Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - Dec. 30, 2019

December 30, 2019 02:09PM

(Opening Remarks)
“From an injury standpoint, updating a couple of those guys from yesterday – (Lcool smiley Cory Littleton had, basically, a pulmonary contusion. He just needs some rest, no contact. He’ll be okay. That sounds a lot worse – I look at your guys’ faces – I think he’s going to be okay. Just take some rest and fortunate we got some good news there. Still waiting on the MRI results for (DL Michael) Brockers. You guys saw him where he had a cast on, but the severity of that – we don’t know entirely quite yet what that is. Both those guys did a great job competing. The other thing is, this is obviously a little bit different scenario than we’ve been used to over the last couple years. What I will continue to reiterate, that I said to the team today, is that I’m extremely proud of their consistent approach day-in and day-out. Their demeanor in what has been an up and down season – they’ve been consistent in the way they came into this building, the way that they worked. I thought yesterday was a great reflection of – a lot of people probably assumed, ‘Hey, guys aren’t going to show up and compete,’ And they did the exact opposite. They did that. I wasn’t surprised, but I was happy for them to be able to end with a win and to cap this season off the right way. It is tough – make no excuses – because we got to this point based on what our résumé’s been over 16 games. We’re the one team with a winning record that has been left out (of the playoffs). I think there’s 13 teams with winning records, 12 of them are in the playoffs, we’re left out. But, I’m never going to make excuses and I’m certainly excited about learning all the things that this season entailed. There’s a lot of things that I saw from a positive, from our players, from our coaches, that demonstrated that mental toughness, the resilient mindset and mentality that we’re looking for. Those are things that you wouldn’t get a chance to evaluate and see otherwise.

“For the coaches and for the players – really, and for myself – we told these guys, ‘We appreciate you.’ We’re going to take today – the coaches will be off the rest of the week. It’ll be good for us to all just kind of reflect on the season. Then, I’ll get a chance to meet with all of them early next week, figure out what that looks like as we move forward as a staff and figure out how to get better. That will be the same process for a lot of our free agents, different things like that as we try to figure out what’s the best way to put together the most competitive team that we can and be more consistent in how we perform week-in and week-out.

“Very appreciative of our players and there’s a lot of good things that have come in what is a disappointing ending and something we all expected to be playing after. But, this is where we’re at.”

(On if there is anger or frustration because of where the team is)
“Never would I use the word anger. I don’t know if you’re just looking to see, ‘What could you have done more to be part of the solution and to prevent this feeling?’ But, I think the further that you get away from it – because when you watch the two teams (Seattle and San Francisco) having a great game last night and you think about some of these teams that are getting an opportunity to extend their season based on what they’ve done over their 16 games, I’m disappointed that we don’t get a chance to still compete for our players, for our coaches. You always want to say, ‘What could you have done more, maybe, to change being in this position?’ I hope everybody has that same mindset and mentality. I think the further that you get away from it – and I know for me, personally – the perspective will be very valuable and something that you learn from, even though it’s been disappointing.”

(On if he knows of any players who will need surgery in the offseason)
“We’re working through all that. Once I get with (Senior Director, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and the medical staff and all those things, there’s a lot of stuff that goes into where guys are at, how those exit physicals all come out. Those are things that we discuss a little bit later on.”

(On S Eric Weddle claiming to not want to return to the team next season as a backup and if he has spoken with Weddle on Monday)
“I think that a lot of this is, ‘Let’s take a step away to be able to give’ – I want to see how he’s feeling. I know there’s still so many emotions riding on just this season finishing up. I thought it was the right way for our team. Certainly, you have to make decisions that are in the future, but to truly focus on, ‘Let’s try to put our energy into this last game.’ Then, when you have to handle the things that we’ll handle in the upcoming weeks, that’s when that timetable will come – those conversations. I think to be able to give a clarity to (S) Eric (Weddle) to get a feel for where, how is he feeling – because he fought through some things this year. He’s played a lot, had a great career. I think we’ll have a conversation – we talked a little bit today, but he and I will have a discussion at length. Most importantly, it’s going to be clear, open and honest. I’m very thankful and I’ve learned a lot from him. He’s done a great job this year and we’ll see what that means for next season.”

(On TE Gerald Everett’s availability during yesterday’s game)
“He was available. He’s going to be a really good player that we believe has a bright future. (TE) Tyler’s (Higbee) done a really nice job and then some of the other things that we did, I think (TE) Johnny Mundt has earned the right to play, he performed at a high level. Those were just some of the personnel groupings that we felt like gave us the best chance to win yesterday.”

