Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Watch: NFL players try to explain AD’s greatness...

July 30, 2020 06:44AM
Watch: NFL players try to explain Aaron Donald's greatness

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Aaron Donald was voted the best player in the NFL last year after a historic 2018 season in which he recorded a league-high 20.5 sacks and 25 tackles for loss. His numbers dipped a bit in 2019, also causing his ranking among the top players in football to drop.

Donald ranked third on this year’s Top 100 Players list, but he remains a dominant force on the interior of the defensive line – someone opposing blockers always have to account for. After his third-place ranking was revealed, the Rams shared a video of players discussing Donald’s greatness.

“Probably still one of the top 10 players in the NFL, if you ask me,” 49ers fullback Kyle Juszczyk said. “Teams have definitely focused more on stopping him and I think that’s led to less production.”

“The NFL is the elite of the elite, but then there’s some guys that are in a league of their own, if that’s even possible. And I think he leads that crew. Usually those guys who belong in a different league end up being Hall of Famers,” tight end Seth DeValve said.

“He’s the best football player I’ve probably ever seen, honestly. There’s nobody like him,” said Saints defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins.

Rankins plays the same position as Donald, so it’s natural for him to watch Donald’s tape often. But he knows No. 99 is in a class of his own with some of the things he can do on the field. That’s the case for most players when watching Donald’s tape because he’s such a unique player.

“I’m always watching his tape and trying to pick up things, but certain things you’ll watch and be like, ‘I mean, I’m good, but I can’t do that,’” Rankins said.

“He has that first step, and the thing is he can change it to power really quick,” Browns guard Joel Bitonio said. “He’s a little bit shorter guy, but he’s so compact and powerful that when he does that, it’s game over.”

One way teams try to slow Donald down is by double-teaming him up front. That doesn’t always work, however, because he still gets to the quarterback early and often.

“You try and get four hands on him as much as possible, get those double-teams going his way. And even when the double-teams come, sometimes he beats the double-team up the field,” Bitonio added.

In addition to being remarkably quick and powerful for a player his size, his technique is outstanding. He’s great with his hand placement and usage, allowing him to fight off blockers and get a good punch on linemen right after the snap.

“His hand placement and strike capability is just off the charts,” Bears nose tackle Akiem Hicks said. “His hands are always in on the breastplate, thumbs up. He’s a technician.”

No. 3 may seem too low for Donald, but he clearly has earned a ton of respect from his peers and is almost universally viewed as the best defensive player in the league.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Watch: NFL players try to explain AD’s greatness...

Rams43222July 30, 2020 06:44AM