Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay, LB Micah Kiser - Media Availability - August 21, 2020

August 22, 2020 06:20AM
TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Sean McVay, LB Micah Kiser - Media Availability - August 21, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On whether the end of practice was any different than usual)
"No, that's been pretty standard. What we did was we were kicking field goals after and did a little developmental period. We had a couple two-minute situations and definitely wasn't the way we expect to execute offensively. Defensively, did a very nice job. So, two-minute represented the end of practice, but then, it was a quick call up because we got field goals and developmental work after that. We wanted to be mindful of just getting in and out and getting our work done. That was the way we ended practice."

(On the kicking competition)
"Yeah, those guys are doing a nice job. Tomorrow will represent an opportunity really for all three guys to kick. We've basically gone (with) two (players) kick one day and one's resting. It's been a consistent rhythm. Today was a good day for those guys. (K) Sam (Sloman) and (K) Austin (MacGinnis) ended up kicking and then we'll get a chance to see all three of them tomorrow."

(On any update on CB Jalen Ramsey's contract situation)
"No, no updates there. No updates on any of that stuff."

(On LB Micah Kiser's performance in camp)
"We've got good competition at the inside linebacker spot. (Assistant Head Coach / Linebackers Coach) Joe Barry's done a really nice job, but (Lcool smiley Micah (Kiser) has been a guy who has done a lot of nice things. You see the instincts, you see the awareness. Great communication ability. Been attacking at the football, he's forced a couple out with some good attempts that our guys are coaching really hard. His feel for the game, he's got an innate feel. Football makes sense to him and it's been good to see him out here healthy and we're optimistic that he's going to be a big contributor this year."

(On any concern about losing LB Cory Littleton)
"Yeah, (Lcool smiley Cory (Littleton) was a great player. I mean, you talk about the epitome of the three-down linebacker that can do a little bit of everything. He can blitz, he's great in run support. He was excellent in coverage, forced a lot of turnovers. You don't really replace guys like that. Guys are going to be asked to step up. We've got a young group there who doesn't have a lot of experience, but we have a great coach in Joe Barry who's done an excellent job helping guys develop. Before, Cory made a name on special teams and then ascended into an All-Pro caliber player at the inside linebacker position. We're hopeful that Joe will be able to put his arm around some of these guys and help them continue to develop and become big-time players for us."

(On how much the scrimmage will emulate a real game)
"It will be similar. Basically, what we'll do is, we'll have some different situational stuff set up where we want to get at least eight or 10 plays in this sequence. Then we'll have a phase of special teams in between it. We'll get some good 1’s-on-1's competitive work a lot of the time, but we'll also get a chance to evaluate some developmental guys that will we'll look to play some live ball with. But, we're finalizing that. I wanted to wait to put the final touches on tomorrow's schedule once we got the injury report from today. It'll basically be a lot of different situations where we'll try to hit, you know, probably 65-70 plays and we'll hit every phase of special teams. A couple of them we'll hit more than once."

(On if he's been surprised by the performance of S Jordan Fuller and S Terrell Burgess)
"Yeah, they've done a really nice job. I wouldn't say I'm surprised, these guys were high football IQ guys, great character, really smart, had all those intangibles that enable you to seamless step in and do a great job. The game's not too big for either of these players. They've shown that from Day 1. Certainly, you'd like to have that offseason work, but I think they found a way to maximize the offseason with the parameters and some of the restrictions that we had. Those are guys we're definitely counting on this year."

(On how he is addressing special teams without having the preseason to prepare)
"You know, (Special Teams Coordinator) John Bonamego's been a great special teams coordinator in this league for a long time. So, his leadership is something that in a lot of ways, you defer to making sure that you're allocating the appropriate practice time for him to get everything that he needs workwise for all the different phases. We know the ones that we spend the a little bit more emphasis on, but he's done a nice job progressing these guys with the drills, segments then being able to put together full coverage units, full return units, our field goal and our field goal block operations. Tomorrow will really represent a good opportunity to get all those phases on tape in some full-speed settings where we won't tackle. He's done a nice job and like you said, everybody's operating under the same parameters, so I feel really good about the leadership from him."

(On if the offense was playing to their full potential in practice)
"It was the way that it ended. In the two-minute situation, we were playing for a touchdown, we turned it over and then we ended up not really knowing how to handle it with the second group. Some at the end of the game, when the clock's running down and change the personnel grouping and you end up trying to get some of these end of the game plays, and we had a lot of guys that panicked, frankly. Those are situations that you never want to see on one side of the football and that's where guys have to learn from it and that's part of why you practice. Those things will not be tolerated from us and it's not good enough. But, great job by the defense."