(On if he feels like he needs to make some major changes to get back to where he wants to be)
“I don’t want to ever use the word major. I think what you’ve got to look at is, let’s look at the entirety of it. This is something that is not as simple as just one thing here, one thing there. I think everything starts with people. We’ve got a lot of great people in this building and we want to continue to have great people in this building – both as players, as coaches – that continue to push the envelope, push the standards. Those are things that we will always look at to try to stay at the top of our game. You want to be able to surround yourself with people like that. I would never use that word, but I think there’s some things that we can look at. Like anything else, I’m excited to really continue to self-reflect and say, “Where are some of those things that maybe you could do a better job of to get the consistent-level of performance in that window of time that we do play.” That’s something that I’m excited about trying to figure out and how you navigate through some of the injuries. This year provided an opportunity for us…man, it was real unrealistic – the health that we had those first couple of years. You almost think you’re invincible and you take things for granted that. I know I certainly won’t now. I wouldn’t know that, had we not gone through some of the tough times this year. So, for that, it is a blessing, I’ll be appreciative of it and it’s going to make us stronger.”

(On when he talks about finding solutions is it something he does over time)
“I think so. It really is something that you take some time. I think there’s a lot of instances when it’s still so fresh, being able to take a step back, take a deep breath, hit the reset button, gives you a better vantage point to make sound decisions, that are firm, that are fair, but they also want to be timely and considerate of everyone that is involved. That’s what we will do and that’s what I’m excited about looking at. There’s a lot of different things. Now that you have at least a few years to be able to reflect on, it’s all about being able to lean on the right people and try to set things up for consistent and sustained some success.”

(On how he would evaluate his coaching job this season)
“I think ultimately we are measured by wins and losses. So, for that, I will never apologize for us not winning enough games to be able to continue to compete afterwards. For that, you feel like you fell short. What I do think was a positive, is that you get measured when you really do have some real adversity. We haven’t had anything, really negatively occur in the first couple of years. I was proud of the team’s consistent approach, and while it was challenging, I think you try to stay consistent. If you as your players and your coaches to be a certain way, I think it’s a great challenge for you to demonstrate those things. It was some ways that I got stretched that you haven’t been before. I do think that it will make me better, and I’ve got to get better. I’m never going to say that I’m doing a perfect job, but I think there is always that constant, ongoing evolution of finding a way to never let complacency set in. I think when you reflect on the entirety of the year, there are some positives that you can pull out of it. Ultimately, my job is to help us win games consistently, play consistently, and I didn’t do a good enough job of that to give us a chance to play afterwards. For that, you feel like you fell short.”

(On if he is confident that his players are being held to the same accountability that he holds for himself)
“I think so. What I’m not as worried about is, what’s the outside-in narrative. I see what the accountability that we expect of one another day-to-day, the standards that we set in this building and then, how that, hopefully, leads to consistent play and an ownership. We want extreme ownership from everybody. I’ve seen a lot of accountability from our players. I’ll tell you this too, I stay out of some of the things outside, so I might miss certain things that they might say to you guys. I’m kind of on a need-to-know basis, especially if you don’t want to let it affect the way you go about your business consistently day in and day out. I’ve seen that from the way that they work in this building. That’s what I’m most interested in and I think it’s a great opportunity to continue to pour into one another, learn from it and let it make us better.”

(On if there are any more contexts that he can give in terms of RB Todd Gurley II and the usage and the productivity from this year)
“Again, like we’ve talked about, there’s a lot of things that I thought he did a great job of. Then some of the production, whether it be some of the opportunities earlier on in the year when you’re getting a feel and kind of a flow for how we envisioned it working out, if you were going to use (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) and (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) as well. I think you did see a shift where we didn’t consistently run the football well enough as a team. That, obviously, affects your running backs’ production just because of the standard that he’s set over the last couple years. But I did think you saw a change in terms of the involvement where he was playing a lot more snaps since some of those things, probably there was a shift from the Chicago game on, or post Pittsburgh, if you will. I thought he gutted through and showed some really tough play down the stretch. There’s a lot of things that I think we can clean up just with our overall run game production. We’ve been a very productive team running the football for our first two years and if you said, ‘What’s the main difference?’ Even though there was a lot of things over this last month that I thought the offense did that felt more similar to what we did the first couple years, the big thing that stands out is our efficiency running the football and the production that we had. That makes a big difference.”

