Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Take the money and run, awful truth about NFL injuries, Cooks and Gourley

April 10, 2020 04:10AM
Running backs historically have a short shelf life. Gourley had a serious knee injury in college. What he did thereafter was remarkable. The extension he was given was foolish, but based on his production he had the Rams over a barrel. The future looked bright so they paid him big. But a running back with his knee was running on borrowed time. Cooks produced and was an important cog in a great offense. A vital cog in the offense, like Gourley. But his concussion situation limited his playing time, cost him games and production even when he was able to play. Singing him to a large exertion before playing a down seemed overly optimistic, but less risky for a receiver than a running back. In retrospect though I am sure the team would love a do over.

Over the last year neither player was able to contribute much, certainly nowhere near to the extent they were being paid. It was obvious that they were dead weight on the Rams going forward. The two large contracts like an anchor tied around the neck of the Rams. Trying to manage Gourley was foolish in retrospect. Other teams were not fooled by it and it held the team back. I’m glad for each player that they were paid well, but the price they each paid with their health was tremendous. A sad situation which occurs in the NFL over and over. I would not bet that Gourley can even pass a physical, but would that he will not withstand the beating on his body and specifically his knee much longer. TG I love what you did for the Rams, please take the money and run, run away from damaging your body more. Brandon Cooks you may feel fine physically, but with what we know about concussions you are risking even more trying to play another season.. Take your money and protect your future too.

I am thankful that the team was able to rid themselves of two players who are no longer reliable and who cannot be counted on to produce at a level necessary for the Rams to compete at the upper level of the NFL. I’m sad they are gone. The best case is they help their new teams and play a few more seasons and fade away thereafter because of a lack of ability to compete at the upper levels. Worst case, Gourley is severely crippled the rest of his life after a season ; Cooks is facing cognitive issues the rest of his life and might play a season or two without another concussion. But, it wouldn’t take that bet,, even at a 1000 to 1. It’s a game where although the rules have changed to protect players, they cannot. It is fundamentally based on brutal physical contact. The physics of just falling to the hard turf at full speed can result in a concussion and permanent damage. The very best scenario in my estimation is for them to take the small fortune they have made and retire. Life is short, it should be enjoyed. It will be much easier to enjoy if your not in pain everyday. Be thankful you each accomplish a lot in your NFL careers. Thanks for what you did for the Rams!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2020 04:31AM by hammer.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Take the money and run, awful truth about NFL injuries, Cooks and Gourley

hammer305April 10, 2020 04:10AM