(On whether Kiser is in a competition for a starting position)
"We've got four guys that are playing and we're rotating them in and out. When you look at Micah (Kiser), (Lcool smiley T (Travin) Howard, (Lcool smiley Kenny (Young), (Lcool smiley Troy Reeder, all those guys have gotten a lot of action. We're evaluating them. Everybody's competing and we'll see how this thing shakes out over the next few weeks."

(On if it's been tough balancing reps between the quarterbacks)
"It's a good question. It is a challenge because especially when you're down to 80 (players on the active roster), you want to make sure you're allocating all the reps to the 1's and 2's, but not be blind to the fact that some of these other guys need an opportunity to shine and show what they've got. So, with (Qcool smiley Bryce (Perkins) and (Qcool smiley Josh Love, those are guys that we'll look to get them a couple of opportunities to compete a little bit tomorrow and continue to try and find creative ways for them to show their stuff. But, the majority of the reps are definitely going to go to (Qcool smiley John (Wolford) and to (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff)."

(On how much of Saturday's scrimmage is getting a sense of the new stadium)
"It is. Every day runs together for me right now, it was probably about a month and a half ago that I was there. It was right after they had put the turf down, whatever date that was, I was there just doing a couple things. The stadium is incredible. It's even more amazing than I could have ever anticipated. It's been awesome, the few times that I have been over there since it's gotten to completion. But, tomorrow is about that, and it's as much as being able to compete. The (August) 29th will truly reflect going through everything that your normal gameday would entail, as far as your pregame routine and all that kind of stuff. Tomorrow will be a warmup to that if you will, where guys are just getting a feel for the stadium and the locker room and all that stuff. But, the 29th will be that true dress rehearsal. Tomorrow will be a modified version of that."

(On if there will be any special emphasis in warmups to focus on adjusting to a new playing surface)
"Not necessarily, but there is a different rhythm that guys have for their games. As far as how many hours before the game you like to get there, what your stretch routine (is), what your pregame (is), before the pregame — I think you want to allow guys to get into their comfortable rhythm so their first time they're doing it isn't September 13. You're mindful of the surface change, but it doesn't necessarily change the way you go about your rhythm and routine and your warmup procedure and process and that's what the (August) 29 will be very valuable for."

(On if he's surprised QB Blake Bortles hasn't signed with a new team)
"I am surprised, just because he's played a lot of good football in this league. You hope for the best. I have not had much dialogue with anybody else about him, but I am surprised that he is not on a team right now."

LB Micah Kiser

(On how practice has been for him in the last few days)
"Its been going pretty well. I think we're getting better every day on defense, we're communicating well, we're really starting to understand what (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Brandon) Staley wants out of us. We’ve been having fun. I'm just happy to be back playing football and to be with the guys."

(On what this last year has been like for him since his last injury)
"Yeah, it's been pretty tough mentally, but, you know, I did everything I could really can to stay involved. I was around the building pretty much all year sitting in meetings and then really focused in on my body and on my health. I'm back and I'm ready to play."

(On how his last injury happened)
Yeah, I think its just like a freak, you know, incident. Just a regular tackle, and just everything just ripped off the pec I can't really explain it, but it happens and God gave me that, challenge and I been working to get over it. A lot of people in this organization has really helped me with that. I'm just happy to be back and just thankful for this opportunity."

(On if he knew how serious his last injury was or if it would knock him out)
"It felt pretty serious. You know, it happened. I stayed in the game for four more plays kind of but I just really couldn't run, couldn't really move anything. They finally took me out. It felt pretty serious at the time. Five months is a long recovery, but I stayed at it, stayed focus, and I'm just ready to show what I got."

(Clarification on if he stayed in the game for four more plays after tearing his peck)
"Yeah. At the time competing with (former player DL) Bryce (Hager) really to kind of get a lot of playing time last year, So I was like, I'm not trying to waist this opportunity. So, they were going to have to pull me out of the game for me to come out. I was ready to go out on my shield, but you know, it happened and I'm just happy to be back."

(On how he balances being at the top of his game but not pushing himself too hard for re-injury)
"Yeah, the Rams, they have the best, rehab staff and medical staff. (Senior Director of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and me working with (Assistant Athletic Trainer) Jon Hernandez, me working with (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach) Dustin Woods and doing nutrition with (Head Team Dietitian) Joey (Blake). They took over an approach with me and really showed me a lot of love. So, you know I had a program. I stuck to it. I'm trying to have a (WR) Cooper Kupp kind of comeback season. You see what Cooper did after his injury, and I'm just trying to do that myself."

(On how the level of intensity has been with pads and where do they draw the line so that players are not injured)
"I think if you watch the Rams and the way we practice, we practice pretty smart. Obviously it's is a physical game, but at the end of the day, the guys that we're going against, we need them on Sunday. You're not going to win any games right now. We need everybody to make it to the game. Playing hard and fast, but at the same time you got to take care of your teammates. We work hard, we work smart, and we push each other, but at the end of the day that's your teammates."

