Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article about GM Draft Pick Trading Tendencies

April 18, 2020 01:23PM
OTC Article

One reason I think gets overlooked frequently in regards to draft picks and draft pick trades is fit. This fit is often based on scheme and (or) personal preference. Personal preference being things like great 3 cone, no behavioral issues, good Senior Bowl, experienced 4 year starter, etc. I especially see this with offensive lineman--and thanks to the board draft guys for discussing that.

One example in this draft for the Rams is the X WR. Let's compare two X receivers with a chance to be there at 52. Tee Higgins vs Michael Pittman. Goff, in a recent interview, mentioned how they customized certain plays, ran more of certain plays for Gurley and Cooks. That was one of the most informative things I've read in a while. And brings us to compare these two players.

Both Pittman and Higgins lack pure deep 40 speed. Cooks was a 4.33, Pittman is a 4.52, and Higgins a 4.43(pro day). So, I will say deep speed equal with a slight edge to Higgins. Now let's look at quicks and explosion:

Pitttman Higgins Cooks Isaac Bruce (forty 4.55)
Vert 36.5 31 36 36.5
Broad 121 123 120 N/A
3 Cone 6.96 N/A 6.76 N/A
20 Yd Shuttle 4.14 4.5 3.81 4.15

Size-wise Higgins and Pittman are about the same-- both 6'4" with Pittman +7 lbs and Higgins arms an inch and half longer.

Neither player has Cooks' ridiculous start and stop ability. But Pittman is an extremely explosive player--especially factoring in his size. Pittman's explosive traits lead me to believe he is much more likely to create separation in the NFL than Higgins.

Experience wise Higgins gets this all day. But Pittman took over 1900 snaps in college and has over 160 receptions. I have no concerns with Pittman's experience.

Trait-wise--both players are dominant at the catch point with massive catch radius. Higgins gets off the line vs press better and Pittman runs better routes.

While neither player replaces Cooks' skill set in total, I believe Pittman is the better choice for the Rams given his likely ability to do more of the things Cooks was able to do. The Rams will definitely change things up for either player--but which player gives you greater flexibility. The comparison between these two is quite interesting and I look forward to seeing how they play throughout the years.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Article about GM Draft Pick Trading Tendencies

rampage666317April 18, 2020 01:23PM

Re: Article about GM Draft Pick Trading Tendencies

Ramsdude177April 18, 2020 01:41PM