we’re all in camp, but we probably talk a couple times a week just to make sure we’re saying up, learning from each other. Still talking to make sure that we’re still playing the best of our abilities around the country.”

(On how it will feel playing with no fans at SoFi to start the season)
“Honestly, I haven’t thought about it too much. Obviously, I’ve never played a football game in front of nobody in general. But, going into the stadium last Saturday and hearing how loud the crowd noise we had and how loud the stadium is with just the noise of the surround sound, I guess. It was still pretty loud. Once we start playing, I don’t look in the stands anyway to hear the fans, so I think it’ll be just normal. Who knows?”

(On if he expected family to attend his games and will they be allowed to visit under the new restrictions)
“I don’t think it’ll be allowed. I don’t really know all the restrictions. I definitely did expect my family to come up since I’m not from too far from here, but if they can’t come up they can still watch it on TV. I’m going to advocate for that, for sure.”

(On if he’s heard from his family the announcement was made)
“Yeah, my mom called me last night. She wasn’t too happy about it, but you got to do what you got to do to stay safe.”
--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, S Terrell Burgess – Media Availability – August 26, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

Shaky364August 26, 2020 12:59PM