(On if he's looking forward to practicing at SoFi stadium and what does he look to accomplish in the first scrimmage)
"Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I haven't been there since my rookie year. We kind of all took a visit there. So, I haven't really been able to see it. Just to get in there, feel what it's like, kind of get use to the surface. I know it's turf, which is a little bit different for a lot of guys playing on. That will be an adjustment. But you know, just get in there, feel the vibes, like see if we can come together and play together and communicate like it's game day. It'll be a really good test to see where we are right now."

(On if the pandemic had an impact on his recovery process)
"I was pretty much clear by then. So, I was just like everybody else, adjusting and just going really hard in the garage. I have a little garage workout facility. Me and my girlfriend, we really got after it. I cut down a good amount of weight and just got ready to play. Everybody else is going through it so it's just another challenge really."

(On if he learned anything mentally that he can take forward with him)
"Yeah, I guess, the easiest thing was just to feel sorry for myself. But, it took a while to get over that, honestly. Going to the games was really tough knowing like, man I wish I can be out there, and just not really being in the thick of it, not really being in the hox whole. That's the kind of guy I am. So, you know, that hurt. But just trying to get over the feeling of feeling down on myself and feeling sorry for myself. You know, the Rams, they provide a lot of great mental health work with Ms. Kerri. I met with her every week, she was great. Great resource for me, and I thank her a lot. Yeah, just happy I made it over that and I'm just glad to play football again."

(Clarification on if he saw a sports psychiatrist)
"Yeah, yeah. That's a great resource that I'm, glad that the Rams have in this building and she's very valuable."

(On how important his reps has been as a leader and what the communication has been like with defensive coordinator Brandon Staley)
"Yeah, well last year even know I didn't play I, feel like I got like ten thousand mental reps. So, I always tell guys, like even if you're not in, like you can still get a lot of reps. So, just me being here, being in the building, my football and football smarts never really dipped off at all because I was always in the meetings and super engaged. So, you know, being engaged and then carrying that over to this year and getting a really good grasp of what coach Staley wants and how he wants everything to be played. It's been great having (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers) Joe (Barry), as a linebackers coach. Having him, this will be my third year with him. Understanding how he wants things, its been very smooth and I think we're doing a great job of communicating from the D-line, to linebackers, to safeties and corners. I think we're so far on the same page a lot of the time. So, that's what it's all about, which is communicating and having trust in each other. I think we'll only get better. This is really like our second, third week, actually being coached hands-on by Coach Staley, which is wild if you kind see where we are. You know, we did everything virtually, but we have a lot of stuff in. It really hasn't been a lot of slippage and I think we're happy where we are right now, but we're just getting started."

(On if he's noticed having a little bit more space and freedom to run when guys are being screened at practice)
"Well, I mean if you look at our front, you have guys like (DL Michael) Brockers, (DL) Aaron Donald, (OLcool smiley Leonard (Floyd), (OLcool smiley Samson (Ebukam), (OLcool smiley Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, (DL) Sebastian Joseph-Day, (DL) Greg Gaines, (DL Morgan) Fox. We have a great D-line, really long guys and it just allows the linebackers to play really fast and play off of them. I'm happy to be playing behind those guys."

(On things he's been working on to be more productive and a better player this season)
"Yeah, I think I spent a lot time in the offseason working on my change of direction. Being able to play better in space, being able to make plays on the ball. Being able to pass rush and do all kinds of different things. I really want to be a complete linebacker. I think that's one thing that, (former Rams DL) Cory (Littleton) being gone, like that's one thing where we can't have any slippage, is just being a complete linebacker and being able to do things on first, second and third down. So, yeah, that's one thing I definitely took away from him. Just being super flexible and being able to, whatever they ask you to do, just be able to do it. So, that's definitely what I've been working on."

(On if he feels that the linebacker group is under the microscope for being so young)
"I don't really look at it that way. It's an opportunity, we're coming in. I think one of the great things about the Rams is its always been an environment of helping each other out and teaching everybody and just paying your knowledge forward. I think the guys that came before us just did a great job just kind of mentoring us, whether it was (former players) Cory Littleton, you know, (Lcool smiley Bryce Hager, (S) Mark Barron when I was here. Just guys that I could really kind of sponge off of and take a lot of knowledge from. I think we're just grateful for the opportunity and we're all ready to step in. We're pulling for each other and I think we're going to have a great season."
--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky292August 22, 2020 06:20AM

TRANSCRIPT: OL Brian Allen, OL Joe Noteboom - Media Availability - August 21, 2020

Shaky202August 22, 2020 06:21AM

Allen's rehab behind Noteboom's

JimYoungblood53128August 22, 2020 09:13AM

Two things...

Rams43134August 22, 2020 08:52AM