Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Brandon Staley: Rams rookies not at disadvantage without preseason...

August 17, 2020 08:16AM
Brandon Staley: Rams rookies not at disadvantage without preseason

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

The transition from college to the NFL can be extremely difficult for players, especially at positions such as tight end, edge rusher and in the secondary. That jump to the pros is made even more challenging when OTAs, minicamps and the preseason are canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

For all teams, training camp was the coaching staff’s first opportunity to see their rookies on a practice field in person. That would seem to put those first-year players at a disadvantage compared to their veteran counterparts, especially ones competing for starting jobs or roster spots.

The Rams don’t see it that way, though.

Defensive coordinator Brandon Staley doesn’t think rookies are at a disadvantage without a preseason to work through. If a player is good enough to contribute, he’ll get the opportunity to, according to Staley.

“I have heard that, and I can certainly understand that position that people take. I certainly don’t take that position at all. We will have plenty of time to evaluate these players,” Staley said over the weekend. “This process is exactly how it happens in college football. Exactly how it happens, you don’t have preseason games to evaluate your players. You have practice to evaluate your players. So, I don’t agree with that position, me personally. I think that we will be able to get these guys ready to play if they are good enough. And that is just how the NFL, or any other level. If they are good enough then those guys will emerge. They will express themselves and we will get them ready to play. We’ve got a tremendous coaching staff on both sides of the ball and in the kicking game. It is our responsibility to put them through as many experiences as we can before we play in that first game. I know that if a young player is capable of playing, then he will.”

On the defensive side of the ball, Staley has a few rookies to work with, most notably Terrell Burgess and Terrell Lewis – both third-round picks in the draft this year. Both could contribute right away, Burgess as the third safety or nickel corner, and Lewis as a situational pass rusher.

Lewis is even further behind than most rookies after spending more than a week on the reserve/COVID-19 list after testing positive for the coronavirus, missing the early portion of camp. He’ll be available for the padded portion of practices beginning Monday, though, which is the important part.

Rookies will have it tougher than veterans, but at least the Rams will do their best to keep the playing field level for all players.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Brandon Staley: Rams rookies not at disadvantage without preseason...

Rams43231August 17, 2020 08:16AM

Gotta call BS on Staley’s statement here...

Rams43168August 17, 2020 08:20AM