Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

11 Senior Bowl Who Raised Their Stock...really good stuff

April 26, 2020 07:03PM
8. Terrell Lewis, EDGE, Alabama

As always, there was an Alabama prospect to keep an eye on. More specifically, there was a player on the defensive side of the ball in edge rusher Terrell Lewis. The 6-5, 252-pound outside linebacker finished the 2019 season six sacks and 11.5 tackles for loss in 10 games. The Senior Bowl was his chance to show why his numbers didn’t tell the full story.

He accomplished that early on, winning one-on-one matchups in practices. Lewis’ long arms allowed him to stay clean. His natural speed was evident as he closed in with a quickness. Lewis doesn’t possess the strength at the point of attack to put his hand in the dirt. His potential as a 3-4 outside linebacker is evident.

Thanks to his sped and range, there is something to get excited about with him possibly dropping back in pass coverage. If not for injury concerns, it’s believed that Lewis would be a Day 2 lock thanks to his ability to utilize his length off the edge.

With his Senior Bowl Week performance, he’s sure to get some love heading into the combine. Lewis is scheme-specific and could shoot up draft boards for 3-4 teams thanks to his performance during Senior Bowl week.

5. Van Jefferson, WR, Florida

The top three guys at wide receiver in the 2020 NFL Draft class are Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb and Henry Ruggs III — and deservedly so. But none of them are better route runners than Florida’s Van Jefferson. Of course, when you’re the son of a receivers coach, Jefferson’s ability isn’t too shocking.

Nevertheless, thanks to his ability to separate at the line of scrimmage with nuance, he offers something as a boundary receiver. It also helps that he has adequate size at 6-1, 197 pounds. He does an excellent job setting up defensive backs.

Jefferson isn’t the most explosive receiver. It doesn’t matter though, at least according to Yahoo Sports’ Eric Edholm:

“What matters more is how fast a player plays, and Jefferson checks that box. He ran clean routes and made several smooth grabs on Tuesday and reads like a prospect who will be a better pro than his college production would suggest.”

Jefferson doesn’t need elite speed to win downfield. He has a great snap as he stems his routes and separates using savvy techniques. He’s a plug and play player who can contribute to a team needing a player with veteran-like qualities.

He continues his rise that started with his excellent performance during bowl season. Look for him to be a better pro than a college player and an amazing Day 2 option.

3. Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue

Look at the two teams participating in the Super Bowl. Those teams have something in common on offense, specifically at the tight end position. The Chiefs have arguably the best tight end in the league, Travis Kelce. However, George Kittle isn’t that far behind. With that said, there’s a saying that the NFL is a copycat league — so teams will look for the next great tight end.

Brycen Hopkins worked himself into the TE2 conversation and a Day 2 prospect. Coming into Senior Bowl week, it was clear what Hopkins was not an in-line blocker but he wasn’t taking that lying down, per the Indianapolis Star:

“I came here to prove my physicality, to show that I am a willing blocker and I can stick my head in there a little bit…That’s what they’re looking for in these pro-style offenses. They just want to see a tight end that can widen out, stretch the field and make plays for them, then come down in-line and be a willing blocker.”

Over the course of the week, Hopkins showed that he’s one of the best route runners regardless of his position. The 6-3, 241-pound tight end showed off an elite catch radius. He caught everything thrown his way and displayed insane athleticism.

Hopkins is in the same mold as guys like Charles Clay and Delanie Walker where he’s used as a big slot. Though he can’t be counted out as an in-line option. That all makes him a dangerous weapon in the right system.

beer cheer smiley

[nflspinzone.com]

[www.instagram.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2020 07:11PM by Rampage2K-.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

10 Players Who Improved Their Draft Stock at Senior Bowl

Rampage2K-879April 26, 2020 05:53PM

interesting tidbit on VJ's speed......

Rampage2K-385April 26, 2020 06:09PM

2nd time I've read that... gotta be something there...

JamesJM367April 26, 2020 06:20PM

By speed he means mph

PHDram243April 26, 2020 10:13PM

Usain hit 23.35...

JamesJM209April 26, 2020 10:32PM

Nope. Usain hit 27.79 mph

Suh-weet!294April 27, 2020 12:09AM

Formula for forty time to MPH

ramzilla325April 28, 2020 12:58AM

Game speed vs. 40 speed in shorts and track shoes is different

RockRam346April 27, 2020 01:21AM

other notes from Senior Bowl practices

Rampage2K-380April 26, 2020 06:31PM

I really think 'production' to be one of the worst criteria...

JamesJM273April 26, 2020 06:35PM

Re: I really think 'production' to be one of the worst criteria...

Rampage2K-233April 26, 2020 06:38PM

Exactly. (nm)

JamesJM203April 26, 2020 06:38PM

Re: other notes from Senior Bowl practices

zn349April 26, 2020 06:36PM

Re: other notes from Senior Bowl practices

Rampage2K-253April 26, 2020 06:40PM

11 Senior Bowl Who Raised Their Stock...really good stuff

Rampage2K-343April 26, 2020 07:03PM

These notes and quotes put a smile on my face....

Rampage2K-398April 27, 2020 12:17PM

Feeling a change in the air!

Ram Fan Teacher226April 27, 2020 03:46PM