Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Andrew Whitworth explains why this is a ‘very tough’ year for rookies...

July 22, 2020 05:05PM
Andrew Whitworth explains why this is a 'really tough' year for NFL rookies

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Andrew Whitworth is 14 years removed from his rookie year in the NFL, so it’s essentially a distant memory for the veteran left tackle. But even though he came into the league in 2006, he knows the challenges of being a rookie.

That experience also gives him some perspective on just how difficult this offseason has been for 2020 draftees and undrafted rookies. With no OTAs or minicamp and all team work limited to vide conference calls, rookies face an especially steep climb toward starting jobs.

Whitworth was on SiriusXM NFL Radio Wednesday and he explained how tough it’ll be for rookies to become starters in 2020 without the benefit of preseason and limited offseason work.

“I think it’s going to be a challenge. I think it’s going to be really tough,” Whitworth said. “It’s one of those things where veteran leadership and your vets around the team – obviously there’s going to be a lot of things going on all over the place – but hopefully you’ll have a chance to lean on those guys and help them as much as possible, not just with the physical side and mental side of football, but also just the mental side of everything going on outside of football.”

This has been an offseason unlike any other as a result of the coronavirus and the civil unrest stemming from the killing of George Floyd, which has sparked an especially powerful Black Lives Matter movement. Whitworth and other veterans have been part of that movement, while also providing guidance to the Rams’ younger players.

He’s talked to rookies and tried to help them get acclimated to the pressure of the NFL, especially in today’s climate.

“All football players know the anxiety and the stress level that it takes to go out and perform every week and perform every day in practice in camp, but also that anxiety level from everything that’s going on around them with their families, with the world,” he added. “That can be a lot on guys so it’s going to be important that we’re making sure we take care of them. I’ve talked to a couple of ours and I realize, man, what a stressful time this is for them and also just a hard time because you think of guys who came into the league in a union dispute or a lockout or a strike or any of that. Obviously those were trying years, and this one is similar in the sense that this is a big debate on what’s the health and safety that’s required and how should it look. And these guys are just kind of stuck in the middle of it wondering what in the world is going on. So I can’t imagine the adjustment it’s going to take for these guys.”

The Rams’ top rookie, Cam Akers, may have the added pressure of trying to fill the shoes of Todd Gurley, who the team cut this offseason. He’ll get help from Darrell Henderson and Malcolm Brown, too, but a lot of the workload could fall on the rookie’s shoulders.

Akers was reportedly a player who stood out in the Rams’ offseason program for his attentiveness and the questions he asked, which is a good sign. But make no mistake: This will be a difficult transition from college to the pros for Akers and the Rams’ other rookies.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Andrew Whitworth explains why this is a ‘very tough’ year for rookies...

Rams43366July 22, 2020 05:05PM

Re: Andrew Whitworth explains why this is a ‘very tough’ year for rookies...

SoCalRAMatic175July 22, 2020 08:25PM

Classicalwit134July 23, 2020 03:16AM

Rams43165July 23, 2020 04:23AM

Re: Rams rookies smartest in league

Steve141July 23, 2020 08:48AM