Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 23 and tangential thoughts

April 18, 2020 11:11AM
I do think the D line will be stout against the run which is very important in the NFC West.

I thought Sebastian Joseph-Day really developed as a player. I am hopeful Gaines has value as a rotational run stuffer.

A'Shawn Robinson brings some serious talent to the Rams defense. He seems like a perfect fit for a (presumably) Brandon Staley/Fangio defense.

It was fortunate to get Brockers back. We know AD is a future Hall of Famer. So there is high quality with the starters and some good rotational depth on the D line.

The Rams 2020 personnel does remind of Fangio 3-4 defense that had big D lineman who could take away the run. It reminds me of Fangio Bears' defenses that seemed to move the Rams from a play-action team to a flustered pass-heavy offense.

Goff can look like Moon with pass protection and the play-action game working. (I'm very interested to see more of the Waggle game particularly against teams with a strong rush.) Goff, like all QBs, looks less effective in the face of a heavy rush. I want the Rams to defense to be able to do that to other teams. You know I am partial to pass rushers. They are hard to find and they are worth their weight gold when you have them. They go early in the draft and get paid handsomely in the FA because they are QB kryptonite. We know what a QB means to a team and how much draft and cap space resources a team allocates to their QB. A heavy rush can take that expensive QB's contributions away.

The Rams could not keep all the FAs. I get it. The Rams had a well thought out plan. It is interesting to see it unfold. For a defense to get 46 sacks is a good year. To loose 23 is considerable. It had to be done but some resources will need to be invested there. Picking up a 2nd this year by trade and adding a 3 and 4 in compensatory picks next year certainly helps. Some young veterans need to step into larger roles. These include Reynolds, Everett, Kizer and multiple O &D linemen as well as young vet CBs. Obo has some rush ability. He should be healthy, highly motivated and have opportunities, especially in passing situations. An Obo Ebu rotation makes some sense to me.

I am hopeful OLB Leonard Floyd's contract will eventually be revealed to be an "up to" 10 mil contract that is heavily incentive-based. Staley knew what he was getting there. Floyd has some rare traits. How many 6'6" men that can run a 4.60/40 are on the planet? He got a prove-it deal in a familiar system. It is a tough year to implement a new system. There will be a lot of opportunities for classroom installation on Zoom and probably a lot less time for installation on the practice field. Floyd knowing the system is more valued this offseason than it typically would be. He has a broader game than a pin your ears back type.

I am excited about the draft.

I am absolutely thrilled about the 2nd rounder for Cooks. (Gurley has the right to say he wants to make millions and if he needs knee replacements it is an acceptable trade-off. Humanistically I'll say I wish Cooks could walk away. He is a millionaire. He is young. He proved his point. He played exceptionally well at the highest level. It would have been hard to watch him get future concussions on the Rams. It will still be difficult to see from afar on another team. I wish him a full lifetime of good brain health.) I do like McVay's bite the bullet, clean the slate right way, and reload mentality. It seems like a good long term strategy from the position the Rams were in at the beginning of the offseason.

To have 2 second-round picks, 2 third-round picks and a 4th-round pick at this point is interesting. You and I are on the same page with a RB. I hope they get one of the top 5 RBs to rotate with Henderson. I am thrilled the Rams will get a WR from this extraordinarily deep WR draft. Maybe there is an Edge in 2nd who could help the Rush. Maybe a potential LT falls to 52. An IOL and an ILB are certainly possible. There is a chance to add some young cheap talent, a chance to pick up multiple starters.

I would bring back Joe Gibbs as a consultant. I am joking but he always seemed to know how to win a SB in a short season.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2020 11:55AM by Rams Junkie.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Where are we getting our pass rush from?

droopy634April 17, 2020 09:08AM

Top 15 Pass Rushers in Draft- CFN

Rampage2K-317April 17, 2020 11:56AM

Re: Where are we getting our pass rush from?

Classicalwit358April 17, 2020 12:07PM

Hazlet Hacksaw225April 17, 2020 12:23PM

I really wanted to keep Fowler....

SunTzu_vs_Camus176April 18, 2020 01:47PM

Re: I really wanted to keep Fowler....

Classicalwit170April 18, 2020 02:31PM

Classicalwit160April 18, 2020 02:24PM

Re: It’s a need imo

Speed_Kills228April 17, 2020 04:04PM

Rams Junkie243April 17, 2020 07:53PM

Re: yeah didn’t include Littleton

Speed_Kills241April 17, 2020 08:01PM

Re: 23

Rams43209April 18, 2020 08:27AM

Re: 23 and tangential thoughts

Rams Junkie431April 18, 2020 11:11AM

pass rush...

LMU93205April 18, 2020 11:21AM

Jones, Olsen, Grier, Lundy

waterfield186April 18, 2020 12:42PM

Re: Jones, Olsen, Grier, Lundy

Rams Junkie179April 18, 2020 01:21PM

Check out LB Curtis Weaver

ramzilla204April 18, 2020 01:56PM

Re: Terrell Lewis. I bet Rams are eyeing him...

spagsbacker223April 18, 2020 02:39PM

Terrell Lewis Injury history

ramzilla187April 18, 2020 04:29PM