Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colts Accused of Stealing Logo

April 16, 2020 01:45PM
Living here in the Indianapolis area and I saw this in the paper and thought of us Rams fans.
I guess it happens with all teams in one way or another. Sorry, I don't know how to get the photos to show up so you might want to click on the link instead.

Link: Vice principal accuses Colts of stealing logo

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but designer and former Cathedral vice principal Jere Kubuske is calling out the Indianapolis Colts for stealing his logo design. The Colts said they were not aware of the Cathedral logo.

Monday, the Colts unveiled changes to their uniforms, highlighted by the inclusion of a new secondary logo to complement the classic horseshoe as well as a new primary wordmark and secondary color (anvil black).

The outline of the state of Indiana stands out in the middle of the new-look "C." The dots -- or grommets -- are a nod to the original horseshoe logo, which also has seven grommets.

The Colts introduced their new "Indiana" secondary logo on Monday, April 13, 2020.
The Colts introduced their new "Indiana" secondary logo on Monday, April 13, 2020. (Photo: The Indianapolis Colts)
This is the design detail Kubuske said the Colts took from him.

Coach Kubuske
@CoachKubuske
Good to know that even though I’m in WI now, I can still contribute to life in Indy. Thank you @Colts for ripping off my logo for @CathedralFBall
View image on Twitter

11:41 AM - Apr 13, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

261 people are talking about this

Kubuske posted several pictures of the Cathedral logo he produced in 2017 to his Twitter account.

He said he often tagged the Colts in tweets featuring the logo. He added that Cathedral grad and current Colts tight end Jack Doyle's connection to the school means someone from the Colts could have seen the logo.

Colts Vice President of Communications Steve Campbell said the logo was designed by the NFL and the league and team were unaware of the Cathedral logo.

"We have great respect for our friends at Cathedral, and we would never purposefully take an idea from them to as our own," Campbell said in an email to IndyStar. "That's just not how the Colts do business. The new Colts Indiana logo was an independent creation that was designed by the NFL, as are most team marks and logos, and was not designed locally. The Colts and the league were unaware of the other logo, and we wouldn't have moved forward otherwise. But we will look into the matter.

"Nonetheless, both the Colts and coach Kubuske had the same goals at heart -- promoting athletics and paying tribute to our home state."

Coach Kubuske
@CoachKubuske
· Apr 13, 2020
Replying to @CoachKubuske
And for those wondering how the @Colts would have seen it, we tagged them regularly in posts because of using their facilities, playing in their stadium, a for@we players coaches at Cathedral, and one of our alumni @doylejack84 plays for them!! #LifelongConnections

Coach Kubuske
@CoachKubuske
Here is my original logo sheet and date of creation.
View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

12:41 PM - Apr 13, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

17 people are talking about this

Reactions to the new secondary logo have been mixed from Colts fans. It's unclear whether fans have Kubuske to thank for the inspiration or not.

Follow IndyStar sports producer Akeem Glaspie on Twitter at @THEAkeemGlaspie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 01:56PM by Ram Fan Teacher.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Colts Accused of Stealing Logo Attachments

Ram Fan Teacher532April 16, 2020 01:45PM

Re: At least the Colts stole a good looking Logo.

oldschoolramfan156April 16, 2020 02:02PM

Re: Colts Accused of Stealing Logo

IowaRam174April 16, 2020 02:18PM

Rampage2K-152April 16, 2020 03:02PM

moklerman150April 16, 2020 03:08PM

SoCalRAMatic134April 17, 2020 06:38AM