(On if there is a confidence level that if he chose to, he could get back to how they were)
“Oh yeah. That’s part of what…I’m confident in our players. I’m confident in our ability to get better. I think there was a lot of positives you take away. You have a lot of respect for the competition that this league provides from a coaches’ and a players’ standpoint week in and week out. But, no, I’m very confident that we’ll find a way to get some of this stuff fixed.”

(On the moment after the unsuccessful fake punt attempt)
“I was upset. There was a little bit of a miscommunication. Those are things that we want to try to avoid. That’s kind of really where I’ll leave it. You saw, I was not happy.”

(On if the miscommunication on the fake punt attempt affects the special teams coaching staff)
“No. (Special Team Coordinator) John Fassel is a great football coach. The players respond to him, I have the utmost respect and appreciation for him. One play or one miscommunication will never dictate or determine the way that I look at him or a certain player. But we all care a lot about it. I know he cares too. There was just a little bit of a mix up, miscommunication and ultimately, I’m responsible for it as much as ‘Bones’ is and those are things that we’ll get fixed.”

(On the offseason coming earlier than he’s used to and how that takes shape over the next few weeks)
“It’s a little bit different. This is the first time other than last year when it’s a positive problem when you know that’s going to be your last game. These are things that it’s the first time we’ve gone through it. But I would just say the things that you typically have to handle no matter what that’s just on an accelerate schedule. You’ve got a little bit more time to really evaluate your own scheme in addition to studying some things around the league – trends, stuff like that. You still go through your free agency, your draft preparation, your offseason programming – so all those things remain the same. But I would just say the timing at which you can kind of knock some of those things out or get a jump start is a little bit different just because of the unfortunate, the incident that we’re not able to play afterwards.”

(On if he or the organization has been contacted about assistants interviewing with other teams and if he expects turnover in his staff because of that)
“We have not, not like what last year. I think there’s a couple guys that may have some interest you know from some colleges but out of respect for the privacy of those places, I don’t want to get into that. I’m always going to be of the approach that you want to try to help guys. I don’t ever want assistants apologizing for being ambitious and wanting to grow and wanting to have their careers if they have the goals of being a head coach or taking the next step, depending upon where they’re at. I don’t think those are things that people should apologize for. I think part of what we want to try to do is help people grow. That’s why I was fortunate enough to get to the role that I got to at a young age because I had so many good people that were willing to help me. I was in a good situation, right timing, right place and a lot of things kind of had fallen into place to work out for that. Don’t anticipate a whole lot of those kind of like what you were asking with what happened last year. But again, usually those kind of conversations and those requests come in today and over the next couple days. We wouldn’t have known that last year either. You see kind of the buzz and if you’re writing if guys are going to be head coaching candidates on Gary Klein’s weekly profile for the L.A. Times, maybe you’ll get some guys requested (laughs).”

(On the lack of number one draft choices and how that slows down the development of the team)
“It’s a good question. I don’t want to say that it’s going to slow down or hamper. I think it’s about let’s figure out what’s the best way to put together the best team based on our personnel, some of the things that we have at our disposal to be able to acquire talent. I think what you’ve seen over the last couple of years is that we can get creative. Certainly, the draft picks are a very valuable asset that I think (General Manager) Les (Snead) and his group working in unison with our coaching staff have done a nice job of being able to develop and maximize guys. Those are things that will all continue to take shape as we move forward. We’re excited about that and figuring out what the best version of the Rams looks like from a player standpoint as we try to piece it together.”

(On everything the offensive line went through and them giving up the fewest sacks in the league and how that happened)
“Well, I think the players continued to play. I thought the coaches did a great job – a lot of adjusting and adapting on the fly from Coach (Run Game Coordinator Aaron) Kromer, (Offensive Quality Control) Zak Kromer, (Assistant Offensive Line Coach) Andy Dickerson. I think (T) Andrew Whitworth’s leadership, really impressed with (C) Austin Blythe’s command when he took over at playing that center spot. Anytime you just look at that number, sacks are always a reflection of the unit. I think exclusively, in a lot of instances, offensive linemen are not always accurately pegged for the responsibility of sacks. They are certainly very helpful, but I think the quarterback has a huge responsibility, the backs if they’re used in protection, and then the other eligibles separating in the timing and rhythm. In some instances, those guys are even asked to protect. We’ve got receivers that are willing to protect, obviously the tight ends are used. I think it’s a great reflection of the entire unit and their ability to work through some adjusting, some adapting and then ultimately it’s about the players’ execution.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky384December 30, 2019 02:09PM